• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Industro

Roxio Help! Problem With Source Material!?

Question

I bought Toast 9 for one reason only... to burn my HD video files onto standard DVD media for playback (in high definition) on my HD home entertainment system (I have both a HD-DVD Player and a Blu-ray Player).

So far, I can't even get the disc to burn.

I have an MPEG-4 Movie file (.mov) which was encoded in H.264 from Final Cut Pro/QuickTime. It is a 1920x1080 progressive video at 24 fps with 44.1KHz 16-bit stereo audio.

When I bring it into a Toast 9 "HD-DVD Video" OR "Blu-ray Video" project, it is recognized with no problems... I can even play through the whole video within the Toast preview.

When I try to burn it to a standard DVD, it begins to "encode" and gets to 2% and then quits with the following error message:

"Could not record the disc because there is a problem with the source material. Result Code -18771"

I have tried both a "HD-DVD Video" AND "Blu-ray Video" project - and it still happens. I have tried both the "Automatic" settings, and "Custom Settings" (including setting encode to "never").

I believe my source material is well within spec of what Toast 9 is able to handle (please correct me if I'm wrong). I was able to burn this exact same video file to a standard definition DVD using Toast 8. Why would the same video file fail in Toast 9???

How can we fix this???

Very frustrated.

Edited by Industro

13 answers to this question

I hate to tell you but I bought it for the same reasons and I'm having the same kinds of issues. So far, I have not been able to burn even a 2 minute video in HD.

Here's a link to the thread of my issues - Unable to burn HD

Has anyone been able to burn HD content on a regular DVD?

I hate to tell you but I bought it for the same reasons and I'm having the same kinds of issues. So far, I have not been able to burn even a 2 minute video in HD.

Here's a link to the thread of my issues - Unable to burn HD

Has anyone been able to burn HD content on a regular DVD?

same problem...I use Apple HDV FCP ref files 1080i50.... with a 6 minutes movie I've the problem, with shorter movie (few seconds) I have not the problem

I'm having the same issue, with 720P @ 59.94. Both uncompressed and H.264 give the same error code.

Perhaps this software is not completely ready for primetime?

I'm having the same issue, with 720P @ 59.94. Both uncompressed and H.264 give the same error code.

Perhaps this software is not completely ready for primetime?

FIX THIS ROXIO!!!!

At least acknowledge this is an issue and give us confirmation that a solution is being developed!!!

NO ONE HERE HAS YET TO SUCCESSFULLY CREATE AN HD PROGRAM ON STANDARD DVD MEDIA USING TOAST'S MPEG-4 AVC SETTING. IT DOES NOT WORK!

Was this tested before release? I have wasted 10+ hours on this today.

FIX THIS ROXIO!!!!

At least acknowledge this is an issue and give us confirmation that a solution is being developed!!!

NO ONE HERE HAS YET TO SUCCESSFULLY CREATE AN HD PROGRAM ON STANDARD DVD MEDIA USING TOAST'S MPEG-4 AVC SETTING. IT DOES NOT WORK!

*Sigh*

Still no solution on this, huh? No work-arounds? No response from Roxio?

*Sigh*

Still no solution on this, huh? No work-arounds? No response from Roxio?

We're working on this... but I have authored AVC discs on DVD media.

I'll post an update when we have more information to share, right now we're gathering test files and working on a solution.

We're working on this... but I have authored AVC discs on DVD media.

I'll post an update when we have more information to share, right now we're gathering test files and working on a solution.

THANK YOU FOR ACKNOWLEDGING THIS!!!! :lol:

Please keep us updated and let us know if/when there is a patch or a work-around!

As far as authoring AVC discs on DVD media... What were the specs of your source file?

Edited by Industro

FIX THIS ROXIO!!!!

I spent quite a few hours trying to make a BD onto a DVD-R yesterday. Lots of crashing or the error message about the source file. But I finally had success!

I went back to the final edited version of the program I wanted to burn which was edited in Final Cut Pro. I brought it into Compressor and encoded it with the HDDVD MPEG encoder, splitting out the audio into an AC3 file. Then I went into Toast 9 and imported the files, stuck a DVD-R into the DVD burner, pushed the record button and waited for it crash. Instead of crashing, it (slowly) encoded the program and the burned it! Took it out of the computer and put it in my Samsung BD-1400 player and it all worked. Perfectly. I guess it really wants to see an MPEG 2 file as everything else I tried crashed the program.

Hope this helps.

MPEG2 1440x1080, 29.97 fps

Dolby Digital Stereo 48000 Hz

I went back to the final edited version of the program I wanted to burn which was edited in Final Cut Pro. I brought it into Compressor and encoded it with the HDDVD MPEG encoder, splitting out the audio into an AC3 file. Then I went into Toast 9 and imported the files...

I tried the same thing but noticed that Toast translated the 2 separate files as 1 movie and 1 music track, so I didn't think that'd work? I didn't want to burn a dvd with a silent video and a separate "music" track that held the audio from the video. But maybe it knows what to do with the files?

Thanks for sharing how you got yours to work!

Brian,.

I tried the same thing but noticed that Toast translated the 2 separate files as 1 movie and 1 music track, so I didn't think that'd work? I didn't want to burn a dvd with a silent video and a separate "music" track that held the audio from the video. But maybe it knows what to do with the files?

Brian,.

We are working on the AVC encoding issue reported....

Brian,.

Importing the .m2v file first, then Toast asks where the audio file is and should it add it. If you've done the encode properly, the AC3 file will be in the same folder. Toast brings it all together. So far all is good. Been making quite a few BD disks onto DVD-R with no video or audio problems.

We are working on the AVC encoding issue reported....

Because I still don't have a Blu-ray recorder, I had the same issue when I tried to create a blu-ray image disc of an video file made with the Apple intermediate codec 1920x1080. Error 18771 "There is a problem with de source material".

Edited by John at Roxio

I am also unable to create a Blu ray DVD or image file from any HD source when output to AVC. Toast either gives me an error with the source material or more often the program quits. Did anyone at Roxio ever test this program. It's really a shame as Toast 8 has been very reliable. None of them will encode for Blu Ray using the AVC codec.

update: I have been testing using MPEG2 output and it seems to work. I will be testing on several blu ray devices and post an update about compatibility and quality. Roxio really needs to get the AVC codec working.

Edited by theDon