Burning Mpg To Playable Dvd?

whityiu

Question

Hello,

I am looking at options for media creation software and Toast gets teh highest ratings and reviews, so i am leaning towards it. However, basically i want to know if it can burn .mpg files onto DVDs that are playable in a DVD player?

Any information is much appreciated! Thanks

--whit

2 answers to this question

Yes. If the .mpg file meets the video DVD spec then Toast will merely multiplex the audio and video as part of authoring the video DVD. If it doesn't meet the spec Toast may insist on re-encoding the .mpg file, even if you selected Never re-encode in Toast's custom encoder settings.

There can be some exceptions. For example, I have a Pixela application that can do frame-accurate MPEG editing. If I save the file as a standard .mpg then Toast can't recognize it. If I save it as separate .m2v and audio streams then Toast accepts it without any problem.

It also is very wise to have MPEG Streamclip (which requires Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component). There are times Toast has had difficulty with an .mpg or .mpeg file that required my using Streamclip's "Fix Timecode Breaks" feature to resolve.

I've probably made this sound like these files rarely work in Toast, yet it is just the opposite. There are rare times when they don't work without a little help from MPEG Streamclip.

Why must everything be so godforsaken complicated and full of variables?

I miss tape!

Seriously, there needs to be an easier way than this. How about a program where you list the video files you want to burn and then press burn and you're done? Can it really be that hard? It's not even encrypted video, yet there are a million things that need to be just right in order for it to work! LAME, LAME, LAME! This stuff should just work, no accessories needed, no BS features and options and help. It should be: list the files, burn the files, watch the files. And why must they break our balls with all of these stupid different file types, anyway? Movies should all be .mov and pictures should all be .pic and music should all be .mus -- and that's it. All these people jockeying for people's dollars, trying to cut out other people and benefit others is just self-serving nonsense that is mind-numbingly frustrating and stupid! We need a totalitarian government that is not so laissez-faire on manipulation of consumer goods next time.

Yes. If the .mpg file meets the video DVD spec then Toast will merely multiplex the audio and video as part of authoring the video DVD. If it doesn't meet the spec Toast may insist on re-encoding the .mpg file, even if you selected Never re-encode in Toast's custom encoder settings.

There can be some exceptions. For example, I have a Pixela application that can do frame-accurate MPEG editing. If I save the file as a standard .mpg then Toast can't recognize it. If I save it as separate .m2v and audio streams then Toast accepts it without any problem.

It also is very wise to have MPEG Streamclip (which requires Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component). There are times Toast has had difficulty with an .mpg or .mpeg file that required my using Streamclip's "Fix Timecode Breaks" feature to resolve.

I've probably made this sound like these files rarely work in Toast, yet it is just the opposite. There are rare times when they don't work without a little help from MPEG Streamclip.

Archived