• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Confused About Toast9 Ad...

jhillestad

Question

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/plugin/overview.html

this phrase :

HD on DVD!

You don't have a Blu-ray burner yet? No problem. With Toast 9 and the HD/BD plug-in you can burn high-def video content on standard DVD discs and play them back on Blu-ray or HD DVD players! This is an innovative way to get between up to 30 minutes of high-def content on affordable DVD media.

^^^^^^^ --------------- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please explain in detail to me how to make this work and have my PS3 recognize the dvd-r as a playable hi def movie. I have been hearing about BDMV but do not understand what that has to do with the ad's claim to playback on a blu ray player... is the PS3 not considered a blu ray player ? The discs are only seen as ' data ' discs.

On the HD-DVD side of things a dvd-r that I make works great on my Toshiba hd-a30 but fails on my xbox 360 hd-dvd drive - why would this be ?

Is there something about the game console blu-ray and hd-dvd setups that do not allow for this type of playback. ?

The ad makes me believe I can take a standard avchd file and make a 30 minute hi def move on a dvd-r and play it back on a blu ray player... likewise for the hd-dvd portion if I burn that way.....

But the final results do not yield what I would expect..... can someone explain to me this BDMV stuff and why its used if it cant playback on a PS3 ?

Can Toast make a BDAV disc that the PS3 will accept and have no menu's ? Please someone at Roxio explain how to do this and have successful playback on a PS3 blu ray.

Also on the hd-dvd side , why can a make a disc that works great on the Toshiba stand alone player but fail on a xbox 360 hd drive ?

I just would like Roxio to clarify how this all works limitations and all .....

8 answers to this question

I purchased Toast 9 and the HD plug-in two nights ago and am having a similar problem to those described on this thread.

I am burning an HD-DVD formatted disc with AVCHD content onto a DVD-R and it is not playing in my Xbox360 HD-DVD drive.

The Xbox360 recognises the disc as an HD-DVD and when I play it, it brings up the menu and allows me to navigate around the menu. But when I select a video to play, it just freezes.

I have tried both a DVD+R and a DVD-R... and I have tried creating a disc that auto plays upon load. The disc that auto-plays just goes to a black screen as described here.

I have not tried the the "no menu" option yet, but will try that next.

I only purchased Toast and the plugin because it was going to give me a way to view my AVCHD content without buying a PS3. If I can not get this to work, I will be asking for a refund.

I do live in Australia and have shot my AVCHD video in 25p. But I don't believe that should have any impact on the HD-DVD player. It plays US HD-DVDs just fine.

Please let me know if you have been able to use Toast 9 + HD plugin to burn AVCHD video to a DVD-R that is playable on an Xbox360 HD-DVD drive.

Regards,

jollyred

Thanks for the reply.

As for the HD-DVD and xbox 360 , I simply cannot get avchd files to work. I can make a dvd-r with a 10 minute clip that will work on my Toashiba HDDVD player but both my xbox 360's (2 of them) will not play the disc... it just goes to a black screen and stays there. I have the 12/07 hddvd update on both drives..... Did you guys test avchd video ? I have tried using Verbatim and TDK media and both behave the same way.

So to sum up any avchd video I create on dvd-r either for Blu Ray or HD DVD will not play on a console. The PS3 sees its disc as a data disc , which you guys say is a bug that will be fixed and the other disc for hddvd works on a stand alone Toshiba a30 but fails on 2 Xbox 360's on two HDDVD drives on two different media (TDK , Verbatim ) .

Seriously guys tell me its not just me .....

Has anyone out there made a avchd dvd-r disc that has played on your 360's hd drive ? I am at a loss ....

Thanks for the reply.

As for the HD-DVD and xbox 360 , I simply cannot get avchd files to work. I can make a dvd-r with a 10 minute clip that will work on my Toashiba HDDVD player but both my xbox 360's (2 of them) will not play the disc... it just goes to a black screen and stays there. I have the 12/07 hddvd update on both drives..... Did you guys test avchd video ? I have tried using Verbatim and TDK media and both behave the same way.

So to sum up any avchd video I create on dvd-r either for Blu Ray or HD DVD will not play on a console. The PS3 sees its disc as a data disc , which you guys say is a bug that will be fixed and the other disc for hddvd works on a stand alone Toshiba a30 but fails on 2 Xbox 360's on two HDDVD drives on two different media (TDK , Verbatim ) .

Seriously guys tell me its not just me .....

Has anyone out there made a avchd dvd-r disc that has played on your 360's hd drive ? I am at a loss ....

Can you try creating the HD DVD on DVD using the No Menu selection?

Well I have offered to send you the disc and any source files ... I have even posted a vid on youtube that shows the exact problem and yet utter silence on Roxio's side... seriously it really really does not work .... are you really telling me it works and it must be just me ?

The disc I made has no menu just a 10 minute video of Fireworks from disney world. Source is a .mts file made on a Sony CX-7 avchd camcorder. Toast 9 sees it , plays it makes the disc , all seems well.... just does not play on an xbox hd-drive. If I stick the disc in the xbox's main drive it calls it a ' mixed media ' disc but makes no attempt to play it.

I'll mail it to you if you want to in house test. The disc will play fine on my toshiba so I know it works... just the xbox's hate it... I just get a black screen and cannot do anything but eject to talk to my xbox....

I put up a YouTube video showing the process from creation to playback to xbox blackout , please take a look , maybe it will give some insight to the problem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJakmH0ymUk

I also put up another video showing how slick the convert section with avchd :

It's not just you bro, I'm having the exact same issue. It's frustrating. I only have one high-def player in my house and that's my xbox HD DVD drive, so if it doesn't work, I'm out of luck.

Hope Roxio gets this resolved.

(I'm shooting with my Sony HDR-HC3, taking the imported quicktimes and dropping them straight into Toast, then it converts them for the dvd).

>>Please explain in detail to me how to make this work and have my PS3 recognize the dvd-r as a playable hi def movie.

>>I have been hearing about BDMV but do not understand what that has to do with the ad's claim to playback on a blu ray player

>>... is the PS3 not considered a blu ray player ? The discs are only seen as ' data ' discs.

It's more about the PlayStation 3 not considering the BDMV content on DVD a valid video disc than it is about us not considering the PS3 a Blu-ray player, which would be silly since the PS3 is the most popular Blu-ray player on the market.

This oddly enough reminds me of the early DVD authoring days, trying different drives and discs, burning at different speeds and such.

That said, this is a bug and it will be corrected shortly.

>> On the HD-DVD side of things a dvd-r that I make works great on my Toshiba hd-a30 but fails on my xbox 360 hd-dvd drive - why would this be ?

All of our initial testing for HD DVD5 / HD DVD9 was done on the XBox 360 HD DVD player before we expanded to other models - which had the added benefit of letting me quickly take a break and enjoy some Guitar Hero 3. :) You may want to try a different brand of disc if you have one handy.

>> The ad makes me believe I can take a standard avchd file and make a 30 minute hi def move on a dvd-r and play it back on a blu ray player... likewise for the >> hd-dvd portion if I burn that way.....

Thats the idea, but much like DVD authoring there are a number of variables.

>>But the final results do not yield what I would expect..... can someone explain to me this BDMV

>>stuff and why its used if it cant playback on a PS3 ?

There are a number of different Blu-ray formats including BDAV, BDMV, AVCHD, AVCREC, etc, etc. The fact that you're not able to burn to a BD disc and have it playback on the PS3 is a bug which will be resolved as quickly as possible.

Archived