• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Apple Mulls Over Unlimited Music Bundle On A Ipod Or Iphone

cdanteek

Until now, Apple has scoffed at the idea of music subscriptions. Steve Jobs, its chief executive, has said that people want to own, not rent music. The company declined to comment.

One impetus of the change has been a campaign by Doug Morris, the chief executive of Universal Music Group, to find a way to sell music subscriptions. A key concept is that instead of charging people a monthly fee, the price of music could be bundled into a device.

Apple mulls unlimited music bundle

Apple Will Listen to Universal’s Music Subscription Pitch

Until now, Apple has scoffed at the idea of music subscriptions. Steve Jobs, its chief executive, has said that people want to own, not rent music. The company declined to comment.

That seems to be the thinking of those 'of a certain age.'

Of all the Christmas presents I gave the college student in our family, the most popular was the prepaid Netflix monthly (rental subscription) that we gave her. She doesn't want to own the movies, just watch lots of them with friends.

I think the same applies to music and phones.

She doesn't want to carry two different devices ( both a phone and mp3 player won't fit in those tight jeans ). That meant that the music rental for her mp3 player went unused for a couple of months until she told me to cancel it in order to buy her movie rentals.

Buying CDs for someone who's taste in music changes frequently makes no sense. If she's going to buy music, she buys individual tracks online from Napster and compiles a 'favorites' CD for the car.

A monthly subscription for music that she can download to the one device she carries everywhere ( her cell phone ) is something she'd use and something I'd be willing to pay for.

Since I'm 'of a certain age', I look at the younger generation to see what their entertainment trends are, and they want to 'rent' not own.

Archived