• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Tasker

Toast Won't Launch

Question

Toast doesn't launch. Console says:

19.03.08 23:18:52 com.apple.launchd [93] ([0x0-0x1b01b]. com.roxio.Toast [308]) Exited with exit code: 255

PowerMac G4 running 10.5.2 with all updates.

No external devices attached.

I do have an internal PCI ATA-133 card installed (although HDD connected not media drives)

Tried deleting the com.roxio.Toast.plist but doesn't help.

Verified that disk permissions are correct.

Won't even let me enter serial number details - just bounces in dock and then quits without an error (except in the console).

Please help!

Hmm

Is there any codecs in HD/Library/Quicktime?

If there are temporarily zip them and try toast again some QT codecs can cause problems.

Are there any problems with other applications not working correctly?

What size does toast show when get info is used?

Doing the following will completely remove Toast 9.0.2 (There maybe a file amongst these which is corrupt or missing)

HD/Applications/Toast Titanium

HD/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Library/Quicktime/DivX Decoder.component (This will be there if the divx was used during install)

HD/Users/Your name/Documents/Roxio Converted Items (This may or may not be there)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Contextual Menu Items/ToastIt.plugin

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/com.roxio.Toast.plist

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/Roxio Toast Prefs

The above will completely remove Toast from the mac. I suggest a restart to make sure the mac is running free of the codec and contextual menu item before trying the install again.

If the install fails again I will continue to help find the cause as I am doing some checking myself to see what I can find which may lead to the cause of your problems.

Robert-

Still no luck :(

The file shows 361.4MB v9.0.2

Most of the files listed above weren't there because I had pulled them previously and it hasn't run well enough to install them since. There was a Quicktime component for the H264 Turbo, but zipping it made no difference.

I think I'm going to try reformatting the drive and reinstalling the system tonight. If that doesn't do it, then I give up. I certainly appreciate your efforts!

Ken

Robert-

Still no luck :(

The file shows 361.4MB v9.0.2

Most of the files listed above weren't there because I had pulled them previously and it hasn't run well enough to install them since. There was a Quicktime component for the H264 Turbo, but zipping it made no difference.

I think I'm going to try reformatting the drive and reinstalling the system tonight. If that doesn't do it, then I give up. I certainly appreciate your efforts!

Ken

By the way, other aps, what few I've tred (Itunes, Safari) seem to run fine.

Ken,

Has anyone suggested installing Toast on a new User Account to see if that makes any difference?

I think it was John who suggested downloading a new copy of Toast from the web page just in case there was something odd about the download or if there has been a change in the build even if it still shows the same version number.

Richard

Ken,

Has anyone suggested installing Toast on a new User Account to see if that makes any difference?

I think it was John who suggested downloading a new copy of Toast from the web page just in case there was something odd about the download or if there has been a change in the build even if it still shows the same version number.

Richard

Yes, Richard, I've tried both of those things :( I'm reformatting the machine right now and we'll see if that helps on a completely clean install. I'm wondering if one of the recent software updates is what breaks this, because it did run once... just long enough to get the Tivo enabled and then it died. I can't remember what the timing was on doing the software updates from 10.5.0 which is what's on my install DVD I think.

Ken

Yes, Richard, I've tried both of those things :( I'm reformatting the machine right now and we'll see if that helps on a completely clean install. I'm wondering if one of the recent software updates is what breaks this, because it did run once... just long enough to get the Tivo enabled and then it died. I can't remember what the timing was on doing the software updates from 10.5.0 which is what's on my install DVD I think.

Ken

Well, I think I have found the problem... It appears that the program is incapable of launching in the headless mode. Got the OS restored and had to put a monitor on it to do that. Everything worked fine until I removed the monitor and then it stopped.

I sure hope this gets addressed in a future version, although I realize it's probably not a "normal" configuration.

Ken

Well, I think I have found the problem... It appears that the program is incapable of launching in the headless mode. Got the OS restored and had to put a monitor on it to do that. Everything worked fine until I removed the monitor and then it stopped.

I sure hope this gets addressed in a future version, although I realize it's probably not a "normal" configuration.

Ken

Ken

Thats exactly whats happening to me. Can anyone tell me why Toast would refuse to run in headless mode?

Is Roxio going to fix this a bug?

Thanks.

Ken

Thats exactly whats happening to me. Can anyone tell me why Toast would refuse to run in headless mode?

Is Roxio going to fix this a bug?

Thanks.

This is annoying to say the least. Is there any way to "spoof" a display via software on a mac to get around this? I really don't want to start soldering resistors to dvi and vga dongles.

As much as I've enjoyed using Toast to author BDs (well aside from the 3-day encode time since moving to 10.5.3), I am not going to buy another monitor to run one program on one machine.

Edit (July 1): My issue has been resolved. I tried using a video card that did NOT support QE/CI, which caused my problems. Without QE, Toast 9 will not launch. It was not a matter of running headless in my case. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by pastis

It has been registered as a bug in our database, but its not a super high priority unfortunately. I have had some users say that a DVI to VGA adapter was enough to fool the system into thinking a display was attached but that didn't work for others.

Out of curiosity, why are you running "headless"?

Are you starting a Toast run on one Mac and then plugging the monitor into another while Toast makes its run or just what?

Thanks

Out of curiosity, why are you running "headless"?

Are you starting a Toast run on one Mac and then plugging the monitor into another while Toast makes its run or just what?

Thanks

I personally use multiple macs at home (four right now)-- each serves a different purpose. This particular headless one is my media creator. I store my iTunes library on it and all my tivo transfers. It also *used* to handle all my file conversions, encoding, de/re-muxings, and blu-ray authoring/writing.

For what it's worth, I've tried the various hardware mods on the net (resistors on dvi dongles, dvi-vga-null adapters, etc.) to fool the mini into thinking it has a head, and nothing is working for me. Moreover, I can't even get Toast to run with a physical VGA display attached via a DVI-VGA adapter.

Edited by pastis

I personally use multiple macs at home (four right now)-- each serves a different purpose. This particular headless one is my media creator. I store my iTunes library on it and all my tivo transfers. It also *used* to handle all my file conversions, encoding, de/re-muxings, and blu-ray authoring/writing.

For what it's worth, I've tried the various hardware mods on the net (resistors on dvi dongles, dvi-vga-null adapters, etc.) to fool the mini into thinking it has a head, and nothing is working for me. Moreover, I can't even get Toast to run with a physical VGA display attached via a DVI-VGA adapter.

pastis,

Thanks for responding. I was wonder if that was what you were doing.

I have a number of older Macs I am in the process of putting back into working order and had been considering various ways of using them. It seems that the selection of KVM switches with DVI capability is rather limited right now (and not exactly inexpensive either). One I though might be coming to market based on a press release will not be available until October or later. That would allow me to control multiple Macs with one Keyboard, Video (monitor) and Mouse, but I do not have any idea whether this would be subject to the same problem you have encountered.

The really puzzling part is why the physical VGA display with adapter will not resolve the issue. Actually, the really puzzling part is just why Roxio made their software "function" this way in the first place.

If Roxio ever chooses to address this problem, I would not be inclined to think it will get a fix out any time soon. I guess you might have to check the local Craigslist or whatever to see if there is an old DVI monitor someone is trying to get arid of for not much money.

Richard

I totally agree with your thoughts on the lack of decent DVI KVMs on the market right now. This has been frustrating me both at home and at the office.

For what it's worth, I set up another Intel C2D test machine last night and fiddled with some settings. Once I messed around in the plists and forced QE/CI, the icon bounce went away and I could use the program. Yay! I didn't have time to test a PPC mini, so who knows if that workaround will carry over to the PPC's DVI connection. I'm going to create a new resister-rigged dvi->vga adapter this week and see if I can force the PPC back into running headless.

Edited by pastis

Hmm

Is there any codecs in HD/Library/Quicktime?

If there are temporarily zip them and try toast again some QT codecs can cause problems.

Are there any problems with other applications not working correctly?

What size does toast show when get info is used?

Doing the following will completely remove Toast 9.0.2 (There maybe a file amongst these which is corrupt or missing)

HD/Applications/Toast Titanium

HD/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Library/Quicktime/DivX Decoder.component (This will be there if the divx was used during install)

HD/Users/Your name/Documents/Roxio Converted Items (This may or may not be there)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Application Support/Roxio (This is a folder)

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Contextual Menu Items/ToastIt.plugin

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/com.roxio.Toast.plist

HD/Users/Your name/Library/Preferences/Roxio Toast Prefs

The above will completely remove Toast from the mac. I suggest a restart to make sure the mac is running free of the codec and contextual menu item before trying the install again.

If the install fails again I will continue to help find the cause as I am doing some checking myself to see what I can find which may lead to the cause of your problems.

For me, success came (with Toast Titanium 7) when I removed the XviD_1.0alpha QT component in /Library/QuickTime! I got that tip from creed in another thread.

For me, success came (with Toast Titanium 7) when I removed the XviD_1.0alpha QT component in /Library/QuickTime! I got that tip from creed in another thread.

Somewhere or other Roxio has said that there are "known issues" with Xvid (and maybe some other QT codecs). It would be nice if they were able to resolve the problem.

Coupla things:

* This is the Toast 9 forum. This problem has nothing to do with Toast 7. It's a Toast 9 thing where you MUST have a monitor plugged in.

* You *DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE* *DON'T HAVE TO RE-INSTALL* etc. You just have to ... plug in a monitor? Wha?? Judging by the length of this thread you [Roxio] have wasted a LOT of users' time.

* This problem *is* because you need a monitor connected .. and this is a serious bug if you're a system administrator. WHY do I need a powered down monitor connected to a headless machine in order to BURN a disc?? And yes, I'm using 'Screen Sharing' to view the burn because.. Remote Access is built into Leopard. And yes, this is a NORMAL WORKFLOW. Was this tested?

* This is a serious logic bug. I have to 'trick' my Mac into thinking there's a monitor? Please, this is NOT Windows-- worst case scenario, kluges like what Support has recommended may introduce bugs in OTHER APPS.

Roxio Support should not be suggesting that you 'hack' or 'kluge' your system in order to get their product to work.

Roxio folks, please do not be Smith Micro. You need to fix this bug. Please DO NOT TELL ME that this is fixed in Toast 10. And that I have to BUY A BUGFIX at MacWorld.

Seriously.

My system: Headless CoreDuo [not C2D] Mini fileserver that gets assets backed up to DVD once a week. I unplugged the existing monitor [that hadn't been powered up for weeks] and got this error. Instantly.

The bug went away when I plugged another monitor, or the same one in. The bug came back then I unplugged. Again, this is a Mini [no vid cards], which runs with either no monitor or powered down.

Sorry, NOT HAPPY here. I rely on Toast for burning. And I'm *very surprised* that there aren't more folks who run a Mini [or other machines] in a remote / headless situation. I guess monitors are cheap.

@Richard in post #36. In my case, one display is a DVI to SVGA adaptor, display running at 1024x768, in the other case it's just DVI running at 1280x1024. And Toast, AFAIK, requires 1024x768 [at least to see all the UI].

Edited by leoofborg