Linked And Unlinked Menu Items

thomasjohn@clearchannel.com

Question

Hi all. I've got a problem that might actually be two problems. When I create a movie in MyDVD and choose a menu style it works fine. After changing the background, and moving the link text arond the screen I re-save as a custom style. The next movie I made I imported the custom style I had created and the links no longer worked. That is, if you click on them with the mouse in preview they work fine, but the "remote control" functions don't move the highlight...basically nothing happens. Luckily I discovered this when I tried to play the first of what will be at least 20-30 discs in a DVD player and realized I couldn't navigate. That's problem #1, the other may be more significant. I checked the docs and it says you can create a link from any button to a video by clicking on the link and going to "settings" at the far right of the task bar. It is NEVER available, always greyed out. I found the same problem when I tried to change the scene used in the front page video.It also says to highlight it and click "setting"...again...greyed out. Any help on either of these? Thanks.

5 answers to this question

The next movie I made I imported the custom style I had created and the links no longer worked.

You aren't very clear on what you did and what you are trying to do. Did you create a custom sytle by selecting FILE/SAVE AS MENU SYTLE? If so then, the link to a particular file is NOT part of the style. The DVD menu style saves info like teh background image or MPG, background music, fonts, colors, etc.

I checked the docs and it says you can create a link from any button to a video by clicking on the link and going to "settings" at the far right of the task bar.

Go back to the HELP. At the top of each page is a disclaimer stating that some features in teh HELP may not be available in your version. Sonic/Roxio has released mutliple versions and the 'settings' is not available in most of them.

when I tried to change the scene used in the front page video

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the thumbnail on the button? Right click on the button and EDIT THUMBNAIL.

You aren't very clear on what you did and what you are trying to do. Did you create a custom sytle by selecting FILE/SAVE AS MENU SYTLE? If so then, the link to a particular file is NOT part of the style. The DVD menu style saves info like teh background image or MPG, background music, fonts, colors, etc.

Go back to the HELP. At the top of each page is a disclaimer stating that some features in teh HELP may not be available in your version. Sonic/Roxio has released mutliple versions and the 'settings' is not available in most of them.

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the thumbnail on the button? Right click on the button and EDIT THUMBNAIL.

Thanks Gary, at least now I can stop looking for the Settings to show up! I guess what I'm trying to find is how to maintain linking buttons when your making changes to the menu styles. From what your saying I guess that means that re-saving the menu style does not carry the links with it. That means I have to do them manually, but if the settings are unavailable in my version, which appears to be the case, then how to I regain navigation on the main page? Thanks again for the help. -tj

Ok, now what version should have the settings button available? I thought I had bought the best version available, the full suite. I can't get the setting button to be available either. To have a help file that doesn't give acccurate info for MOST verions is unacceptable. I have also been trying to make some changes that just don't seem to be possible, making this program VERY limited, in my opinion. The only two versions that are on Roxio's product page are the essentials and the full suite (in addition to the full suite with some hardware included, but very little in the way of software differences.) So the full suite should do everything that is advertised. I also found only 14 menu styles when the comparison page said the Roxio 8 Suite should have 20+ menu styles. What is going on there? I installed the extra content, too!

[

quote name=ggrussell' date='Mar 22 2006, 02:02 PM' post='18759]

how to maintain linking buttons when your making changes to the menu styles.
You shouldn't be losing anything when making changes to the menu. You should be able to cahnge the background, music, fonts and colors without ever losing the 'link' to the file. I can even change to a completely different menu sytle without losing the link to the added video.

From what your saying I guess that means that re-saving the menu style does not carry the links

Just so you understand I meant:

When you save a custom style by going to the FILE / SAVE AS MENU STYLE, everything you changed about the MENU is saved -- like the background, music, fonts, colors. If you used a custom background image or MPG file, make sure the file is NEVER MOVED. I don't think the actual file is copied into the 'style'.

It does not save any info about a video that you may have added.

how to I regain navigation on the main page

Navigation is preset by the template design. If you add more than one video file, the first added video should be the default button. You can move the buttons around on the menu, but by doing so could easily mess with the navigation.

Ok, now what version should have the settings button available? I thought I had bought the best version available, the full suite. I can't get the setting button to be available either. To have a help file that doesn't give acccurate info for MOST verions is unacceptable. I have also been trying to make some changes that just don't seem to be possible, making this program VERY limited, in my opinion. The only two versions that are on Roxio's product page are the essentials and the full suite (in addition to the full suite with some hardware included, but very little in the way of software differences.) So the full suite should do everything that is advertised. I also found only 14 menu styles when the comparison page said the Roxio 8 Suite should have 20+ menu styles. What is going on there? I installed the extra content, too!

[

quote name=ggrussell' date='Mar 22 2006, 02:02 PM' post='18759]

There are three versions of EMC8 available. You can view them here:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/famil...2TTFECQAMYWRVQQ

The deluxe suite is indicated as the "best" and has all features activated, as you can see from the comparison chart on that page. The Dazzle device aside, the deluxe suite has more features available than the standard suite. For example, if you have the standard suite (indicated as the "Better" product), you will not have the settings button available. You will have to purchase the deluxe suite to have all features activated.

You may not like it, but does that clear things up for you?

Archived