Degraded Performance Warning

Syrallas

Question

Can anyone out there flesh out a little what is meant by the warning you get when you open up Videowave while encoding/burning a production in MyDVD? :unsure:

The warning ominously states that running Videowave and MyDVD simultaneously "my result in degraded performance," and checks to see if you nevertheless want to proceed.

Here's the reason I'm asking. I'm encoding a production in MyDVD & that can take a while. I'd like to know if I can get another movie edited in Videowave so that its good to go to MyDVD for menus when the project it is encoding/burning is done. If you use Videowave when MyDVD is encoding, will the MyDVD data be compromised? Will your Videowave work somehow suffer? Does it only matter if you are actually burning data onto a disc at the time you use both programs?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Tom

B'Ville

6 answers to this question

Well, forewarned is forearmed. Best thing to for me to do I'd say based upon the above is to get the MyDVD project ready to go, do everything else, and then when I'm all done, just have my DVD encoded / burned.

Thanks for the input.

Tom

B'ville, NY

Can anyone out there flesh out a little what is meant by the warning you get when you open up Videowave while encoding/burning a production in MyDVD? :unsure:

The warning ominously states that running Videowave and MyDVD simultaneously "my result in degraded performance," and checks to see if you nevertheless want to proceed.

Here's the reason I'm asking. I'm encoding a production in MyDVD & that can take a while. I'd like to know if I can get another movie edited in Videowave so that its good to go to MyDVD for menus when the project it is encoding/burning is done. If you use Videowave when MyDVD is encoding, will the MyDVD data be compromised? Will your Videowave work somehow suffer? Does it only matter if you are actually burning data onto a disc at the time you use both programs?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Tom

B'Ville

Basically it means that you computer will/might slow down to a snails pace and you could well have all sorts of problems. You will notice that VW or myDVD use almost 100% of CPU time so if you try to run both programs at the same time something has to suffer. You also nver want to run applications when actually burning unless you want to have coasters

So basically you are playing craps if you do it -- your computer might crash -- but the product itself wouldn't be permanently damaged -- unless the actual burn is taking place?

Tom

B'ville, NY

Technically, MyDVD/Videowave are the same application. They are fairly integrated using the same .DLLs , etc. If I remember correctly, we couldn't run them at the same time at all in V9. But basically it still isn't a good idea to run ANY other application when burning especially an application that could interrupt disc I/O or an app that is CPU intensive. Yes, we should be able to, but my experience with Windows tells me otherwise. Even with my Dual Core 3Ghz with 4GB RAM, I'm still very caution about interrupting a disc burn.

Archived