Data Spanning In Toast9

MartinC

Question

Data spanning was the reason for me to buy Toast8, only to find out that it was entirely useless in the real world. Obviously, one of the major design bugs is fixed in Toast9, since there is a new option to keep whole files - if I span 1000s of small camera pictures, I really *don't* want to split just a small 5k file at the end of a disk.

However, could any early adopter verify if the worst bug is fixed as well: What does happen, if burning one CD in the chain fails?

In Toast 8, if you span a lot of files on 20 CDs, and then suddenly CD 15 fails, then the *entire* process stopped. There was no way to just re-burn CD 15, instead you could physically trash the first 14 CDs and start from scratch. Is this fixed?

Another question - how "smart" is the spanning, is it just by name or does Toast9 run any optimized algorithm to build a minimum number of disks?

For example, let's say we have:

FileA (1 GB)

FileB (4 GB)

FileC (1 GB)

FileD (1 GB)

Does Toast9 span it "clever":

DVD1 - FileA, FileC, FileD (3 GB)

DVD2 - FileB (4 GB)

or "stupid":

DVD1 - FileA (1 GB)

DVD2 - FileB (4 GB)

DVD3 - FileC, FileD (2 GB)

I somehow expect it to be "stupid" (since optimization algorithms are non-trivial) although it would be nice if a commercial piece of software would act as professional as possible... :-)

3 answers to this question

Data spanning was the reason for me to buy Toast8, only to find out that it was entirely useless in the real world. Obviously, one of the major design bugs is fixed in Toast9, since there is a new option to keep whole files - if I span 1000s of small camera pictures, I really *don't* want to split just a small 5k file at the end of a disk.

However, could any early adopter verify if the worst bug is fixed as well: What does happen, if burning one CD in the chain fails?

In Toast 8, if you span a lot of files on 20 CDs, and then suddenly CD 15 fails, then the *entire* process stopped. There was no way to just re-burn CD 15, instead you could physically trash the first 14 CDs and start from scratch. Is this fixed?

Another question - how "smart" is the spanning, is it just by name or does Toast9 run any optimized algorithm to build a minimum number of disks?

For example, let's say we have:

FileA (1 GB)

FileB (4 GB)

FileC (1 GB)

FileD (1 GB)

Does Toast9 span it "clever":

DVD1 - FileA, FileC, FileD (3 GB)

DVD2 - FileB (4 GB)

or "stupid":

DVD1 - FileA (1 GB)

DVD2 - FileB (4 GB)

DVD3 - FileC, FileD (2 GB)

I somehow expect it to be "stupid" (since optimization algorithms are non-trivial) although it would be nice if a commercial piece of software would act as professional as possible... :-)

I'm on my way out to the airport so I don't have time for screenshots, but I'd move it closer to clever.

There is an option in the main window to "Avoid Splitting Files When Spanning". If this feature is enabled, files will not be split so as long as no single file (or app package) is larger than the destination media.

I'm fairly sure I had one disc fail during beta and was prompted to re-write that same disc, but I'll double check.

I agree—I purchased Toast 8 so that I could burn a large collection of files to DVD for archiving. The previous spanning option—splitting files with proprietary software to reassemble them—was a huge design flaw and I have literally *never* used Toast 8 as a result. I wish I had thought to try and get a refund from the Roxio store at the time.

I am now facing whether to drop another US$60 just to get the software do what I understood from the advertising it was able to already do—take a large collection of files and burn them over multiple discs. But if I can find an alternative product for the same price, I'm highly tempted to jump ship at this point. Why be burned twice.

Would be interested in reports as to whether this feature works properly.

I agree—I purchased Toast 8 so that I could burn a large collection of files to DVD for archiving. The previous spanning option—splitting files with proprietary software to reassemble them—was a huge design flaw and I have literally *never* used Toast 8 as a result. I wish I had thought to try and get a refund from the Roxio store at the time.

I am now facing whether to drop another US$60 just to get the software do what I understood from the advertising it was able to already do—take a large collection of files and burn them over multiple discs. But if I can find an alternative product for the same price, I'm highly tempted to jump ship at this point. Why be burned twice.

Would be interested in reports as to whether this feature works properly.

Roxio, why are so many people requesting the SAME feature repeatedly for years with nary a reply from you guys? If Toast can span disks, why not enable two simple features. (1) Let users skip the burning process on a disc by disc basis. Then one would not have to trash discs 1-14 if the 15th failed. (2) Let users save spanned discs as images files on the HD. Then they could burn individual disk images to disc as they wanted.

Both seem simple to implement.

Would someone from Roxio please respond?

Archived