• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Copying Then Playing On A Dvd Player

Joe Tierno

Question

Problem:"You have files to be written" appears every time I start my computer.

Here is what I did before this appeared:

1. I had a non-copyrighted DVD & wanted to make a copy.

2. Using Roxio "Video Copy & Convert" software I copied it to my hard drive.

3. I removed the original and filed it away. I was able to view the video on my hard drive.

4. Next, I inserted a blank Memorex DVD-R into my DVD drive on the computer.

5. From Windows Explorer, I copied it onto the blank DVD. I didn’t use the Roxio software (too confusing). Maybe this was a mistake.

6. The copied DVD plays fine on my computer but not on either of my DVD players. Other DVDs I have dubbed from VHSs to -R play fine, but not this one.

Question 1: Is there some finalization I should have done? I can’t find it on Roxio.

Question 2: Can I erase the files from my hard drive causing the message "You have files to be written"?

Question 3: Can you direct me to the appropriate user group for a beginner?

Thanks, Joe

Hello Brendon,

Well, I think I've finally put a stake in the heart of this beast. As you suggested I tried another brand of dvds, this time HP DVD+RW. The salesman said that + RW is a more advance version but in my case, it didn't matter a hoot as I got the same result (do I really need to retype those awful words I read whenever I load a dvd?).

So now, my HP computer has a shiny new HP DVD burner and even shinier new HP discs but apparently the family is still not talking to each other. One thing that did happen was a warning from Roxio that my video graphic card might be outdated. The problem is I already ran that software test and it said there were no updates available. Well, I went directly to the website and found a device driver (6.14.10.4342) update for my Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. I inserted a blank dvd and got the same result; can't be read.

However, I launched Roxio but left the dvd driver empty. When it prompted me for a dvd I loaded it and that did it!!! Finally, I was able to copy a dvd. This makes no sense to me but I consider this project done.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I really appreciate all you and the others have done so now it's on to making a video of my exploits at Sebring in a big vintage car race last year.

Best wishes, Joe

Hello again Joe,

Yes, I have been working on this problem when I can get time, but I've been short of that lately. I have read many messages on various forums, and I'm coming to the view that your new drive is having difficulty reading your blank Memorex DVD-R discs. I think we would have come to it earlier, except for all the side-issues.

The “Drive is not accessible. Incorrect function" message seems to be given whenever what you're trying to do can't be done on that drive. Examples are when the drive letter being used belongs to something other than a burner, or the disc in a burner can't be written to for some reason. You get this error if a program is trying to make an Explorer copy to a disc when you don't have a packet-writer installed, or if the drive can't recognize the disc.

One of the posts I just finished reading mentioned that with an unrecognizable disc the label of the drive changed from DVDRW to CD drive. That sounds very much like what you reported, and would tend to confirm the idea that the drive is having 'issues' with blank Memorex discs. This isn't so uncommon if the type of blank isn't included in the recognition table held in the drive's firmware.

Would you please consider getting one or two of another type/brand of DVD and trying these in the same situation?

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Well, that’s embarrassing! I never realized my dvd drive was not also a writer. Does Roxio have a list of compatible or recommended dvd burners? Here are some details about my computer.

1. HP desktop model d220 MT using Windows XP Pro Version 2002 with Service Pack 2.

2. Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHZ, 248 MB of RAM

3. The dvd/cd drive that I will be removing is LITE-ON COMBO SOHC 4832K (thanks for spotting my typo).

I realize a direct recommendation may not be allowed but I could use some suggestions.

Is the comment today by cdanteek relevant to what I need? I followed a couple of links but I don't get it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Joe

Hello Joe,

I'm sorry to tell you, but that solved the mystery very quickly and certainly. :(

Your drive is a Combo drive. It is a CD re-writer, and a DVD reader. It has no DVD recording ability, so that's why the "Copy Now" button is disabled. You will need to install a DVD writer to do what you want.

Just an aside, are you sure it's not a 4832 rather than a 4032? Lite-On started with the 5232, and then made a slower version of the same drive - the 4832. I wasn't aware that they'd made an even slower 4032.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Joe,

I can't explain why your drive or software behaves so strangely when you try to do things with a disc already inserted, but will be sensible if you only insert one when requested to [shakes head] however I'm extremely glad you've found a way to make it behave. :)

It's times like this I reflect that burning optical discs is still more of an Art than a Science it seems, and the guy who called it "Easy . . ." was a car salesman! :(

One last thing before I go, and that's RW discs. There are writeable and re-writeable discs. On Writeable discs [CD-R; DVD-R; DVD+R] anything you do is permanent, but re-writeable discs [CDRW; DVD-RW; DVD+RW] can be erased and used again quite a few times. Rewriteables are usually more expensive.

What you need to know is that rewriteable discs do wear out in use and don't hold data as long as writeables, so they're not recommended for permanent storage. The 'plus' writeable discs [DVD+R] are more versatile than the 'dash' writeable discs [DVD-R], but either of them is much more preferable for long term or valuable data storage than DVD-RW or DVD+RW.

Go well,

Brendon

Does Roxio have a list of compatible or recommended dvd burners?

Hi Joe,

Roxio might have a list, but they don't tell us - We're "non-employees", just customers who have been around a while and like to help other customers.

Cdanteek would know more about the various optical drives available than most people. His earlier comment wasn't meant for you, but in his later comment he's suggesting that any of the current crop of drives available should work for you. The items in his signature are just handy links to fixes for common problems, and aren't meant to apply to you. :)

Cheers,

Brendon

Joe,

You went too far:

1. Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager / DVD- CD-Rom drives / HP DVD Writer 104R / Properties / General

cdanteek wants to know exactly what shows up when you click the + alongside the DVD/CD-ROM drives icon. I can't find a DVD Writer 104R which would be a rather old drive, although there is a 1040R.

You still haven't answered the questions about the software:

-What version number of Video Copy & Convert are you using?

-Did it come in a retail version of a software suite, or did it come free with a drive or the computer?

-What is the name of the software suite it came in?

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Thanks for your advice. I would never had figured that out but with your help I feel I'm making progress.

I started all over and did the following:

1. Opened Copy and Convert

2. Copied uncopyrighted dvd to a dvd folder, removed the original dvd from the drive. I was able to play the dvd from my hard drive proving the copy went well.

3. Loaded a blank dvd-r in the d: drive in preparation of copying to it from the c:drive

4. For source, I chose the newly created dvd folder on my hard drive. So far so good.

5. For destination, I chose the d:drive.

Problem: The copy button in the upper right is dimmed. The only option it allows is to copy to another folder on my hard drive, which I don't want to do. This is a quick synopsis of the several hours I spent trying different combinations.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe,

You seem to be running in Windows XP, which has a built-in ability to write CDs through Windows Explorer, and your DVD drive has CD recording enabled.

If you go to My Computer, select the burner, right-click on it and select properties, you will see the properties set for that drive. Click the Recording tab, and uncheck 'Enable CD recording on this drive'. This will disable Explorer's CD burning ability, and should remove that annoying message.

Alternately, if you click to see the files which are ready to burn and are causing that message, you'll see a number of links to those files. They look like shortcuts, but the arrow on the icon points in a different direction. They are only links, and you can highlight them and delete them without affecting the files they point to. That will also make the message go away.

Now, you may already know that a CD audio disc is created differently from a data disc. It has a different structure, which is recognized by a CD player. An audio disc can play, whereas a data disc usually can't be 'played'.

DVD-Video discs have a different structure from DVD data discs, in the same way. You can't play a data disc in the older players - it has to be written in the proper video structure, what they call 'Video-DVD compliant'. When you copy with Explorer you get a data disc, not a video-compliant one. The computer can play the files it sees on the data disc, but your player can't.

You need to write the copied DVD files on your hard drive to DVD using the Roxio program, so that a video-compliant disc is made.

Your questions:

(1) NO, it's not a finalization matter, it's data vs. video-compliant disc structure.

(2) You can disable XP's built-in burning and/or delete the links to those files

(3) We don't have a learners' forum here - we're all learners to varying degrees :) - but places like videohelp.com are very helpful if you're new to the field. And as you see, we will give you help here if we can. Don't be worried about being a newbie or being thought stupid - we were all newbies once, and many of us still are. The only stupid is not being willing to read what people have written, or being too frightened to ask questions. :)

Regards,

Brendon

Hello Brendon,

Have you had a chance to research this any more after my reply on April 5th? I apologize if I'm a nuisance but I don't know where else to turn. Thanks again for all you've done. Joe

Brendon,

Your summary is correct. I look forward to any tips you can provide. Thanks again for all of your help.

Joe

Brendon,

I bought an HP dvd 1040i-4H10 Super Mulit writer dvd burner for my HP computer & installed it in no time. I played a slide show, an audio cd and a home movie previously burned on a Memorex DVD-R. Everything looks fine for those tasks.

Using Copy and Convert I was able to copy a dvd to a folder with no problem. This was not possible with the old drive so I thought I was finally going to be done with this project.

However, whenever I insert a blank Memorex DVD-R I can watch as the directory changes the name of the d: drive from DVD-RAM DRIVE (D:) to CD Drive (D:) (it also displays an error message “Drive is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Next, I ran the Hardware Update Wizard and there was no better match. It also said the drive is working correctly, to which I would agree. The first paragraph attests to that.

I tried several of these brand new Memorex DVD-R discs and none work. Do they need to be formatted? Please advise as to what I need to do to be able to copy a dvd from a folder to my burner.

Thanks,

Joe

[

quote name=Brendon' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:27 PM' post='195626]

Hi Joe,

Roxio might have a list, but they don't tell us - We're "non-employees", just customers who have been around a while and like to help other customers.

Cdanteek would know more about the various optical drives available than most people. His earlier comment wasn't meant for you, but in his later comment he's suggesting that any of the current crop of drives available should work for you. The items in his signature are just handy links to fixes for common problems, and aren't meant to apply to you. :)

Cheers,

Brendon

Brendon,

I bought an HP dvd 1040i-4H10 Super Mulit writer dvd burner for my HP computer & installed it in no time. I played a slide show, an audio cd and a home movie previously burned on a Memorex DVD-R. Everything looks fine for those tasks.

Using Copy and Convert I was able to copy a dvd to a folder with no problem. This was not possible with the old drive so I thought I was finally going to be done with this project.

However, whenever I insert a blank Memorex DVD-R I can watch as the directory changes the name of the d: drive from DVD-RAM DRIVE (D:) to CD Drive (D:) (it also displays an error message “Drive is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Next, I ran the Hardware Update Wizard and there was no better match. It also said the drive is working correctly, to which I would agree. The first paragraph attests to that.

I tried several of these brand new Memorex DVD-R discs and none work. Do they need to be formatted? Please advise as to what I need to do to be able to copy a dvd from a folder to my burner.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

HP is as bad as Sony on naming Drives and Drive #'s. There excuse below,

HP DVD Writer - Why does my DVD Writer show in Device Manager with a Different ID?

CAUSE:

HP uses different hardware manufactures, and suffix used in Device Manager is only there to assist in determining the correct firmware is used for the recorder. Read and click here.

Now what drive do you have? Please list all drives the way they appear in device manager (per the HP link), and the way My Computer assigns a Drive letter.

What Hardware update wizard did you run, in detail please?

Is there a Box or Drop down arrow box to choose the HP drive selection? When you get this “Drive is not accessible. Incorrect function"

A Blank DVD making a compliant DVD Video Disc does not need any formating!

cd

Brendon,

However, whenever I insert a blank Memorex DVD-R I can watch as the directory changes the name of the d: drive from DVD-RAM DRIVE (D:) to CD Drive (D:) (it also displays an error message "Drive is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Thanks,

Joe

[

quote name=Brendon' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:27 PM' post='195626]

Hi Joe,

Cheers,

Brendon

Based on the specs for that drive on HP's site, it can only burn DVD+ type discs, not DVD- type discs. Looks like you'll need to either return it and get a burner that will use either type, or switch to DVD+ discs.

Based on the specs for that drive on HP's site, it can only burn DVD+ type discs, not DVD- type discs. Looks like you'll need to either return it and get a burner that will use either type, or switch to DVD+ discs.

Larry, do you see the little - sign under the +? :) All new drives are both formats have been for years!

Record to all major formats (±R/±RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R/RW, plus use LightScribe, on a single drive

cd

Hello again,

First off, thank you everyone for hanging in with me on this endless journey. Pasted below (sorry, I can't get bold to work) are my answers to questions that were posted yesterday.

FYI, I printed out the Read Me file that came with Suite 10. There is a topic named "What to do if your CD, DVD, or BD burner is not recognized". At the end of the discussion it states that unformatted discs should be used. When I bought my DVDs I was told that they are only available in formatted condition. I thought that technology had progressed beyond the need for unformatted. By the way, there are no markings on my dvd indicating formatted or not.

Thanks,

Joe

------------------- Answers for questions from April 3rd------

7:21am 4/3/08

still want Joe to tell us his drive in Device Manager, to be sure...

cd

1:23pm 4/3/08

Joe,

While you're getting the information cd has asked for about the drive's ID string, would you also please tell us about your software.

It wasn't relevant to your initial problem, but it might be now.

ANSWER: It came with Suite 10. The properties per the Programs folder are: Roxio VideoConvert Version 10.0.0.86.

-Did it come in a retail version of a software suite, or did it come free with a drive or the computer?

ANSWER: I bought my HP computer in 2004 & Easy CD Creator Basic Edition (ver. 6) was included. I downloaded an upgrade to RoxioEMCSuitev10_4737GA50R05 on 12-18-07. I do not have any discs for Suite v10.

Answer: RoxioEMCSuitev10_4737GA50R05. Also, I found this on the Home Page under About This Software : Easy Media Creator 10 SuiteVersion: 1.0.04 4Build: 100B44D, R03

Thanks,

Brendon

9:14pm 4/3/08

cdanteek wants to know exactly what shows up when you click the + alongside the DVD/CD-ROM drives icon. I can't find a DVD Writer 104R which would be a rather old drive, although there is a 1040R.

Answer: Device Manager / +DVD/CD-Rom drives / HP DVD Writer 1040R.

FYI, when I am in Copy & Convert the box at the bottom named Destination Selection reads: HP DVDRW DL (D:)

Joe,

You went too far:

You still haven't answered the questions about the software:

Regards,

Brendon

Larry, do you see the little - sign under the +? :) All new drives are both formats have been for years!

Record to all major formats (±R/±RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R/RW, plus use LightScribe, on a single drive

cd

I was looking at the "Specs" tab on that page, and there I don't see any of the ± signs or - signs (except for DVD-Ram), only + ones. I didn't notice the line you grabbed off of the "Overview" tab. After looking at the PDF of the specs, I see that notes DVD- so apparently they have some misleading info on the tab I was looking at.

2. Here are the specifics on my cd/dvd drive.

a. LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4032K

Hello Joe,

I'm sorry to tell you, but that solved the mystery very quickly and certainly. :(

Your drive is a Combo drive. It is a CD re-writer, and a DVD reader. It has no DVD recording ability, so that's why the "Copy Now" button is disabled. You will need to install a DVD writer to do what you want.

Just an aside, are you sure it's not a 4832 rather than a 4032? Lite-On started with the 5232, and then made a slower version of the same drive - the 4832. I wasn't aware that they'd made an even slower 4032.

Regards,

Brendon

Hello Joe,

You seem to be running in Windows XP, which has a built-in ability to write CDs through Windows Explorer, and your DVD drive has CD recording enabled.

If you go to My Computer, select the burner, right-click on it and select properties, you will see the properties set for that drive. Click the Recording tab, and uncheck 'Enable CD recording on this drive'. This will disable Explorer's CD burning ability, and should remove that annoying message.

Alternately, if you click to see the files which are ready to burn and are causing that message, you'll see a number of links to those files. They look like shortcuts, but the arrow on the icon points in a different direction. They are only links, and you can highlight them and delete them without affecting the files they point to. That will also make the message go away.

Now, you may already know that a CD audio disc is created differently from a data disc. It has a different structure, which is recognized by a CD player. An audio disc can play, whereas a data disc usually can't be 'played'.

DVD-Video discs have a different structure from DVD data discs, in the same way. You can't play a data disc in the older players - it has to be written in the proper video structure, what they call 'Video-DVD compliant'. When you copy with Explorer you get a data disc, not a video-compliant one. The computer can play the files it sees on the data disc, but your player can't.

You need to write the copied DVD files on your hard drive to DVD using the Roxio program, so that a video-compliant disc is made.

Your questions:

(1) NO, it's not a finalization matter, it's data vs. video-compliant disc structure.

(2) You can disable XP's built-in burning and/or delete the links to those files

(3) We don't have a learners' forum here - we're all learners to varying degrees :) - but places like videohelp.com are very helpful if you're new to the field. And as you see, we will give you help here if we can. Don't be worried about being a newbie or being thought stupid - we were all newbies once, and many of us still are. The only stupid is not being willing to read what people have written, or being too frightened to ask questions. :)

Regards,

Brendon

I was looking at the "Specs" tab on that page, and there I don't see any of the ± signs or - signs (except for DVD-Ram), only + ones. I didn't notice the line you grabbed off of the "Overview" tab. After looking at the PDF of the specs, I see that notes DVD- so apparently they have some misleading info on the tab I was looking at.

HP dvd1040i 20x Super Multiformat DVD Writer, internal, PATA

I see that now! :o Starting sometime in 2003 all have been Multiformat Burners. :)

I still want Joe to tell us his drive in Device Manager, to be sure...

cd

Hello again Joe,

Yes, I have been working on this problem when I can get time, but I've been short of that lately. I have read many messages on various forums, and I'm coming to the view that your new drive is having difficulty reading your blank Memorex DVD-R discs. I think we would have come to it earlier, except for all the side-issues.

The “Drive is not accessible. Incorrect function" message seems to be given whenever what you're trying to do can't be done on that drive. Examples are when the drive letter being used belongs to something other than a burner, or the disc in a burner can't be written to for some reason. You get this error if a program is trying to make an Explorer copy to a disc when you don't have a packet-writer installed, or if the drive can't recognize the disc.

One of the posts I just finished reading mentioned that with an unrecognizable disc the label of the drive changed from DVDRW to CD drive. That sounds very much like what you reported, and would tend to confirm the idea that the drive is having 'issues' with blank Memorex discs. This isn't so uncommon if the type of blank isn't included in the recognition table held in the drive's firmware.

Would you please consider getting one or two of another type/brand of DVD and trying these in the same situation?

Regards,

Brendon

Hello Joe,

I just went and tried it, in case I was missing something obvious. It worked for me. :blink:

Can you just check through this for me?

(1) Open Copy & Convert

(2) Select Copy DVD movies [Disc Copier]

(3) Select Source [ your DVD-video folder]

(4) Set destination [drive with a blank DVD inserted]

(5) Check the Copy Now button

Here's mine, when I did that sequence:

post-208-1206593112.jpg

The Copy Now button is fine, and when clicked it went off and [unnecessarily] started to recode and burn the DVD.

Does yours look the same, with a green bar along the bottom? If not, please tell me what data size is shown in the bottom right corner where mine says 4482MB and what color the bar is. Are there any warning messages down there? And is the disc size set to DVD-R/DVD+R ?

Finally, what brand and model of DVD burner drive are you using?

Regards,

Brendon

Okay Joe,

Things are getting clearer. I think we're making progress. We're starting again from post #12 now, since the first 11 were the other problem. :)

To summarize,

You now have an HP DVD Writer 1040r

You're running the full retail download [ESD] version of Easy Media Creator 10 suite.

Your problem is that when using Video Copy & Convert and trying to write a DVD folder to a video DVD on a blank Memorex DVD-R, you get an error message “Drive is not accessible. Incorrect function."

Is that a fair summary?

[b.t.w. New discs are unformatted, the technology has passed beyond the need for formatted ones.]

Regards,

Brendon

2. Using Roxio "Video Copy & Convert" software I copied it to my hard drive.

Joe,

While you're getting the information cd has asked for about the drive's ID string, would you also please tell us about your software.

It wasn't relevant to your initial problem, but it might be now.

Thanks,

Brendon

Hello,

Using "/" as clicks, here is what I did:

1. Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager / DVD- CD-Rom drives / HP DVD Writer 104R / Properties / General

2. Under the General tab are the following:

Device Type: DVD/CD-Rom Drives

Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM Drives)

Device Status: This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

3. I launched the trouble shooter and it took me to the MS help center (I think). Here is the questionaire:

Drives and Network Adapters Troubleshooter What problem are you having?

- My CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive does not work.

- I am having a problem with a hard disk drive or floppy disk drive.

- My network adapter does not work.

- I am having a problem with a tape drive or a backup program.

Allow Automatic Sniffing?

----------------- End of questonaire ---------

4. Step 3 was not helpful.

5. Driver update search: Device Manager / Properties / Driver / Update Driver.

The result of the search was that nothing better could be found.

6. Scan for hardware changes: Device Manager / DVD- CD-Rom drives / HP DVD Writer 104R / Scan for hardware changes.

It went through the process but there were no messages.

7. In answer to someone's question, there is no box or drop down arrow to choose the drive selection when I am ready to insert a dve.

I hope this helps. Thank you all for your help.

Joe

quote name='cdanteek' date='Apr 3 2008, 07:21 AM' post='196736']

HP dvd1040i 20x Super Multiformat DVD Writer, internal, PATA

I see that now! :o Starting sometime in 2003 all have been Multiformat Burners. :)

I still want Joe to tell us his drive in Device Manager, to be sure...

cd

Brendon,

Your instructions mirror exactly what I have already done so it shows we are working in the same direction. Our screens are slightly different but the purpose seems to be the same. I made a couple of screen grabs which I can send via email as they can't be pasted here.

FYI, before writing to the group to ask for help I removed a lot of files, did a disk cleanup and defrag in an effort to improve the performance of my computer.

In response to your questions:

1. The green bar at the bottom reads “Content Quality: Identical to Original 4482 MB”. The left panel shows DVD-R/DRD+R. A blank Memorex DVD-R (I’ve tried 4 or 5 blanks just to be sure) resides in my d:drive. Please note that the “Copy Now” button is dimmed and nothing I have tried can change that. There are no error or warning messages.

2. Here are the specifics on my cd/dvd drive.

a. LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4032K

b. Driver provider: Microsoft

c. Driver Date: 7/1/2001

d. Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0

e. Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

I launched the Update Driver search from the Properties panel for this device and it did not provide any recommendations for updates.

Any suggestions you can offer would be received with enthusiasm.

Thanks, Joe

Hello Joe,

I just went and tried it, in case I was missing something obvious. It worked for me. :blink:

Can you just check through this for me?

(1) Open Copy & Convert

(2) Select Copy DVD movies [Disc Copier]

(3) Select Source [ your DVD-video folder]

(4) Set destination [drive with a blank DVD inserted]

(5) Check the Copy Now button

Here's mine, when I did that sequence:

post-208-1206593112.jpg

The Copy Now button is fine, and when clicked it went off and [unnecessarily] started to recode and burn the DVD.

Does yours look the same, with a green bar along the bottom? If not, please tell me what data size is shown in the bottom right corner where mine says 4482MB and what color the bar is. Are there any warning messages down there? And is the disc size set to DVD-R/DVD+R ?

Finally, what brand and model of DVD burner drive are you using?

Regards,

Brendon

Archived