Trouble Updating To Toast 7.0.2

coriscapnskip

Question

14 answers to this question

It's not on my desktop anymore, as I created a Roxio Toast Folder in Applications and deleted all duplicate and alias versions of the update which were created various times I tried to do this so that just one "real" disk image of the update remained. Then I moved the Toast icon and the disk image to the Toast folder, then repaired and verified disk permissions so everything on the Hard Drive would be current. When I clicked on the Toast icon in the dock, it's still giving the same story--the update is available--not installed. I will try your instructions to the best of my ability. :)

Updated to say: OH, MY GOD! IT WORKED!! THANKS!!! :huh::D:D

Emailed this to the computer expert I'd been consulting:

Thanks to trial and error plus a lot of instructions from online support groups, I got updated to Toast 7.0.2. One of the things I seem to have accidentally done while trying was get two Toast icons into the dock at the same time. In trying to remove one, I seem to have removed the icon for X Darwin without intentionally having selected it. There isn't another copy anywhere, although I Repaired Disk Permissions before doing this, which is the only thing that brought the Toast icon up on the Hard Drive--formerly the only one was in the dock.

Everything's acting fine, and when I checked for software updates it said all the software was updated. So this X Darwin icon wasn't anything vital...was it? Thanks.

Progress but no solution. I went to "Repair Disk Permissions" and this made the Toast icon (doesn't exactly look like a file) appear in the list on my Hard Drive which it had not before. I then went to the Toast site for the update using Safari as a browser, and ended up with two files labeled

Toast Titanium 7.0.2 Updater.dmg and

Toast Titanium 7-1.0.2 Updater.dmg

next to the Toast icon. I dragged these two over the Toast icon and restarted, but when I open Toast it still says I have Toast 7.0.1 and that update 7.0.2 is available!

Messed it up worse. By going to "Mount" on the Disk Image, I got a thing which SAYS it's Toast 7.0.2 and acts like it, but ONLY when the Disk Image is on the desktop. I tried to get the Disk Image off the desktop and still have it work and ended up with two Toast icons in the dock. When I tried to leave just the updated one, the original disappeared off the dock. It's still openable and viewable on the Hard Drive, but I can't seem to get a workable icon on the dock. So now I have a question mark on the dock where Toast used to be, as well as a question mark on the dock where X Darwin used to be although I didn't (intentionally) do anything to it. This state of things persists even after Repairing Disk Permissions! :)

Well, I got a working Toast icon back on the dock, but not updated. As for X Darwin, can't find it so hope it's nothing I really want to use or that it turns up again if so. (As I said elsewhere, I'm getting another update one of these days, sooo...)

It says to drop the Toast applications from the update download into the folder and there isn't any folder! Just a Toast icon on the list of items on the Hard Drive. Would moving the Toast icon to the Applications folder do anything?

Ok, go back to where you have the file Toast Titanium 7.0.2 Updater.dmg on the desktop. Then follow these steps:

1) Double click it - The image file will mount

2) Open the finder, and where you have a list of drives (on the left) you should have one that is named Toast 7 update v7.0.2

3) Open up that volume and inside will be all the updated toast applicaitons, drag those to your toast folder on your hard drive.

4) Then, launch the new version of Toast. When it is running, confirm that it is the new version. If it is correct, then click and hold on the icon that is in the dock and select the option for "Keep in Dock"

By the way, minus step 4, this is how alot of Mac software is distributed. Practice the steps a couple time if you need to, because you will be doing this often.

Well I dont think the dock is as important as you think it is. The dock is just a quick place to launch applications from. You dont need to have anything on the dock if you really dont want it there.

Personally I just put my applicaitons folder on the dock and then if you click and hold to access it, all of your applicaitons are quickly accessable from there.

Anyway if you dont know what X Darwin was used for, you certanily dont need it on your dock.

From what little I understood of what I read when I Googled it, X Darwin is something so vital that if actually deleted the operating system wouldn't work properly, if at all, without it. Yet everything's working fine. I think there's some safeguard against accidentally deleting really important functions. I couldn't find it to return it to the dock, but it must still be there...somewhere.

I couldn't find a specific Toast folder, but I dragged it into the regular Applications folder. Now the icon is in both places--in the Applications folder and on the desktop--and Toast still isn't updated. :huh:

What's more, there may be different Download Managers for different things--and I don't know what to look for or where to look for it, let alone how to disable it once I find it. :)

Try and use Safari to download.

I thought I was using Safari as a browser at the time, as it's what I usually use. When I checked again, I saw that following the link supplied on the prompt by Toast opens it through Firefox. So I opened the download again using Safari and downloaded. This time I got a different kind of file on my desktop--shaped like an external disk drive instead of a packing box--and the info says:

Kind: Volume

Disk image: /Toast Titanium 7.0.2

Updater.dmg

And other info about dates created and modified, format, and capacity. When I try dragging it to Toast 7 in the dock, it just shows up in the area that says to drag files or pictures to this area. Then the prompt keeps coming up that Toast 7.0.2 is available, so obviously it's NOT working the way all my regular Mac software updates do! What is wrong and how can I fix it?

Archived