Encoding Preview Screen / Mydvd Burn

Syrallas

Question

:unsure: Just wondering if anyone else experiences this while burning a DVD w/ MyDVD:

The "Encoding Preview" screen starts showing the movie you made, but then after 5-10 seconds that images disappears and the word "MPEG" appears in the preview screen along with a grey background and concentric white circles. The screen occasionally goes black, but is mostly the grey screen, until the end where the menus are being burned and the video I made re-appears.

DVD burns fine, but I'm wondering what's up w/ the MPEG appearing in the preview window....

5 answers to this question

:unsure: Just wondering if anyone else experiences this while burning a DVD w/ MyDVD:

The "Encoding Preview" screen starts showing the movie you made, but then after 5-10 seconds that images disappears and the word "MPEG" appears in the preview screen along with a grey background and concentric white circles. The screen occasionally goes black, but is mostly the grey screen, until the end where the menus are being burned and the video I made re-appears.

DVD burns fine, but I'm wondering what's up w/ the MPEG appearing in the preview window....

Seeing that MPEG screen is a good thing. It means that the movie isn't re-encoding.

The 'grey MPEG' preview means the file you used is already DVD compliant and doesn't need any further processing so MyDVD uses it 'as is'.

I am wondering about this....when it is grey it is already DVD compliant? What type of app do I use to make the mpgs DVD compliant? I have used direct show dump to convert .tivo files to .mpg. I then add the .mpgs to MyDVD to make a disc. However, and I'm not quite sure what causes it yet, but if I burn the image of two one hour programs, the second program always is garbled. I was attributing it to a bug in EMC 10 since this did not happen in EMC 9 but since I got a Vista machine, EMC 9 won't work on it...I tried. Anyway. I'd be interested in any suggestions you might have in helping troubleshoot this. When I DL the tivo files from my DVR, I always convert them with direct show dump, so I'm surprised that all the mpgs that come out are not DVD compliant...some are and some aren't. I have Vista Home Premium, AMD Phenom quad-core 2.2 Ghz, 3 GB RAM.

Since I'm just a rookie, what exactly is encoding? Translating the data so it can be viewed on a DVD?

It's encoding (including code) to include the DVD menu and other information that is needed to play the movie on a DVD player.

If you were using another kind of file other than a mpeg2 compliant file, encoding would include changing the code to mpeg2 ( ie. avi to mpeg)

According to the Wikipedia "Encoding is the process of transforming information from one format into another. ...."

Archived