Asaf

Problem with BD on DVD playback

Question

I burned a Blu ray project to DVD; took a 1 minute Apple ProRes422 HQ 1920x1080 Quicktime; used built-in encoder. Then when I burned the DVD, I took it to a store and tried it on a Sony DVP-S300. Said "Cannot Play"; another user reports PS3 cannot play it either.

Did you guys actually test your product before releasing it out to the public?

7 answers to this question

That's because the PS3 doesn't support BD on DVD correctly. I dont' know of any products on the Mac or PC that support this, including very high end systems. BD on DVD work perfectly fine on the Sony BDP-S300 for me.

The one you tried in the store probably didn't have the latest firmware, which is needed to play BD on DVD.

That's because the PS3 doesn't support BD on DVD correctly. I dont' know of any products on the Mac or PC that support this, including very high end systems. BD on DVD work perfectly fine on the Sony BDP-S300 for me.

The one you tried in the store probably didn't have the latest firmware, which is needed to play BD on DVD.

I do not know where you are getting this information, but it is wrong. For one, Sony's bundled utility that comes with their AVCHD cameras is able to burn AVCHD DVDs that are perfectly playable on the PS3. Secondly, the folks over at AVS Forums have been making AVCHD DVDs for quite some time now. They use ULEAD software to do it. I have tried their AVCHD disks and they work just fine on my PS3 too. However, Toast 9 does not create properly formatted AVCHD DVDs. I tried it today. I wonder if Roxio even got certification from Sony and Blu-ray group.

And, yes, I have the latest firmware in my PS3.

Asaf is right. This feature is not working for anyone. There are like 4 threads on this and so far, no one can create a standard DVD with HD content using the MPEG-4 AVC setting. Everyone gets the error, regardless of the source material.

I've about had it with this. The product does not function as advertised.

I'm 2 seconds away from dropping a HORRIBLE REVIEW on versiontracker.com if Roxio doesn't respond (and I don't mean one of those "auto responses" from the PR department).

:angry2:

Ulead is not creating BDMV disc on DVD, they are burning AVCHD DVD which is different. The PS3 does not support BDMV on DVD correctly.

Ulead is not creating BDMV disc on DVD, they are burning AVCHD DVD which is different. The PS3 does not support BDMV on DVD correctly.

I can't even get Toast to burn the disc using MPEG-4 AVC, let alone trying it out in a PS3.

On the Toast9 advertising it mentions the PS3 by name .... so why are they referring to it if it does not support the very feature they are touting ?

I make avchd playable movies on the PS3 with standard dvd-r using the Sony vrd-mc5 and it works great. as for BDMV shouldnt Roxio state that it is not PS3 compatible instead of marketing it the other way ?

On the Toast9 advertising it mentions the PS3 by name .... so why are they referring to it if it does not support the very feature they are touting ?

I make avchd playable movies on the PS3 with standard dvd-r using the Sony vrd-mc5 and it works great. as for BDMV shouldnt Roxio state that it is not PS3 compatible instead of marketing it the other way ?

Because Blue-ray on a Blu-ray disc (not DVD disc) should work fine on a PS3.

Also, we support exporting video in formats specifically tailored to the PS3.

The fact that you can burn a disc in Toast that not many players support is by no means a limitation of Toast.