jonahfish7

Compressor To Toast To Blu-ray

Question

11 answers to this question

Yes. But depending on the format of the exported file, Toast may have to re-encode. BD use transport streams, not program streams. I'm not sure if compressor will out put transport streams.

Yes. But depending on the format of the exported file, Toast may have to re-encode. BD use transport streams, not program streams. I'm not sure if compressor will out put transport streams.

Compressor can make transport stream

Compressor can make transport stream

Does anybody know the Compressor settings to do this without Toast re-encoding? I honestly don't think it's possible. I've tried every which way to encode with Compressor for Blu-Ray, both H.264 and MPEG2, and have been unsuccessful. It technically SHOULD work, but Toast either re-encodes H.264, or screws up muxing the MPEG2 and makes it unusable.

What's the secret here? Has anybody successfully done this? HOW?

I have recently had success burning a Blu-ray disc of FCP produced video from Toast 9 after a ton of trial and error. I did not use Compressor. I did try it though. I created a new MPEG 2 setting in Compressor and chose Blu-ray as the stream usage to create a transport stream. Toast did burn the Blu-ray after reencoding, despite my telling it to never reencode. But here is what did work.

I was told by Toast Support that MPEG-4 AVC or H.264 AVC is best to save as from FCP. Don't know about the AVC because there is not such setting upon exporting using QuickTime Conversion in FCP. But I did plenty of tests with MPEG4 and H.264 QuickTimes from FCP. I have discovered that the root of all my problems is somehow tied to my using DVCPRO HD 720p in FCP. That native resolution is 960 x 720, not 1280 x 720. If I exported my timeline using current settings the resulting Quicktime file opens in Quicktime and reports a size of 1280 x 720. However, when taken into Toast, it reports it is 960 x 720. When trying to create a Blu-ray in toast from that file it either crashes at 97% with error -39 or it burns a disc that looks terrible (choppy playback or artifacts).

My success came when I luckily (accidentally) choose the export size of HD 1440 x 1080 16:9 within the Export-Movie Settings from FCP. Toast still reencoded it, even though I check never reencode. But the Blu-ray disc it created looks as good as my FCP timeline when played on my 56" DLP. So for now, this works for me and I'll stick to it.

I don't own Compressor so I can't check this out myself, but has anyone tried just exporting from Compressor has a regular old MPEG-2 file? I've been able to get MPEG-2 files from EyeTV and other sources to not re-encode and go straight to Blu-ray.

On a side note - did Roxio support explain why h.264 was the best input format for Toast 9? I've been feeding it the Apple Intermediate Codec files directly from Final Cut Express.

I don't own Compressor so I can't check this out myself, but has anyone tried just exporting from Compressor has a regular old MPEG-2 file? I've been able to get MPEG-2 files from EyeTV and other sources to not re-encode and go straight to Blu-ray.

On a side note - did Roxio support explain why h.264 was the best input format for Toast 9? I've been feeding it the Apple Intermediate Codec files directly from Final Cut Express.

Yes, I've created MPEG2 in Compressor and then sent it to Toast for authoring a Blu-ray. Toast did not re-encode, but when it muxes the video and audio together, it results in a blocky, skipping unusable video stream.

I've also been able to edit P2 footage@ 720p, 59.94 and export from FCP as Quciktime using current settings, then have Toast encode & author to Blu-Ray successfully. But there is just no way to use Compressor to encode anything for Blu-Ray that Toast can use successfully without re-encoding. I would love for somebody to prove me wrong, though.

On another note, I just purchase my upgrade for Adobe CS4 and their Media Encoder and Encore are incredible. Took my QuickTime saved as Current Settings for a DVCPRO HD 720p30 project into Media Encoder and transcoded for H.264 HDTV 720p. Took that into Encore and after 5 minutes I was burning direct from Encore. Perfect images. All this the first time through. No trial and error, plus you can author in Encore as you can for a SD DVD.

Toast still offers a great solution to get FCP timelines to Blu-ray, but it's limited as it's not an authoring tool. Encore is proving that Adobe is leaps ahead of Apple for Blu-ray. Amazing!

Even if you set Toast to never reencode, it WILL reencode unless you feed it exactly what it wants... When I give Toast an m2v elementary stream and a .ac3 stream with the same filename, it recognizes both and does NOT reencode it. Instead, it multiplexes and burns.

I'm burning my first Blu Ray w/ Toast as I'm writing this. For those who used Compressor to encode and not Toast: when Toast multiplexed the files, did you ever have any success in getting smooth playback?

Conrad

Jason, I just burned a blu-ray with Toast multiplexing the m2v and ac3 from Compressor..... it looks great on my 52" TV and has no pixelation or artifacts!

Jason, I just burned a blu-ray with Toast multiplexing the m2v and ac3 from Compressor..... it looks great on my 52" TV and has no pixelation or artifacts!

Cool! Can you please post the Compressor settings you used to encode the video? And you're using Toast 9 or Toast 10?