• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

trinko

Why I'm Not Upgrading

Question

I could live with an $80 upgrade cost. But forcing us to mail in a rebate form when we buy electronically from Roxio is just an attempt to rip us off. They know that people will forget or whatever. I've been buying Toast since it first came out. To make us print out stuff, put it in an envelope, mail it, and wait weeks for a rebate, assuming we did everything right, when we buy directly from Roxio's online store shows the sort of contempt for customers that really alienates me.

19 answers to this question

Apparently Roxio isn't evil just bad at website ads. If you go to the main Toast 9 page it says that it's $79.99 with a $20 mail in upgrade rebate. Now being a simple person i assume that going from Toast 8 to Toast 9 is upgrading. The rebate form does mention Toast Titanium to boot. But in fact there's another page where you find that upgrading is only $59.99 and no mail in required. So i did upgrade. But someone at Roxio should learn the difference between a sidegrade and an upgrade. But i'm glad they're not evil.

I could live with an $80 upgrade cost. But forcing us to mail in a rebate form when we buy electronically from Roxio is just an attempt to rip us off. They know that people will forget or whatever. I've been buying Toast since it first came out. To make us print out stuff, put it in an envelope, mail it, and wait weeks for a rebate, assuming we did everything right, when we buy directly from Roxio's online store shows the sort of contempt for customers that really alienates me.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/upgrade_center/to...ult_esdupg.html

$59.99 with an instant discount and not a mail in rebate. This purchase also includes the HD/BD Plug-in for a limited time.

I appreciate your comments on the mail in rebate, and thats why for the upgrade version we've offered an instant discount.

$59.99 with an instant discount and not a mail in rebate. This purchase also includes the HD/BD Plug-in for a limited time.

I appreciate your comments on the mail in rebate, and thats why for the upgrade version we've offered an instant discount.

Put me down as annoyed! I used the email Roxio sent me, which specifically refers to upgrading to Toast 9 (I have Toast 8), and charged me $79.99 for it, discounted from $99.99. The email refers to a $40 saving, which I took to be $20 for the blu-ray plug-in and a $20 discount. From your link, now I see I should have been charged $59, $20 less. Why is there always something about buying from Roxio that drives me crazy? Last time, it was the rebate, now I'm overcharged. Into the bargain, when I tried to register my purchase, the latest version of Toast that the registration page offered a choice of was Toast 6.

Edited by mike457

I tried to upgrade from my Toast Version to Toast 9 using the upgrade center of Roxio Webstore. In the Shopping chart are these Items:

Toast 9 Titanium -Upgrade ESD $59.99

Toast 9 HD and BD Plug-in - ESD 1 FREE

Toast 9 Titanium - ESD UG/EM $99.99

Rebate ($20 MIR) - Toast 9 Titanium 1 FREE

Toast 9 HD and BD Plug-in - ESD 1 FREE

Roxio Recommended BackUp D

For a total of 159.98 $. Wasn't I supposed to pay only 59.99$ for the upgrade? What exactly "Toast 9 Titanium - ESD UG/EMW" stands for?

Edited by delosio

Patrick,

I find this to be a bit perplexing.

I received an email from Roxio to purchase Toast 9 for $79.99 and get the plugin at no charge. I used the link in that email and purchased Toast 9 for $79.99 with the plugin included. I then downloaded both apps and registered them. You can verify this by reviewing my registered products.

I now see this link (not shown in the email which was sent to me and would have figured that I got the email since I was/have been a registered user of Toast products for a long time) which offers the same for $59.99, a difference of $20.00.

Is there a way to refund me the difference?

Thanks,

Bob

ps. Seems like the email notices should include the BEST offer for registered users. I am a registered user of Toast 8.

Patrick,

I find this to be a bit perplexing.

I received an email from Roxio to purchase Toast 9 for $79.99 and get the plugin at no charge. I used the link in that email and purchased Toast 9 for $79.99 with the plugin included. I then downloaded both apps and registered them. You can verify this by reviewing my registered products.

I now see this link (not shown in the email which was sent to me and would have figured that I got the email since I was/have been a registered user of Toast products for a long time) which offers the same for $59.99, a difference of $20.00.

Is there a way to refund me the difference?

Thanks,

Bob

ps. Seems like the email notices should include the BEST offer for registered users. I am a registered user of Toast 8.

Bob,

I think the easiest thing to do is take advantage of Roxio's refund policy and then repurchase at the lower price.

I received an upgrade offer from Rixio to upgrade for 29,99$. Not a bad deal. This offer does not include the HD plugin, but since I did not need it, I went for it.

I have emailed Roxio's customer service explaining that I think they should refund my credit card $20. I immediately received an email listing reasons why a price might not agree with the price quoted (taxes, shipping, and similar) and saying that if their reply did not cover my situation, I should reply to their email!!!!! :angry2: I REALLY hate automated replies! If I haven't heard back from them by the end of the day, I may try the refund/repurchase route.

More typical Roxio marketing! I really had hoped they had learned their lesson with the Toast 8 rebate thing but I guess not. So sad. I really had to search for the upgrade page to go from Toast 8 to 9. It wasn't easy to find. Any mention of purchasing Toast 9 SHOULD mention that there is an upgrade offer!!!

This company could be so great if they would just beef up the customer support and fixed the marketing issues. It is so frustrating!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

I received an upgrade offer from Rixio to upgrade for 29,99$. Not a bad deal. This offer does not include the HD plugin, but since I did not need it, I went for it.

You don't happen to have that URL you used? It may possibly work for me as well if it wasn't personalized :-) $59 is already better, but still a little high for the few features that are new...

ha...this is interesting. If i use the $59 url and switch to Germany, the upgrade price changes to €79.99 which is currently something like $126. What is wrong with the Roxio guys...are they drunk or something? It feels like they confused Euro with Deutsche Mark or something...

Edited by bnz

I used the email I was sent by Roxio and paid $79 for the " upgrade "

How do I send in a rebate form if I do not have a upc since I downloaded it ?

I really do not understand this at all....

I have upgraded every toast version since 5 and the last time I went to 8 I never got my rebate now this time I get the non-upgrade price and no way to fill out a rebate form for being a Toast 8 user because I downloaded it ... confused ....

I think the best thing to do is follow Tsantee's advice, "return" the software and get a refund, then buy the upgrade at the $59 price. I have had no reply today to my email; I'll see if anything turns up overnight, then take that advice myself.

From the main Roxio.com web site is a big blue "Upgrade Center" button that takes you to a link for the $59.99 price. I don't see that as being hard to find.

From the main Roxio.com web site is a big blue "Upgrade Center" button that takes you to a link for the $59.99 price. I don't see that as being hard to find.

Not quite sure who the response is directed at, but when I click on the big blue "Upgrade Center" button I get the following page:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/upgrade_center/default.html

What a person needs to do is to click on the Toast 8 link and that will get them to the page that has the upgrade price of $59.99.

This link which is on the main Roxio page should be changed:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/ti...m/overview.html

Because it shows and upgrade price of $79.99. If that price is meant for first time purchasers, then it should say so and have a separate link to the $59.99 upgrade deal which is for current registered Toast 8 users.

Having two different links with two different prices and not distinguishing between them is confusing at best and irrates people at worst.

At any rate, I did place a call to customer service who did do the email refund for my purchase and once it is credited to my account I will certainly repurchase it using the link for $59.99.

I guess my whole point is that if a person receives an email from Roxio to purchase one of its' products, they should be given the best deal that is offered at the time. Particularly if they are owners of the current version and have registered as such.

Bob

Well, I received a reply to my email. Get a load of this:

"Thank you for contacting the Sonic Solutions Online Store.

The Sonic Solutions Online Store strives to offer the products at the

lowest available prices. Unfortunately, we are unable to match the

prices and discounts available through other resellers."

It's a good thing I'm not near to Sonic's headquarters, or I'd be tempted to go in to start busting heads. Needless to say, I explained clearly in my previous emails that it was THEIR prices for THEIR upgrades that I was upset about.

I have now called and asked for a refund. I tried to use the refund link on their website, but it says it has no record of my order., so I fell back on the phone and human beings. Now I have to wait for the refund email to turn up.

Mike :angry2: :angry2:

Edited by mike457

Well, I received a reply to my email. Get a load of this:

"Thank you for contacting the Sonic Solutions Online Store.

The Sonic Solutions Online Store strives to offer the products at the

lowest available prices. Unfortunately, we are unable to match the

prices and discounts available through other resellers."

It's a good thing I'm not near to Sonic's headquarters, or I'd be tempted to go in to start busting heads. Needless to say, I explained clearly in my previous emails that it was THEIR prices for THEIR upgrades that I was upset about.

I have now called and asked for a refund. I tried to use the refund link on their website, but it says it has no record of my order., so I fell back on the phone and human beings. Now I have to wait for the refund email to turn up.

Mike :angry2: :angry2:

My refund was handled very quickly actually. Right over the phone and got the email with the link to accept. I'm assuming that you were able to provide them with the order number that was provided in the email Roxio sent to you when you ordered it in the first place. Not sure what happens if you don't have that available. Did take a bit to find the actual link with the phone number that handles refunds, but it is a toll free number and didn't seem to have to wait a long time to speak to a person.

Just wish that the ads on the various pages were either more clear or consistent. Having different pages with different prices confuses matters. (IMHO). I will certainly add that either price, $79.99/$59.99 are very fine prices. MANY, and I include Apple in this practice, DO NOT offer discounts on upgrades to many of their software suites, particularly iLife, etc.

Bob

Bob,

I do agree with you about the speed and courtesy of the refund process. I got through immediately, I had my order number at hand, and the woman put my request through at once without asking any questions. She sent me the email with the link within twenty minutes.

I'm with you also about the need for consistency. I didn't really mind the $79 price, as long as it's what everybody else is paying. It just bugs me to have paid the $79 that was listed in the email, and find out a couple of hours later through this thread that it should have been $59. I hate feeling I'm being ripped off.

Once the refund is in my account, I'll buy the $59 version.

Best, and I'm more calm now,

Mike

Well some of us were EMAILED by Roxio and got the ' other ' price even though we were REGISTERED users ! That email did NOT have a big blue button instead it took you straight to the $79 page that said it retailed for $99 so I thought they were giving me an instant rebate......

Roxio seems to have taken their pricing queues from the travel industry where the guy next to you either paid more or less for the same product...

I trusted that the email I had received was indeed the upgrade price.... so forgive me for not looking for some big blue button that was NOT there.

Your condescending post was most entertaining.

Toast 8 did not do spanning properly and so I purchased it but have *never* used it. They have finally added a proper don't-split-files-spanning feature to Toast 9, but I didn't really feel like spending $59 just to get what I thought I was getting in Toast 8 anyway. Fortunately, tonight I've found a US$10 utility that does just what I need and nothing else. #$^@, wish I'd found that before I bought Toast 8.

No doubt an admin will be deleting this post soon. What a shame.

ETA: Wow, some pretty tame words are considered swear words around here by the auto-modify system, apparently. :)

Edited by dbabbage