Music Dvd

bdiament

Question

Hello,

I've used Toast 7 and Toast 8 to create "music DVD"s, ordinary DVD-Rs with 24/96 PCM stereo, that will play in most DVD players. (I'm talking fully UNcompressed, high resolution stereo audio.)

I have not found a web page on the Roxio site (yet) with a full list of features for Toast 9.

Will Toast 9 still allow me to burn 24/96 audio to DVD? (Regular DVD, not BluRay or HD-DVD.)

Also, I have Jam on my machine (came with an earlier version of Peak).

Can I delete this to save some hard disk space and still have all the same functions within Toast 9?

Or do I need it to open and manipulate Jam Image files?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

11 answers to this question

I am having the same problem. I am trying to burn the new Nine Inch Nails - The Slip files to DVD-A 96/24 (PCM). I have made sure that I have set Toast to PCM 96/24. The files are 96/24 and are direct from Nine Inch Nails' website. They are provided as .WAV files. Right after it builds the track graphics and begins to encode the first track it crashes at about 3%.

Could be a bug in Toast. There's a link in the Toast Help menu to send feedback to Roxio. I have no way to check this because I don't have any 96/24 audio files.

Toast won't open Jam files. You can use Jam to Save as Disc Image which results in an .sd2f file that Toast will open with all the Jam adjustments in place.

There's no change in Toast 9 regarding Music DVD options. You can still burn 24/96 audio to DVD. I notice in Toast 9's Getting Started Guide that you also can drop in videos and photos as additional titles when in the Music DVD window. Maybe that was possible in Toast 8 but it is the first I've learned of it.

Toast won't open Jam files. You can use Jam to Save as Disc Image which results in an .sd2f file that Toast will open with all the Jam adjustments in place.

There's no change in Toast 9 regarding Music DVD options. You can still burn 24/96 audio to DVD. I notice in Toast 9's Getting Started Guide that you also can drop in videos and photos as additional titles when in the Music DVD window. Maybe that was possible in Toast 8 but it is the first I've learned of it.

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds like I should definitely keep Jam on my hard drive.

The 24/96 feature is the main reason I got Toast. It is a great way of distributing my 24/96 recordings in a format that sounds more like the originals than the best CDs can.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

I have tried to burn 24/96 PCM but Toast9 crashes every time during encoding. Reaches 50% and crash. :(

What is Toast doing during encoding? I have already 24/96 AIFF-files.

I put AIFF-files that I have previously recorded in 24/96 in the Toast Music-DVD window. I deselect all DVD-options such as Menu and Shuffle etc. I want a DVD-R with 24/96 PCM that I can play without the use of a display.

I have Toast 9 running on Mac Pro(latest) with Leopard 10.5.2

My AIFF-files are large = 1 side of an LP meaning about 500 MB each. Could this be the problem causing Toast to crash during encoding?

Any guidance appreciated to succeed with this.

I'm able to burn a DVD with menus and music using Dolby encoding. But when I set the encoding controls to PCM, the program muxes the graphics, then crashes while encoding the first song.

Okay. Tell me more about the source files. What was used to create them? Also, you only mention setting PCM but don't mention if you also set 96/24.

I've had the same problem. In Toast 7, I was burning music DVDs with full menus and graphics. I think it was in Toast 8 that this stopped working. The program would mux the graphics but choke on the encode shortly after it began. Same with Toast 9.

I'm like you. I want to be able to distribute 24/96 audio content without downsampling. I use Apple's WaveBurner, which does a good job for 16/44 audio. I bought Toast specifically for the Music DVD feature.

Is anyone from Roxio listening in?

I've had the same problem. In Toast 7, I was burning music DVDs with full menus and graphics. I think it was in Toast 8 that this stopped working. The program would mux the graphics but choke on the encode shortly after it began. Same with Toast 9.

I'm like you. I want to be able to distribute 24/96 audio content without downsampling. I use Apple's WaveBurner, which does a good job for 16/44 audio. I bought Toast specifically for the Music DVD feature.

Is anyone from Roxio listening in?

Just to confirm, you selected 96/24 PCM in Toast's Custom Encoder settings window, correct?

Look in the Roxio Converted Items folder. What track is being encoded at the time the crash happens? It is the one after the last one that gets completed. Try removing that track from the playlist and see if that changes anything. I don't do 96/24 PCM music DVDs but I have had earlier versions of Toast crash because it had trouble with specific audio files.

The only other thing I can suggest is to restart the Mac before starting one of these projects.

I just wanted to add that my experience when trying to burn the Nine Inch Nails 24/96 files as a PCM DVD Audio disc is the same as the previous posters. I have tried countless ways. When selecting PCM 24/96 under custom, (during the encoding portion) the first track gets to 3% toast crashes. I am running 9.0.2 (261) under 10.5.2 on a PPC PowerMac G5. I did eventually go back and reset defaults and had no problems using Dolby Digital. Unfortunately that is not the format I am after. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be very helpful!

I just wanted to add that my experience when trying to burn the Nine Inch Nails 24/96 files as a PCM DVD Audio disc is the same as the previous posters. I have tried countless ways. When selecting PCM 24/96 under custom, (during the encoding portion) the first track gets to 3% toast crashes. I am running 9.0.2 (261) under 10.5.2 on a PPC PowerMac G5. I did eventually go back and reset defaults and had no problems using Dolby Digital. Unfortunately that is not the format I am after. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be very helpful!

I've read that Roxio's working on a 9.0.3 update. Maybe it will fix this issue.

I am having the same problem. I am trying to burn the new Nine Inch Nails - The Slip files to DVD-A 96/24 (PCM). I have made sure that I have set Toast to PCM 96/24. The files are 96/24 and are direct from Nine Inch Nails' website. They are provided as .WAV files. Right after it builds the track graphics and begins to encode the first track it crashes at about 3%.

Archived