Use Of Mydvd To Create Custom Dvds

spetrillo

Question

Hello all,

I am trying to use MyDVD to create a double layer DVD with two movies on it. I have created the menu for this and added the movies linked to the two items on the main menu. Once this was done I hit the burn button in the top right and it began to transcode the 2 movies. It finished but it never actually burned this to the DL DVD. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,

Steve

13 answers to this question

Ok some more info for all to chomp on and advise....

I am in the middle of encoding the second movie. I was poking around wondering where all this transcoding/encoding was going, and I found in the TEMP directory under MY DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS two directories called MYDVD_TMP and VIDEO_TS. In the MYDVD_TMP was a directory called IMAGES and in that directory was an ISO file called IMAGE.ISO. This ISO was growing in size before my very eyes, which leads me to believe that MYDVD writes to the temp directory before it writes to a DVD.

So the questions are as follows:

1) Is my assumption right in that MYDVD does write to this temp area before it burns to DVD?

2) If the drive that holds this temp area runs out of space before it gets to burn the DVD does it just say completed rather than put up an error message? I think this is true and should be a bug report.

3) Can I change this via an option change so that all temp space usage is on my larger data drive so I avoid an out of space condition?

Its funny I should have realized something was amiss. When I went to burn the DVD earlier this evening, with the settings at FIT TO DISC, it wouldnt let me burn saying I did not have enough space to fit the images even though it seemed like it fit on the DL DVD. I had about 8 gig of free space on this drive in question, and ended up picking the EP option, which shrunk the final images to a little over 7 gig, which I guess will fit on the drive.

Thanks,

Steve

1) yes, 2) no, it should stop and show an error message. 3) yes... Go to TOOLS / OPTIONS

ONLY 8GB FREE on your boot drive!!!!!!!! I'm surprised that Windows would even function with that little space. Even printing a long document take up that much space. Sounds like you need to do some serious file cleaning.

Use Windows own file cleaning to get rid of all temp files. Open My Computer, RIGHT click on C: and choose Properties. Just to the right of the pie chart, click on Disk Cleanup. That would be a good start.

As a general rule, make sure you have 2x to 3x the project size before rendering. That would be absolutely the minimum space to keep from slowing things down or causing errors. Windows creates a ton of temp files itself. I wouldn't ever let my boot drive free space get less than 10 or 15GB.

1) yes, 2) no, it should stop and show an error message. 3) yes... Go to TOOLS / OPTIONS

ONLY 8GB FREE on your boot drive!!!!!!!! I'm surprised that Windows would even function with that little space. Even printing a long document take up that much space. Sounds like you need to do some serious file cleaning.

Use Windows own file cleaning to get rid of all temp files. Open My Computer, RIGHT click on C: and choose Properties. Just to the right of the pie chart, click on Disk Cleanup. That would be a good start.

As a general rule, make sure you have 2x to 3x the project size before rendering. That would be absolutely the minimum space to keep from slowing things down or causing errors. Windows creates a ton of temp files itself. I wouldn't ever let my boot drive free space get less than 10 or 15GB.

Well I did cleanup my C: drive and I got back about 3 gig, which is a good thing. I have Norton One Button now setup to run automatically to do these tasks, and yes I have already taken the steps to exclude the registry entry for EMC10.

New project is completing now, and I expect it to run through to completion. I moved everything off to my 500 gig eSata drive, so performance has picked up quite a bit. Now if I can only figure out how to use the menu functionality, but isnt that what trial and error is all about?

Thanks,

Steve

Possibly...but I dont think so. Where would be the default location of the folder set if I did do this?

Thanks,

Steve

Open the MyDVD project and press the Burn icon. In the next dialog box that pops up, does it show any box that has a check mark beside it? That page shows the path where the image file/video-folder set is saved.

Or a sknis pointed out, search your C drive for files that has an extension of ISO, or a folder that contains *.vob files.

Open the MyDVD project and press the Burn icon. In the next dialog box that pops up, does it show any box that has a check mark beside it? That page shows the path where the image file/video-folder set is saved.

Or a sknis pointed out, search your C drive for files that has an extension of ISO, or a folder that contains *.vob files.

Ok I checked both of my hdds for any .iso or .vob files and none were found other than default .vob that came with EMC 10. I am going to try this once again tonight and I will post exactly what options I pick. I am very confused by this.

Thanks for the responses,

Steve

In addition to what Gary said, make a folder, somewhere on you hard drive, outside of Documents and Settings, preferably, on a different hard drive, or partition.

Ok I made sure I sure I selected the first option to burn to disc and not the bottom two for folders or ISO. I did change the default location of both to my larger data drive. It is transcoding as we speak, but nothing has been burned to the disc yet. I assume this happens once the transcoding is complete.

Thanks,

Steve

Archived