Emc 10 And Core 2 Quad Technology

uff da

Question

3 answers to this question

It is supposed to speed up an individual application according to Intel's info… After reading pages of implementation strategy my head was swimming!

It seems you only want to turn it on in specific places within your program and turn it off otherwise. – Not written but that indicates that running it where is does little good would slow everything down!

Like Gary I think it is smoke and mirrors to cover up the fact that no progress has been made in cpu's for many years now.

Most won't recall that a chip with MMX technology was the chip to have at one time! Of course I found that side by side my slower 133mhz ran circles around the "faster" 166mhz w/MMX... - hype!

Just like SSE, SSE2/3 & 4. The application must be written to specifically take advantage of the additional CPU code. I know of only one video editor that 'supposedly' recognizes and uses it - Adobe. But my simple tests show having that doesn't really make a huge difference either.

Yes, Videowvae/MyDVD are multithreaded, but personally, I feel multithreading is all INTEL hype. Multithreading doesn't speed up any ONE individual application, but it does allow using more than one application simultaneously without slowing the other applications.

Archived