Can't Burn Cd-r Or Dvd-r On Benq 1655

theagguy

Question

Is anyone using a BenQ DW1655 drive and Roxio Easy Media Creator 8? Looks like there is a problem with Roxio and this new drive.

Recently installed a BenQ DW1655 DVD rewriter on a Dell running Windows XP with all service packs and updates. The drive came with Nero and it seems to work fine - have burned both CD-R's and DVD-R's in Nero.

Installed Easy Media Creator 8 and can burn CD-RW and DVD-RW media but get a "SENS" error when trying to burn more than 100 MB to a CD-R or DVD-R. Have tried both Creator Classic and Drag to Disc and have tried 3 different types of CD-R and one type of DVD-R media - all fail at some piont during burning "Media status notification for Drive F:\: Write failure while accessing the media' followed by either One or more files failed to copy correctly. The copy may have been cancelled or there may not be enough free space to complete the copy. Free space is GB." or "Cannot copy filename: This disk is write-protected.".

I e-mailed customer support who told me to call Tech support. Tech support helped me find the error code and told me that the drive needs a firmware upgrade or is broken. Can't believe it is broken since Nero works. Called BenQ and found that I am running the newest firmware (GCAB).

How Roxio was installed: Rather than uninstall Nero and risk having some remnants left over, I used system restore to reset the computer to the state that it was in before installing Nero. Then uninstalled Easy CD creator 5 Platinum and ran RoxioZap for insurance. Then installed Easy Media Creator 8.

I really want my Drag to Disk back! Save the lecture on UDF writing being unreliable - we have had very few problems with DirectCD and Drag to Disk as long as we used CD-R media instead of RW. We don't use it for backup purposes but for shuttling files between computers. Nero had InCD but this only works with RW media and will not read my Roxio disks. I assume that if I finalize the disks, Nero will read them but that isn't the issue.

If anyone is having good uck with this drive, let me know - that might give me some direction as to where to go next. Can't really send the drive back as it works properly so guess I wait for a Roxio update.

7 answers to this question

Nothing wrong with the drive, if you have the latest firmware installed. Your problem could be that if you had Nero installed, you also had InCD isntalled at the same time as Drag to Disc. That just won't work. You need to get rid of one or the other.

Using packet writing software for transferring files from one computer, to another, as you do it, is okay. I sure wouldn't use it for anything else. I actually won't load any packet writing software on my computer.

Thanks,

I did the system restore to avoid any problems with InCD (also did a quick registry scan). A also have the same problem in Creator Classic as I do in Drag to Disc. Since this is a new model from BenQ, I'm thinking that there is something going on between Roxio and the drive, hence the question about others using this drive. Think the only solution is to wait for either a firmware update or Roxio update.

Tried using Sonic DLA and had more success, actually burned 100+MB to a disk! Unfortunately that was not bug-free either - it took a verrrry long time to burn and the software and drive got out of sync - would kick out the CD and then say that it was preparing to to eject and it might take a few minutes.

Am going to try installing Roxio's UDF reader so that I can at least read the old disks and will burn new disks with Nero.

BTW, is that a picture of a GSP next to your handle?

Thanks,

I did the system restore to avoid any problems with InCD (also did a quick registry scan). A also have the same problem in Creator Classic as I do in Drag to Disc. Since this is a new model from BenQ, I'm thinking that there is something going on between Roxio and the drive, hence the question about others using this drive. Think the only solution is to wait for either a firmware update or Roxio update.

Tried using Sonic DLA and had more success, actually burned 100+MB to a disk! Unfortunately that was not bug-free either - it took a verrrry long time to burn and the software and drive got out of sync - would kick out the CD and then say that it was preparing to to eject and it might take a few minutes.

Am going to try installing Roxio's UDF reader so that I can at least read the old disks and will burn new disks with Nero.

BTW, is that a picture of a GSP next to your handle?

Don’t install the Reader! XP has a built in Reader and it is more current than anyone you have…

I use D2D myself although since I have a network it is pretty rare to use it…

Is anyone using a BenQ DW1655 drive and Roxio Easy Media Creator 8? Looks like there is a problem with Roxio and this new drive.

Recently installed a BenQ DW1655 DVD rewriter on a Dell running Windows XP with all service packs and updates. The drive came with Nero and it seems to work fine - have burned both CD-R's and DVD-R's in Nero.

Installed Easy Media Creator 8 and can burn CD-RW and DVD-RW media but get a "SENS" error when trying to burn more than 100 MB to a CD-R or DVD-R. Have tried both Creator Classic and Drag to Disc and have tried 3 different types of CD-R and one type of DVD-R media - all fail at some piont during burning "Media status notification for Drive F:\: Write failure while accessing the media' followed by either One or more files failed to copy correctly. The copy may have been cancelled or there may not be enough free space to complete the copy. Free space is GB." or "Cannot copy filename: This disk is write-protected.".

I e-mailed customer support who told me to call Tech support. Tech support helped me find the error code and told me that the drive needs a firmware upgrade or is broken. Can't believe it is broken since Nero works. Called BenQ and found that I am running the newest firmware (GCAB).

How Roxio was installed: Rather than uninstall Nero and risk having some remnants left over, I used system restore to reset the computer to the state that it was in before installing Nero. Then uninstalled Easy CD creator 5 Platinum and ran RoxioZap for insurance. Then installed Easy Media Creator 8.

I really want my Drag to Disk back! Save the lecture on UDF writing being unreliable - we have had very few problems with DirectCD and Drag to Disk as long as we used CD-R media instead of RW. We don't use it for backup purposes but for shuttling files between computers. Nero had InCD but this only works with RW media and will not read my Roxio disks. I assume that if I finalize the disks, Nero will read them but that isn't the issue.

If anyone is having good uck with this drive, let me know - that might give me some direction as to where to go next. Can't really send the drive back as it works properly so guess I wait for a Roxio update.

Nothing wrong with the drive, if you have the latest firmware installed. Your problem could be that if you had Nero installed, you also had InCD isntalled at the same time as Drag to Disc. That just won't work. You need to get rid of one or the other.

Using packet writing software for transferring files from one computer, to another, as you do it, is okay. I sure wouldn't use it for anything else. I actually won't load any packet writing software on my computer.

Called BenQ and found that I am running the newest firmware (GCAB).

Now that I have one. I only know of two 1655 BenQ firmwares, BCDB, BCGB.

Download there firmware test and have a look see.

http://www.benq.us/serviceandsupport/Drive...cfm?product=816

cdanteek

Thanks, got one arriving this week! I will mark the address.

James I'm disappointed in the firmware. Mine came with BCDB the BCGB is on a China support site.

The American site only has BCDB.

A read around at cdfreaks in the BenQ forum the BCGB has no better support for DL disc's.

I trashed my first DL +R Verbatim MKM 001 today on this drive at 4x. It's stuck at 2.4x on this drive

until a Firmware update fix's it! I did reburn one a 2.4 and it scanned good.

My BenQ 1640 can burn this disc at 6x! Single sided firmware support is good. Verbatim 16X + -R

and Taiyo Yuden -R 8x it likes and scans are very good.

cdanteek

Archived