Itunes Losing Cd Spin Doctor Track Order

BobPowers

Question

I'm using CD Spin Doctor 4.0.2.333t to digitize vinyl records playing on an Ion iTTUSB05 turntable via a line in input to a PowerBook. My OS is 10.4.11. My version of iTunes is 7.6.1.

An annoying problem is that, after recording and filtering, when I import to iTunes, the track order is lost. Tracks are listed alphabetically in iTunes rather than the correct order. I can overcome this, of course, by manually entering track numbers and total number of tracks. Can this process be streamlined so that iTunes has correct numbered tracks when imported?

A second annoying problem is that sometimes the name of the album has a long string of Chinese or Japanese characters appended to it after the import is done. I have to delete the title and re-enter it and the artist name. When this happens, the genre and year are lost as well, so they have to be re-entered in iTunes. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

4 answers to this question

Slight correction to the earlier post. The location where the weird Chinese or Japanese characters are showing up is in the artist name, not the album name. The last time this happened, the artist name had a & character in it, as in Simon & Garfunkel. Should this matter?

Pulling this out of the air, but the asian character thing, could be a font corruption problem, source of many bedevilments on the Mac.

You can try using Font Book to eliminate this variable, at least. In FB, select all fonts, and go under File > Validate Fonts. FB can't repair fonts, but can report damaged fonts; you can at least "turn off" non system fonts from there. Shot in the dark here.

Yes, the Roxio site server slowed, and then finally crashed at a certain point today.

John, thanks for the idea re sorting by reverse order of date added in iTunes to get the tracks in the correct order. That makes it much easier to enter the track numbers via Get Info.

The Asian character problem has nothing to do with the "&" character in the artist name. It continues to occur in cases where there are no special characters in the artist name.

By the way, what's the deal with the Roxio forum server this morning. Exceedingly slow!!!!

Yes, this is annoying, although I haven't had the asian character bug you're describing.

Oddly, Spin Doctor offers a track number field, but then doesn't bother adding track numbers to the file names (why bother entering the data otherwise). For making a playlist for a particular album added, I usually set my iTunes Library to sort by Date Added and then reverse the order, and drag the tracks into a separate playlist to obtain the correct track sequence.

When ripping CDs in iTunes, I have the prefs set to append the track numbers to the filename (hint, hint, Spin Doctor). After once having a corrupted iTunes Library file, I learned the hard way that it's an advantage to have the track numbers when rebuilding a library. :(

I'm using CD Spin Doctor 4.0.2.333t to digitize vinyl records playing on an Ion iTTUSB05 turntable via a line in input to a PowerBook. My OS is 10.4.11. My version of iTunes is 7.6.1.

An annoying problem is that, after recording and filtering, when I import to iTunes, the track order is lost. Tracks are listed alphabetically in iTunes rather than the correct order. I can overcome this, of course, by manually entering track numbers and total number of tracks. Can this process be streamlined so that iTunes has correct numbered tracks when imported?

A second annoying problem is that sometimes the name of the album has a long string of Chinese or Japanese characters appended to it after the import is done. I have to delete the title and re-enter it and the artist name. When this happens, the genre and year are lost as well, so they have to be re-entered in iTunes. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John, thanks for the idea re sorting by reverse order of date added in iTunes to get the tracks in the correct order. That makes it much easier to enter the track numbers via Get Info.

The Asian character problem has nothing to do with the "&" character in the artist name. It continues to occur in cases where there are no special characters in the artist name.

By the way, what's the deal with the Roxio forum server this morning. Exceedingly slow!!!!

Archived