Smokerz

A Joke , Eh?

Question

Its been so long ago when I first bought toast. I think the version was 4.0, then 5, then 6,then 7,then 8 now 9. How about some customer appreciation for spending hundreds of dollars. I'm not going to opt for 9 because Toast 8 with Leopard was a failure as far as I'm concerned. Roxio never fixed 8 now more money for 9. How many bugs are in this piece of antiquated software.

11 answers to this question

Toast 8 works fine in Leopard.

My Spin Doctor as part of Toast 8 bundle does not work fine! I am not the only one with spin Doctor issues either. The ONLY reason I bought a Macbook and Toast was to transfer my vinyl over. I would spend the money on Toast 9 if I knew it would work properly as I love the spin doctor interface when it works. I wish Roxio Support would help but so far I havent found a solution.

Toast 8 works fine in Leopard.

No, it doesn't.

As I've posted elsewhere:

I have the latest update of Toast (8.0.3) up in Leopard (10.5.1). Toast consistently crashes after:

* playing any audio

* after completeing a burn.

(Usually the disc is OK, but not always.)

This might be a Quicktime 7.4.1 issue.

If I disable the "bing" in Prefs it does not crash after the burn. Not only that, but with the "bing" disabled I can play audio jumping from track to track with no problem! (It still crashes after playing audio in the Crossfades window, at least under Quicktime 7.4.1.)

Maybe you should install 10.5.2. 10.5 and 10.5.1 where extremely buggy and many applications didn't work correctly.

Does not take a rocket scientist to think the problem with Toast goes away with the Leopard 10.5.2 update. It does not go away and I'm not going to cold re-boot my Mac just because Toast behaves buggy, that is crashes. I'll read these forums and when Toast 9 has ZERO bugs with Leopard or Tiger I'll upgrade but not for anything over $59.00. I haven't used Toast for many, many months. Its just not digital enough in today's computer world.

Its been so long ago when I first bought toast. I think the version was 4.0, then 5, then 6,then 7,then 8 now 9. How about some customer appreciation for spending hundreds of dollars. I'm not going to opt for 9 because Toast 8 with Leopard was a failure as far as I'm concerned. Roxio never fixed 8 now more money for 9. How many bugs are in this piece of antiquated software.

I have had numerous problems with Toast 8.03. I use it to burn DVDs of items I move over using Tivo Transfer. It works less than half the time. Each time the tech support person emailed me an article from the FAQ which did not directly address my problem, and then closed my case. When I wrote back, I was ignored. We are supposed to get 90 days of free telephone support, but there is no working telephone number that I can find.

My DVD works fine using iDVD (2 GHz MacBook, OS 10.5.2 with 2GB RAM), but I get error messages like "The drive reported an error: Sense Key = Medium Error, Sense Code = 0x0C, Write Error". Sometimes Toast will just "hang" while writing the lead-out. Does anyone else see these errors?

There is an issue with Toast 8 that has been there since the first version. It still isn't fixed in 8.0.3 and didn't work under Tiger and still doesn't work under Leopard. To reproduce this, do the following:

Create a new DVD using MPEG streams. Save this DVD as a disc image and let it remultiplex the disc and save it (you can also do it by burning direct to a DVD, but you will end up with a coaster later). Once it has completed, do not quit Toast, but either remove the original MPEG streams or create a new DVD and repeat the process of saving as a disc image. In some cases I have been able to save two disc images and on the third one it will crash part way through. Most times it will crash on the second disc. I think more memory will help it get further before it crashes. I have tried the software through every version, and tried it on four different specification Macs (an old Aluminium G4 PowerBook, a Sawtooth G4, a Mac Mini Intel core 2 duo and a MacBook core 2 duo) with up to 4GB of RAM using Tiger and Leopard (multiple versions) and this has been completely reproducible across all those examples. I even bought Popcorn to see if that works better, but this is also reproducible in Popcorn (and even worse, when it crashes, you lose all your settings and have to start again, and in Popcorn, you can't even save your settings). Maybe this is because I normally pass a load of EyeTV recordings over to several DVDs when we go away on holiday to watch while we are away, but doesn't anyone else suffer from this? The only workaround is to fully quit Toast each time after you have burned a disc and re-open it. I suspect some kind of memory leak problem, but this is a basic fault with the software. I have sent in every single crash log, but nothing seems to have come of this. Now I need to go and post something similar in the Toast 9 folder to see if that does it, too. I don't want to splash out on that and find it still doesn't work.

BTW, does anyone know a way of getting Toast to remember what the menu background picture is when you save a disc image for making DVDs? It only seems to pick up the last one used, so if I record part of a series with a screen shot from the series as the background, then change it for a different series, opening the file from the first series again doesn't go back to the original background (so effectively burns a different DVD to the one that was saved). Is this just an oversight that was also never fixed in Toast 8 (any version) or am I the only person that burns DVDs this way, too?

Also, the subtitles that are supposed to work in Toast 8 never do unless it uses the American system of closed captioning. Since this isn't used in Europe, even though VLC will pick up the subtitles, Toast just ignores them.

I have used Toast since version 4, and back in the version 4 and 5 days, I don't remember such issues. There may not have been the same functionality, since DVDs, bigger CDs, Blu-Ray, etc. weren't around then, but it does seem that Toast has got a lot more buggy, and US-centric since those days.

Any comments appreciated.

There is an issue with Toast 8 that has been there since the first version. It still isn't fixed in 8.0.3 and didn't work under Tiger and still doesn't work under Leopard. To reproduce this, do the following:

Create a new DVD using MPEG streams. Save this DVD as a disc image and let it remultiplex the disc and save it (you can also do it by burning direct to a DVD, but you will end up with a coaster later). Once it has completed, do not quit Toast, but either remove the original MPEG streams or create a new DVD and repeat the process of saving as a disc image. In some cases I have been able to save two disc images and on the third one it will crash part way through.

Just double-checking. You say the crash also happens when you choose New Disc from the File menu as well as when you just replace the contents in the window with a new disc. Correct?

BTW, does anyone know a way of getting Toast to remember what the menu background picture is when you save a disc image for making DVDs?

I haven't checked if this is the same in Toast 9. You should suggest this to Roxio (see link at bottom of post).

Also, the subtitles that are supposed to work in Toast 8 never do unless it uses the American system of closed captioning. Since this isn't used in Europe, even though VLC will pick up the subtitles, Toast just ignores them.

Beyond my knowledge.

I have used Toast since version 4, and back in the version 4 and 5 days, I don't remember such issues. There may not have been the same functionality, since DVDs, bigger CDs, Blu-Ray, etc. weren't around then, but it does seem that Toast has got a lot more buggy, and US-centric since those days.

Toast has many more bugs than when it was designed to do far fewer things. I'd rather Roxio's team work hard on getting (nearly) everything right in Toast 9 than get diverted on a new project (such as a Popcorn upgrade) which is what may have happened too soon after Toast 8 was released. I'm in the U.S. so I can't discern if it is more US-centric.

Any comments appreciated.

Submit Toast Feedback

Edited by tsantee

subtitle from a DVD? or a srt file? Can you provide more details on what you mean?

Tsantee,

It is the amount of data created that seems to make Toast crash, even if it doesn't have to re-encode the stream (since it is in MPEG-2 DVD-compliant format). It happens if a select a new disc or if I delete old content of a previously-created disc and re-encode it (so correct on that).

Gaper1,

When EyeTV records, it records the full subtitle track. In Europe, this is done on a different system from closed captioning in the US. It dates back, I believe, to when subtitling was done using teletext features on old analogue TV, but seems to have kept a similar style for digital TV. It looks different from closed captioning, different coloured text for different people, and able to place itself on the screen in the "correct" location. Recordings from EyeTV have this subtitle data included in their MPEG programme streams (inflating the size of the file slightly). When you drop them into Toast, it discards this information (and doesn't bother doing anything with it, since no-one has coded the European-style subtitles into any routines in Toast). VLC quite happily picks up all the data and correctly displays the subtitles (even from exported MPEG programme streams) as does Elgato's EyeTV software. Toast says it will encode the subtitles onto a DVD, but it actually only means that if they are closed captioned (for standard TV). I believe it would take a standard European subtitle track from a DVD and encode that in, though I haven't tried it.

Thanks for the queries.

Gaper1,

When EyeTV records, it records the full subtitle track. In Europe, this is done on a different system from closed captioning in the US. It dates back, I believe, to when subtitling was done using teletext features on old analogue TV, but seems to have kept a similar style for digital TV. It looks different from closed captioning, different coloured text for different people, and able to place itself on the screen in the "correct" location. Recordings from EyeTV have this subtitle data included in their MPEG programme streams (inflating the size of the file slightly). When you drop them into Toast, it discards this information (and doesn't bother doing anything with it, since no-one has coded the European-style subtitles into any routines in Toast). VLC quite happily picks up all the data and correctly displays the subtitles (even from exported MPEG programme streams) as does Elgato's EyeTV software. Toast says it will encode the subtitles onto a DVD, but it actually only means that if they are closed captioned (for standard TV). I believe it would take a standard European subtitle track from a DVD and encode that in, though I haven't tried it.

Thanks for the queries.

you mean closed caption. don't think it was ever supposed to work with Toast. I could be wrong.