• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Upgrading From V8.x To 9.0

LGLDSR

Question

Before I jump into Toast 9, is it really worth the upgrade? With the PC version I made the mistake of going to v9.x which is a worse than a bad train wreck...it never should have left Beta.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

I tried to burn two different Video_TS folders and both were burned successfully.

Oh really? I tried many times on many (and I mean many) VIDEO_TS folders I need to burn and had no luck... and I'm not alone... see other user reports in this forum...

VIDEO_TS folders are working fine for me also....you may have some other problem, though Toast shouldn't crash either way. Are you exporting using Turbo or anything like that?

Thanks for your response! I'm not an expert so I can't say exactly what it is... I have a lot of DVDs (mostly audience recordings of concerts, interviews etc) simply copied to my computer and now I try to burn them back to DVDs...

It works when 'fit to one DVD' is off, but when the compression checkbox is checked then Toast 9 crashes immediately, most likely when trying to start the compression. In version 8 it worked with no problems... To me it looks like version 9 bug.. but who knows...

Is Toast 9 better than Toast 8. Yes. Is it worth the upgrade? It depends on whether your needs are being met now. Some things are new in Toast 9, some work better and are easier than with Toast 8 and others are much the same.

Toast 9 has very nice GUI (much better than the ugly 8) has some cool new features and overall it runs smoothly on Leopard... BUT...

It crashes when you want to burn VIDEO_TS folder, which is HUGE bug. I do hope Roxio will fix it asap, because I use this feature frequently and 9 is unusable for me now... sad but true...

UPDATE: It simply crashes everytime the 'Use Fit-to-DVD video compression' is checked. I tested it on VIDEO_TS folder and Image file... Still crashes.

Dan,

Is this happening on more than one computer?

Thanks,

- Lyman

What kind of audio do the DVD have? It shouldn't crash. There is something about your DVD that Toast 9 doesn't like. That could be fixed, but need more details on the disc to reproduce the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Lyman

What kind of audio do the DVD have? It shouldn't crash. There is something about your DVD that Toast 9 doesn't like. That could be fixed, but need more details on the disc to reproduce the problem.

So I just finished some tests and the result is:

1. ALL burning without 'Use Fit-to-DVD video compression' works great, no problems

2. I tried to copy unprotected, factory pressed DVD with multiple languages. The VIDEO_TS folder had 5.62 GB, 'Use Fit-to-DVD video compression' was checked. Toast displayed audio info like:

All (English Dolby 5.1, German Dolby 5.1, Spanish Dolby 5.1) - with this option Toast crashes when it starts to compress

Main (English Dolby 5.1) - with this option it started the compression and the DVD is burned with no problems

3. VIDEO_TS folder, Audio info: All (English PCM Stereo, German PCM Stereo), file size 5.3 GB, 'Use Fit-to-DVD video compression' is on - Toast 9 crashes

4. VIDEO_TS folder, Audio info: All (English PCM Stereo, German PCM Stereo), file size 3.1 GB, 'Use Fit-to-DVD video compression' is off - Toast 9 works

5. VIDEO_TS compilation - I tried to burn the DVD from the 'step 2' and another VIDEO_TS folder, Audio info: All (English PCM Stereo), size 1.1 GB

Crashes when All (English Dolby 5.1, German Dolby 5.1, Spanish Dolby 5.1) is on. When I switch to Main (English Dolby 5.1) only, both VIDEO_TS folders are compressed and burned.

6. VIDEO_TS folder, 5.9 GB, 'Use Fit-to-DVD video compression' was checked

All (English Dolby 5.1, Spanish Dolby 5.1) - with this option Toast crashes when it starts to compress

Main (English Dolby 5.1) - compressed and burned with no problems

So I don't know... I had NO problem in version 8. Seems like v9 has some problem to compress multiple languages for one movie...

Toast 9 has very nice GUI (much better than the ugly 8) has some cool new features and overall it runs smoothly on Leopard... BUT...

It crashes when you want to burn VIDEO_TS folder, which is HUGE bug. I do hope Roxio will fix it asap, because I use this feature frequently and 9 is unusable for me now... sad but true...

I tried to burn two different Video_TS folders and both were burned successfully.

Archived