Tasker

Toast Won't Launch

Question

Toast doesn't launch. Console says:

19.03.08 23:18:52 com.apple.launchd [93] ([0x0-0x1b01b]. com.roxio.Toast [308]) Exited with exit code: 255

PowerMac G4 running 10.5.2 with all updates.

No external devices attached.

I do have an internal PCI ATA-133 card installed (although HDD connected not media drives)

Tried deleting the com.roxio.Toast.plist but doesn't help.

Verified that disk permissions are correct.

Won't even let me enter serial number details - just bounces in dock and then quits without an error (except in the console).

Please help!

It could be a problem with the download, have you tried downloading again, just to be sure?

Also, try testing by creating a new user account and launching while logged in as that user. Just to be safe, make sure it is an admin user account and that Toast 9 is located in the Applications folder (if you were launching from somewhere else).

It could be a problem with the download, have you tried downloading again, just to be sure?

Also, try testing by creating a new user account and launching while logged in as that user. Just to be safe, make sure it is an admin user account and that Toast 9 is located in the Applications folder (if you were launching from somewhere else).

Tried installing on another machine as a test (MacBook) without issue. DVD burners not attached to this machine so not a solution! ;-(

Also tried running as a separate (admin) account - no joy.

Is there a way to start up Toast in verbose mode so we can understand at what point it fails? I tried starting from terminal, but couldn't find any flags to make it output more information.

Thanks.

I believe there is a way to do that, but it's a little out of the realm of what we normally handle in support. I'll see if I can get details on how to do it, but I'll probably need some time. I know the QA folks and developers are looking into some of the issues reported with HD video encoding.

In the mean time, I would see what is different between the 2 systems. Do you have any OS haxies installed like the stuff from unsanity.com? Those have caused some problems for us in the past, so I am not pointing a finger, but just trying to throw out some ideas.

I believe there is a way to do that, but it's a little out of the realm of what we normally handle in support. I'll see if I can get details on how to do it, but I'll probably need some time. I know the QA folks and developers are looking into some of the issues reported with HD video encoding.

In the mean time, I would see what is different between the 2 systems. Do you have any OS haxies installed like the stuff from unsanity.com? Those have caused some problems for us in the past, so I am not pointing a finger, but just trying to throw out some ideas.

The only differences I'm aware of are G4 CPU vs Intel CPU and a few more programs installed on the G4 (not haxies though).

I've managed to dtruss Toast on open. Output is a little long to post here! The main errors appear to be unable to open toast.plist file, although this isn't surprising as its trying to open it at odd locations -->

525/0x358fd40: 4 stat64("/Library/Managed Preferences/com.roxio.Toast.plist\0", 0xBFFFD7C8, 0xB) = -1 Err#2

525/0x358fd40: 13 stat64("/var/root/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.roxio.Toast.000a27ae4052.plist\0", 0xBFFFD7C8, 0xB) = -1 Err#2

Let me know if you wish me to email you the output or perform anything else.

Thanks.

The only differences I'm aware of are G4 CPU vs Intel CPU and a few more programs installed on the G4 (not haxies though).

I've managed to dtruss Toast on open. Output is a little long to post here! The main errors appear to be unable to open toast.plist file, although this isn't surprising as its trying to open it at odd locations -->

525/0x358fd40: 4 stat64("/Library/Managed Preferences/com.roxio.Toast.plist\0", 0xBFFFD7C8, 0xB) = -1 Err#2

525/0x358fd40: 13 stat64("/var/root/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.roxio.Toast.000a27ae4052.plist\0", 0xBFFFD7C8, 0xB) = -1 Err#2

Let me know if you wish me to email you the output or perform anything else.

Thanks.

Just tried 9.02, but with no chance in behavior.

John, any update from your side on how to progress this further?

Thanks.

I used to be a happy user of Toast, I think starting with version 5, up to 8, but recently I installed 9 (actually 9.0.2). I can't even call it install since I never got to the point of entering the SN.

Toast 9 will not launch, the icon bounces a few times then quits. Trying to run it from Terminal just leads to an Exit. All the other apps that came with the CD quit after a message that they requite Toast 9 to be present (which is present of course, just keeps quitting)

Which would be marginally acceptable since I still had 8 installed.

but ... BUT!!!

ever since I first tried to run 9, 8 won't work either! Even CD spin Doctor which I originally obtained accompanying Instant Music, I believe, refuses to start up, stating that it requires Toast 8 to be present! (which is present and used to work!)

What a mess! what's going on?

yes, I deleted prefs, did the thing with the permissions, tried installing 9 while logged in as root, removed 9 and restarted, nothing changed.

It seems that there is some file somewhere that all Roxio apps use and that is quite hidden from probing eyes and which got screwed up.

I checked the boards, there were quite a few posts about the same problem with v8 as well.

When will this issue be solved?

OSX 10.5.2, PPCG4

I used to be a happy user of Toast, I think starting with version 5, up to 8, but recently I installed 9 (actually 9.0.2). I can't even call it install since I never got to the point of entering the SN.

OSX 10.5.2, PPCG4

Is there anything out of the ordinary about how your Mac is set up? Does it have dual monitors, Firewire audio or video devices or anything that makes it different from the customary Mac? Do you have any special utilities running that modify the how the OS appears? I'm just trying to determine if there is something about your Mac that makes it different from mine because I haven't had any of this trouble except that apps bundled with Toast 8 won't launch until Toast 8 itself is launched again.

Is there anything out of the ordinary about how your Mac is set up? Does it have dual monitors, Firewire audio or video devices or anything that makes it different from the customary Mac? Do you have any special utilities running that modify the how the OS appears? I'm just trying to determine if there is something about your Mac that makes it different from mine because I haven't had any of this trouble except that apps bundled with Toast 8 won't launch until Toast 8 itself is launched again.

It is out of the ordinary in the sense that is is a multiply upgraded Cube but it has no dual monitors, etc, at any rate it does not have anything now that it did not have when Toast 8 was still working.

Actually, come to think of it, I did install an "unusual" app in the meantime, TrueCrypt and I did encrypt an external FW HD with it. So I certainly have an alternative explanation, (other than the paranoid "hidden file") - something interferes with both 8 and 9.

Well if it is TC, I need it much more than Toast so if Toast is toast, the heck with it. For what I use it for I can get by with Disk Utility

What really troubles me is that SpinDoc which I got bundled with a piece of hardware I had purchased, is also not working now.

Whatever it is, it is frequent enough of a problem that many users have complained about it throughout many months and across a major upgrade. If you or anyone is interested in any log files, etc, let me know.

Toast doesn't launch. Console says:

19.03.08 23:18:52 com.apple.launchd [93] ([0x0-0x1b01b]. com.roxio.Toast [308]) Exited with exit code: 255

PowerMac G4 running 10.5.2 with all updates.

No external devices attached.

I do have an internal PCI ATA-133 card installed (although HDD connected not media drives)

Tried deleting the com.roxio.Toast.plist but doesn't help.

Verified that disk permissions are correct.

Won't even let me enter serial number details - just bounces in dock and then quits without an error (except in the console).

Please help!

Tasker

I have seen this with a few other apps as well as toast 9.0.2 it is more likely caused by a corrupt launchd database file. You will need to grab an app like coktail 4 (shareware) or MainMenu (Free) and run a launchd db update this will start a new launchd db and toast should then load normally.

Also use disk utility to check your HD for errors as these can have some strange affects. If any are found boot your mac from the install dvd and repair via disk utility whist booted from the install dvd.

I still have not found any good info on why the launchd db gets these problems and they seem to affect both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2 currently.

Another thing to do at the same time would be clear all system/user cachesm system/user temp files, run all cron scripts and finally it will require and reboot and things should be working better.

Tasker

I have seen this with a few other apps as well as toast 9.0.2 it is more likely caused by a corrupt launchd database file. You will need to grab an app like coktail 4 (shareware) or MainMenu (Free) and run a launchd db update this will start a new launchd db and toast should then load normally.

Also use disk utility to check your HD for errors as these can have some strange affects. If any are found boot your mac from the install dvd and repair via disk utility whist booted from the install dvd.

I still have not found any good info on why the launchd db gets these problems and they seem to affect both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2 currently.

Another thing to do at the same time would be clear all system/user cachesm system/user temp files, run all cron scripts and finally it will require and reboot and things should be working better.

First of all thanks for the suggestion to download MainMenu, it is an awesome little tool. Alas it was of no use, I tried rebuilding the launch db file but I may not have one, MainMenu logged the following:

sh: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister: No such file or directory

I tried every other trick MainMenu was able to do, after countless restarts and a much cleaner system, Toast remains toast.

The missing launchdb file could well be the main cause for toast and possibly other apps showing signs of strangness.

The best thing to do now would be run an archive and install of the system this will leave all your data and simply replace the system and all its files. In turn this should allow toast to launch and work normally.

As yet I have found no good info on what is causing these tyoes of issues with the system suddenly not having some files or some suddenly being corrupted for no apparent reason.

I doubt toast was behind it but a bug within the system itself.

If you decide to do the archive and install lets know how things go with toast.

Tasker

Hi robert06

Tried Disk Utility, both permissions and verify - no issue.

Tried Cocktail:

- rebuilt launchd database - no change.

- removed all cache entries (system, user and Internet) and restarted - no change.

- rebuild launchd database and reset to defaults - no change

- restarted - no change.

Conclusion - it doesn't seem to be launchd db!

Roxio - any chance of a lending hand here please - still can't use this app! :unsure:

Are there any crash or other logs from where you tried to launch toast if there are these should give an idea on what is causing the problems

Hi robert06

Tried Disk Utility, both permissions and verify - no issue.

Tried Cocktail:

- rebuilt launchd database - no change.

- removed all cache entries (system, user and Internet) and restarted - no change.

- rebuild launchd database and reset to defaults - no change

- restarted - no change.

Conclusion - it doesn't seem to be launchd db!

Roxio - any chance of a lending hand here please - still can't use this app! :unsure:

I'm getting pretty much the same results. I have 2 G5's and was trying to move the Tivo/Toast operation from one to the other. On one G5 it works fine (Tiger OS) on the other I'm getting these same errors (Leopard OS).

I'd also appreciate some help if anyone can offer it!

Thanks!

Ken

I would suggest a complete reinstallation after uninstalling.

At the very least, trash the preferences.

If you have Bluetooth turned on, turn it off and see if it makes any difference.

Richard-

Thanks for the tips, but alas, no luck. At this point I don't have most of the files installed that it told you to remove as it's not getting that far. The machine doesn't have Bluetooth (it's an older Single Processor G5 if that matters) and has nothing connected to it except the ethernet connection. It's running headless but I don't know what difference that should make to Toast.

I also tried Popcorn since all I really need to do is convert TiVo files, but it won't run either... bounces a few times in the dock and then blinks off.

Ken

Richard-

Thanks for the tips, but alas, no luck. At this point I don't have most of the files installed that it told you to remove as it's not getting that far. The machine doesn't have Bluetooth (it's an older Single Processor G5 if that matters) and has nothing connected to it except the ethernet connection. It's running headless but I don't know what difference that should make to Toast.

I also tried Popcorn since all I really need to do is convert TiVo files, but it won't run either... bounces a few times in the dock and then blinks off.

Ken

Ken,

Did you also delete the second preference file, "Roxio Toast Prefs" file, as well as the "com.roxio.Toast.plist" file? It is a little further down the list in the same User > Library > Preferences folder. Roxio seems to be very big on restarting the Mac after this sort of thing (yea, like a PC).

Richard

Ken,

Did you also delete the second preference file, "Roxio Toast Prefs" file, as well as the "com.roxio.Toast.plist" file? It is a little further down the list in the same User > Library > Preferences folder. Roxio seems to be very big on restarting the Mac after this sort of thing (yea, like a PC).

Richard

Richard-

Yes, I did, and now that I've done that it isn't getting far enough in the launch process to re-create any of the preference files :(

I did also repair permissions and restart... all with the same frustrating results.

Ken

Ken

Now that toast has started to do something are there any crash logs in either of these locations.

HD/Libray/Logs or HD/Home/Library/Logs or try console logs and anything that shows roxio or toast.

There should be something one would hope if there is it may finally lead to the cause.

Also after reading somewhere else do you have any third party Quicktime Codecs in HD/Library/Quicktime or HD/Home/Library/Quicktime?

Some used to cause issues with toast 8.0.* and may well do the same for toast 9.0.2

We have ruled out a few things I am looking at others which maybe having a affect with toast.

Ken,

I am going to have to think about this a bit.

Even with all of my misadventures and misfortunes with Toast 9 the stupid thing would at least launch.

I am inclined to think that something more than just the permissions has gotten out of whack, but have no specific reason to say so. Right now I am short of ideas other than a complete uninstall/reinstall to see if there is anything that changes.

Do you have a utility such as OnyX which you can use to clear caches? (It's free!) You might try that while we both think about this some more.

Richard

Ken

Now that toast has started to do something are there any crash logs in either of these locations.

HD/Libray/Logs or HD/Home/Library/Logs or try console logs and anything that shows roxio or toast.

There should be something one would hope if there is it may finally lead to the cause.

Also after reading somewhere else do you have any third party Quicktime Codecs in HD/Library/Quicktime or HD/Home/Library/Quicktime?

Some used to cause issues with toast 8.0.* and may well do the same for toast 9.0.2

We have ruled out a few things I am looking at others which maybe having a affect with toast.

Robert-

No specific roxio or toast log, but a message in console:

5/1/08 10:25:38 PM com.apple.launchd[76] ([0x0-0x32032].com.roxio.Toast[352]) Exited with exit code: 255

which has been there all along.

It's a pretty fresh install of Leopard, so there's not much on there. I did install the Turbo 264 software and device, but I've removed that and it doesn't seem to make any difference. This machine had a drive crash that required replacing it, so it's like a new system.

As to caches, I usually run YASU and have done that. Someone suggested MainMenu and I tried that too, but I haven't run all of it's options for cache cleaning.

I'm open to reformatting the drive and starting over if there's some reason to think it would help. I've also toyed with the idea of going back to Tiger to see if that helps.

Ken

Ken

I did some digging regarding the exit code 255 it seems it happens to a fair people and with several different apps.

I am not sure if this will help or not but is worth a try to see.

Setup a test user account in leopard with full admin privs and and log into it and see if toast runs from the newly setup test user account. I have seen people with other possibly related problems once a new account was setup things worked as they should. This will also give an idea if there is some underlying issue with the system that may not be otherwise apparent.

Also was the leopard install and update from tiger or a clean install?

I have seen some strange issue for some people with upgrade installs from tiger.

Lets know what happens.

Ken

I did some digging regarding the exit code 255 it seems it happens to a fair people and with several different apps.

I am not sure if this will help or not but is worth a try to see.

Setup a test user account in leopard with full admin privs and and log into it and see if toast runs from the newly setup test user account. I have seen people with other possibly related problems once a new account was setup things worked as they should. This will also give an idea if there is some underlying issue with the system that may not be otherwise apparent.

Also was the leopard install and update from tiger or a clean install?

I have seen some strange issue for some people with upgrade installs from tiger.

Lets know what happens.

Robert-

I think I had tried that before, but I did it again with no help.

It's a clean install on a brand new hard drive. There might have been a couple of other applications installed, but not much, so it's fairly clean.

Ken

Hmm

Is there any codecs in HD/Library/Quicktime?

If there are temporarily zip them and try toast again some QT codecs can cause problems.

Are there any problems with other applications not working correctly?

What size does toast show when get info is used?

Doing the following will completely remove Toast 9.0.2 (There maybe a file amongst these which is corrupt or missing)

HD/Applications/Toast Titanium

HD/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Library/Quicktime/DivX Decoder.component (This will be there if the divx was used during install)

HD/Users/Your name/Documents/Roxio Converted Items (This may or may not be there)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Contextual Menu Items/ToastIt.plugin

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/com.roxio.Toast.plist

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/Roxio Toast Prefs

The above will completely remove Toast from the mac. I suggest a restart to make sure the mac is running free of the codec and contextual menu item before trying the install again.

If the install fails again I will continue to help find the cause as I am doing some checking myself to see what I can find which may lead to the cause of your problems.

Hmm

Is there any codecs in HD/Library/Quicktime?

If there are temporarily zip them and try toast again some QT codecs can cause problems.

Are there any problems with other applications not working correctly?

What size does toast show when get info is used?

Doing the following will completely remove Toast 9.0.2 (There maybe a file amongst these which is corrupt or missing)

HD/Applications/Toast Titanium

HD/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Library/Quicktime/DivX Decoder.component (This will be there if the divx was used during install)

HD/Users/Your name/Documents/Roxio Converted Items (This may or may not be there)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Contextual Menu Items/ToastIt.plugin

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/com.roxio.Toast.plist

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/Roxio Toast Prefs

The above will completely remove Toast from the mac. I suggest a restart to make sure the mac is running free of the codec and contextual menu item before trying the install again.

If the install fails again I will continue to help find the cause as I am doing some checking myself to see what I can find which may lead to the cause of your problems.

Actually, there is no need to ZIP them as far as I am aware. You can simply move the QT items to a folder on the desktop and see what happens. If you want to restore things to the way it was, just move them back.

There are "known issues" with Xvid according to Roxio support and there may very well be issues with other QT components.

If this is an install over a previous version of Toast there may well be other bits and pieces left over that should be removed which are listed in the KB Article "How to uninstall Toast Titanium and all associated files" I previously linked.

Edited by richard_briscoe