TeddyMac

Problems With Backontrack3

8 answers to this question

I have Creator 10 with Back on Track V4. I have problems with restoring four DVDs that I made from an XP to be restored in a Vista computer. The first time I tried to restore it it locked up after the 2d DVD. I have tried repeatedly since then, but it keeps locking up.

Very vexing.

Couldn't get your link to work TeddyMac.

Here the link, I think ... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2276269,00.asp

I am having a problem with BackOnTrack 3

I have XP Home with all latest software/ firmware updates, SP2 and latest XP Updates (Automatic Update).

When I try to make a "Disaster Recovery Set" BackOnTrack 3 hangs after the first DVD is created.

It goes into Checking Recording speed mode and never will start copying to the second DVD.

I then tried to make a "Disaster Recovery Set" to a second hard drive instead, just to make sure that it's not a problem burning to DVD.

BackOnTrack 3 Disaster Recovery starts out fine then hangs after 6GB is copied to the second hard drive.

Fresh boots, no malware, no spyware etc (I use 3 different programs for that).

Firewall turned off. Virus Protection disabled (temporarily, of course) ... should be no problems.

Same thing happens when trying to burn to DVD's or to second hard drive ... works fine thru first part then hangs.

I sure hope they can resolve the issue, I tried an update through BackOnTrack 3 but it says none available.

I bought this software so I could have a Recovery Set and do periodic backups for my business computer.

So far, I would be just as well off using XP's built-in backup ... which IMO sucks since it asks for a floppy disk for disaster recovery disk.

My Computer is a laptop and has no floppy disk ... just CD or DVD.

If anyone knows of a work around or patch for BackOnTrack 3 please let me know.

Thanks all!

Dave

CADesign

Edited by CADesign

I bought BackOnTrack3 / not BOT-Online / April 28, 2008. I used to use StompInc BackUpMyPC which Roxio/Sonic bought out but I wanted to upgrade to something more current. When I tried to do Disaster Recovery, it tells my *Windows is not installed on my primary disk* or it's an unsupported dynamic drive... None of that's true. My single 60G IDE drive laptop formatted as a basic NTFS system is all there is.

I sent suppport contact message, they replied & after several messages asked for my system info file, I sent it May 2 and I've not heard a word since then. So in desperation, I'm looking for a simple disaster backup alternative... suggestions appreciated.

Thanks. Stomped.

I bought BackOnTrack3 / not BOT-Online / April 28, 2008. I used to use StompInc BackUpMyPC which Roxio/Sonic bought out but I wanted to upgrade to something more current. When I tried to do Disaster Recovery, it tells my *Windows is not installed on my primary disk* or it's an unsupported dynamic drive... None of that's true. My single 60G IDE drive laptop formatted as a basic NTFS system is all there is.

I sent suppport contact message, they replied & after several messages asked for my system info file, I sent it May 2 and I've not heard a word since then. So in desperation, I'm looking for a simple disaster backup alternative... suggestions appreciated.

Thanks. Stomped.

Way back with Easy CD Creator 4, Roxio included Take Two as their backup utility, which I found was a great tool. Apparently updating it to work with Windows XP was too much work, so it was dropped with ECDC 5.1. After that I went with Acronis' True Image, which I still use.

I bought Back on track last year and have had nothin but problems with it.

Roxio help / support have never been able to resolve them, despite numerous e mails to them.

Never get a satisfactory answer, and left wondering if they should ever have put product on the market.

Once bitten twice shy.

:angry:

I BOUGHT BOT 3 AS A DISC FROM ROXIO IN OCTOBER, 08. OF COURSE, THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO DOCUMENTATION WITH THE DISC. I NEEDED TO TO A COMPLETE DISC BACKUP BECAUSE OF A DIRTY DOWNLOAD FROM MICROSOFT THAT APPARENTLY DINGED MY BOOT FILES. AFTER SPENDING MANY HOURS WITH DELL SUPPORT FOLKS, THEY ADVISE ME TO DO A C: FORMAT AND RELOAD. I DID A DISASTER BACK UP ONTO A DISASTER RECOVERY SET (18GB) CONSISTING OF 5 DVD+R DISCS. THERE IS A PARTITION #1 OF 40 MB AND SECOND PARTITION OF 118 GB. AFTER FORMATING C: AND RELOADING WINDOWS FROM THE REINSTALLATION DISC SUPPLIED BY DELL(WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION) AND FOUR ITEMS FROM THE RESOURCE DISC, SUPPLIED BY DELL, I THEN INSERTED MY RECOVERY DISC AND REBOOTED AS DIRECTED. I SELECTED THE INDIVIDUAL RESTORE BECAUSE THE FULL DISC BACKUP OPTION WOULD NOT EVEN OPEN. PARTITION #1 (FIRST DISC CREATED DURING FULL DISC BACKUP PROCEDURE) RESTORED NICELY.

PARTITION #2 (SECOND DISC CREATED DURING BACKUP) STARTED VERY WELL, THEN STOPPED, AT 700MB WITH A MESSAGE THAT THE BACKUP FILE WAS NOT VALID AND THAT I CANNOT BACK UP FROM THIS DISC, REMOVE ALL DISCS AND CLICK FINISH TO REBOOT COMPUTER. I HAVE REPEATED THE ATTEMPT TO BACK UP PARTITION #2 SEVERAL TIMES USING EACH OF THE OTHER RECOVERY DISC SET WITH THE SAME RESULT. I EVEN REFORMATED THE C: DRIVE AGAIN!

THIS IS BECOMING INSANITY AND THERE IS NO APPARENT RESPONSE FROM THE ROXIO DEEMED WORTHY OF THEIR TIME. THE ONLINE CHAT WAS A JOKE AND VERY SHORTLY HALTED WHEN THEIR FIRST SUGGESTED FIX WAS TRIED AND FAILED.

PARTITION #2 (SECOND DISC CREATED DURING BACKUP) STARTED VERY WELL, THEN STOPPED, AT 700MB WITH A MESSAGE THAT THE BACKUP FILE WAS NOT VALID AND THAT I CANNOT BACK UP FROM THIS DISC, REMOVE ALL DISCS AND CLICK FINISH TO REBOOT COMPUTER. I HAVE REPEATED THE ATTEMPT TO BACK UP PARTITION #2 SEVERAL TIMES USING EACH OF THE OTHER RECOVERY DISC SET WITH THE SAME RESULT. I EVEN REFORMATED THE C: DRIVE AGAIN!

THIS IS BECOMING INSANITY AND THERE IS NO APPARENT RESPONSE FROM THE ROXIO DEEMED WORTHY OF THEIR TIME. THE ONLINE CHAT WAS A JOKE AND VERY SHORTLY HALTED WHEN THEIR FIRST SUGGESTED FIX WAS TRIED AND FAILED.

I know this is a bit like pouring salt on an open wound, but did you verify the backup set prior to reformatting your drive?

One possible solution would be to try and copy the backup files off the discs and onto your HD. If that goes okay, then you can try opening them with BOT and see what happens. If you get an error, basically, it means the original burn was bad, either a bad disc, or a speck of dust... anything. Backups need to be verified before they can be depended on, and before the original data is destroyed. Paranoia is not a bad thing in this case.

Another thought for next time - Hard Drives are cheap these days. Get a new drive for the new install, and keep the old one for backup. With an IDE-USB cable, you can plug it into the computer and take a look at the data (programs won't work).

Lynn