Data Dvd Apparently Still Blank After Burn

Steve2

My PC is running Windows 2000 and I am trying to burn some data onto what was a blank DVD (the drive identifier is Sony DVD RW DW-U18A). I’m using Roxio 6.1.0.91. I use the Creator Classic menu to select the relevant files to be added to the project and then click the burn button. The Record Setup menu then appears. The finalize session, don’t finalize disk option is highlighted (the two other options are greyed out (that is, are not available for selection)). The burn disk progress menu appears and the disk takes about 30 minutes to burn.

However, when I then use Windows Explorer to look at the files on the DVD I get the error message that D:\ is not accessible Incorrect function.

Help, please!

Thanks.

"The finalize session, don’t finalize disk option is highlighted" What option do you choose?

Any Disc Identifier in your V6 Creator Classic, tools? It should identify the disc and show disc space used ( data/video closed/open )?

30 min to burn a full 4.7 single layer DVD is 2X. What brand and type of media are you using (-R +R /RW )??

Your Sony DVD RW DW-U18A is a OEM Lite-On.

DVD±R/RW -SONY DVD RW DW-U18A (OEM SOHW-812S) 8X(+R) 4X(+RW) & 8X(-R) 4X(-RW) & 40/24/40/12

Drives with Gear driven trays:

- UYS1 - Dated "Feb10 ,2004"

- UYS4 - Dated "Jun28 ,2004"

Drives with Belt driven trays:

- UFS1 - Dated "Apr07 ,2004"

Below are XP directions, I hope close to W2K....Post the firmware version your drive shows?

Also look underneath the drive tray when it's open is it gear driven or belt driven?

To identify your drive in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

For the firmware version, right click the drive/s and click properties, click the details tab. It should show, example mine IDECDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640_______________BSRB_____. The # where my BSRB is, is what we need you to post with the drive model/name.

cd

Q:"The finalize session, don’t finalize disk option is highlighted" What option do you choose?

A: I have to choose this option because the other two options are greyed out and so are not available for selection.

Q: Any Disc Identifier in your V6 Creator Classic, tools? It should identify the disc and show disc space used ( data/video closed/open )?

A: I can’t find any Disc Identifier but if I go into Creator Classic and click on disk I get the ‘D:\ is not accessible Incorrect function’ message.

Q: 30 min to burn a full 4.7 single layer DVD is 2X. What brand and type of media are you using (-R +R /RW )??

A: Yes, I remember it stating that the write speed was 2X. The project left about 100mb of free space on the DVD. I’m burning Imation DVD+RW.

Q: Your Sony DVD RW DW-U18A is a OEM Lite-On.

DVD±R/RW -SONY DVD RW DW-U18A (OEM SOHW-812S) 8X(+R) 4X(+RW) & 8X(-R) 4X(-RW) & 40/24/40/12

Drives with Gear driven trays:

- UYS1 - Dated "Feb10 ,2004"

- UYS4 - Dated "Jun28 ,2004"

Drives with Belt driven trays:

- UFS1 - Dated "Apr07 ,2004"

Below are XP directions, I hope close to W2K....Post the firmware version your drive shows?

Also look underneath the drive tray when it's open is it gear driven or belt driven?

A: I would say that it is gear driven because if I look beneath the drive tray I can see a round plastic cog with teeth just inside the drive and a length of plastic with teeth that lies along one edge of the tray. As the cog turns it pulls or pushes the tray in or out.

Q: To identify your drive in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

For the firmware version, right click the drive/s and click properties, click the details tab. It should show, example mine IDECDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640_______________BSRB_____. The # where my BSRB is, is what we need you to post with the drive model/name.

A: Unfortunately it’s a work PC and only the administrator is allowed to ‘see’ the devices under device manager (he won’t be back until Tuesday)! However, I did a search on identifying firmware and found Nero InfoTool. This is a freebie and I’ve downloaded and run it. If I click on the drive tab it states, amongst other things, that the firmware version is UYS1. This is probably not what you meant though.

InfoTool provides a lot of information but I can’t see anything that’s like the long number you quote. However, on the off chance that this might be relevant, here’s some information from InfoTool:

DVD/CD-ROM drives

SONY DVD RW DW-U18A

-----------------------------

Driver

Description : CD-ROM Drive

Company : Microsoft

Version : 5.0.2183.1

Date : 11-14-1999

File Name : cdrom.inf

Interface/Features

Interface : SiS PCI IDE Controller

Parent Interface : Secondary IDE Channel

Feature : DMA:Off

Driver : Cdrom

Description : SCSI CD-ROM Driver

Version : 5.00.2195.6655

Company : Microsoft Corporation

The tabs available form InfoTool are: drive, drivers, disc, hardware, configuration, system, software and HD readiness. If you could tell me where to look I’ll provide the relevant information.

Many thanks for all your help.

A: Unfortunately it's a work PC and only the administrator is allowed to 'see' the devices under device manager (he won't be back until Tuesday)!

If it's a work computer, I'd suggest you wait til your administrator comes back and check with him. There are companies who disable the write capabilites on CD/DVD drives to protect the integrety of their files.

If it's a work computer, I'd suggest you wait til your administrator comes back and check with him. There are companies who disable the write capabilites on CD/DVD drives to protect the integrety of their files.

The write capability has not been disabled. It has just written a CD OK and has written DVDs OK in the past (I haven't written one for a while so can't identify when it stopped writing DVDs).

"The finalize session, don’t finalize disk option is highlighted"

I have to choose this option because the other two options are greyed out and so are not available for selection.

Your burning a session based data DVD. Your drive and pc probably won't see the disc outside of the burn software because the DVD is not closed, why your V6 software has the finalize disc option grayed out, I don't know. Look for a option in Classic under tools to finalize the disc.

Your DVD RW burn was probably so slow because DMA is not enabled according to Nero Info Tool, info you posted. Look in my signature # 3 to fix your DMA. Or your using a old RW Disc with a low X speed rating. Your firmware version is on the Drive tab in Nero Info Tool, under General.

cd

Doh!

It has been such a long time and I just remembered another possibility: As I recall, XP was the first OS that could read multi-session DVD's. Even then it was a little shakey until SP1.

I do not believe W2K or Win9x systems can read them…

Don't have any of those older systems around to double check that. If any of you are less zealous about your house cleaning, please check that out with an older machine.

Both my drives in Win98 read multi-session DVDs happily, Jim.

One of the gurus is still using W2K, and ran V6 for 3 weeks before going back to V5. Perhaps that person could tell us about it in Win2K?

One of the gurus is still using W2K, and ran V6 for 3 weeks before going back to V5. Perhaps that person could tell us about it in Win2K?

Yes it may well be that post-Win9x OS's are the ones that have had all the troubles.

Here is MicroSofts' listing for DVD Multi Border (Sessions) problems.

And more specificly the article for the W2K OS… - Here

In W2K the fix was in SP4.

In the MS articles they mention problems reading past the first session. My own experience (XP) indicated that some of my PCs would read nothing on a Sessions DVD where others would.

While Steve2 did not say what SP he is running, I suspect that SP4 is installed and the problem is elsewhere…

Since it is a work PC, I would be curious if the disc reads on other PCs?

Likewise I would be curious what brand and specific type of disc is in use???

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I never installed V6, but I'm still running Windows 2000, and multi-session DVDs seem to be fine. I'm wondering if they should be trying a different brand of blank. That'd be my suggestion, possibly try some Verbatim discs.

Archived