• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Title Won't Play On Burned Dvd

muskadillo

Question

I used DVD Builder to burn a DVD with 5 menus and 12 titles. It all looked great in the preview, but when I played the DVD back, if I try to play one of the titles, it...er, crashes, sort of. The DVD player just stops, and when you press play again, it does play, but it plays a title from an entirely different menu!

Also, three of the other titles have a problem where they skip--the picture & music just stop and resume a few frames later.

Anyone have any suggestions for me, please?

14 answers to this question

o·pin·ion

1.A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof:

2.A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert:

3.A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing:

4.The prevailing view:

cdanteek :huh::D:D

I'd go for 2. :)

Thank you for all the info!

This is what I was able to find out. My burner is:

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B

What a lovely name, huh? I also found out that there have been no updates to the firmware of this burner--there were none on the emachines website and I emailed a tech guy there and asked just to make sure--no, no updates to the firmware, and have I tried burning a DVD using a program other than Roxio?

That's what I tried next. I burned the ISO to DVD using Nero, and guess what? The DVD is beautiful. No skips, no messed up titles, not a thing. So perhaps my burner isn't the thing at fault. However, the DVD still won't play in my computer unless I use Roxio's player. To me, that seems a little fishy. And there isn't any problem with the titles themselves--they all play. The problem is with the menu. Whatever.

At least I have a way to get my DVDs burned, even if I have no idea why I can't do it with Roxio. I think that next time I buy some DVD menu authoring software, I'll spend a lot more and get a program that works.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone.

I just tested this out--it has problems playing on my computer. And not even the same problems. The first menu and accompanying titles are fine, but go to the next menu and whatever player I'm using freezes. No error message at all, it just freezes and I have to force it to close.

I went ahead and burned an ISO to disk--is there any way to preview the ISO (to see if it is corrupted) before I burn it to disk again?

I just tested this out--it has problems playing on my computer. And not even the same problems. The first menu and accompanying titles are fine, but go to the next menu and whatever player I'm using freezes. No error message at all, it just freezes and I have to force it to close.

I went ahead and burned an ISO to disk--is there any way to preview the ISO (to see if it is corrupted) before I burn it to disk again?

Yes there is. In Disc Copier, after you select Disc Image or DVD Folder, and you have browsed and selected the ISO file, click on the play arrow in lower right corner of the icon of your video.

Thank you for all the info!

This is what I was able to find out. My burner is:

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B

What a lovely name, huh? I also found out that there have been no updates to the firmware of this burner--there were none on the emachines website and I emailed a tech guy there and asked just to make sure--no, no updates to the firmware, and have I tried burning a DVD using a program other than Roxio?

That's what I tried next. I burned the ISO to DVD using Nero, and guess what? The DVD is beautiful. No skips, no messed up titles, not a thing. So perhaps my burner isn't the thing at fault. However, the DVD still won't play in my computer unless I use Roxio's player. To me, that seems a little fishy. And there isn't any problem with the titles themselves--they all play. The problem is with the menu. Whatever.

At least I have a way to get my DVDs burned, even if I have no idea why I can't do it with Roxio. I think that next time I buy some DVD menu authoring software, I'll spend a lot more and get a program that works.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone.

You are welcome, but the Roxio software is much better than the Nero software, and I have both. That DVD burner that you have is not a good burner, so that is the problem with it working with Roxio. When you see there has not been an updated firmware, it is time to open the box, pull the burner out, open the window, toss the burner out, go to Best Buy, or your favorite store, and buy a Plextor, Benq, or Pioneer burner, and install it. Compatibility with Roxio is all but guaranteed.

Thanks, grandpabruce! I feel silly, because I just found it elsewhere on the forum, too:

Here is how you do that: In disc copier, go Select DVD-VIDEO OPTIONS and the various titles will show up. You will see a little arrow in the lower righthand corner. You can click on the arrow and a preview will come up. You can use the slider arrow to go through the title and see how it looks.

NORM

Anyway, I went and previewed all the titles in the ISO, and they look beautiful--no skips, not a thing.

So, this is strictly a DVD burning problem? I used a Maxell DVD+R (and I didn't even know there is a difference between those and a DVD-R until 15 minutes ago...) if that helps to figure this out. Also, I've read elsewhere on the forum that selecting a slower burn speed helps, but DVD Copier seems to only give me one option--60x. That can't be right.

Thanks, grandpabruce! I feel silly, because I just found it elsewhere on the forum, too:

Anyway, I went and previewed all the titles in the ISO, and they look beautiful--no skips, not a thing.

So, this is strictly a DVD burning problem? I used a Maxell DVD+R (and I didn't even know there is a difference between those and a DVD-R until 15 minutes ago...) if that helps to figure this out. Also, I've read elsewhere on the forum that selecting a slower burn speed helps, but DVD Copier seems to only give me one option--60x. That can't be right.

You are correct. That 60x is not right. You have issues with your DVD burner and need to update the firmware. What brand and model DVD burner do you have?

Guest mlpasley

Glad you got it to burn. I use Nero with one of my burners and it seems to give a better burn. On the other computer, I use Roxio. I'm for whatever works.

You should be able to play that DVD with other DVD playing software. I can play mine with Cyberlink's Power DVD. If you're trying to use Windows Media Player, that won't work.

That skipping you get might be the DVD player itself. I had a friend who had one DVD player that did that and he thought it was because the player didn't have enough internal memory. His other player had no problem playing the entire DVD. Or something might have gone wrong in the menu creation process.

Guest mlpasley

Check the eMachines website first to see if they have any updates for that burner.

If that's no help go to Start\ My Computer and right click on the dvd drive, select Properties\ Hardware and you should see the make and model listed as a DVD drive.

On the outside of my computer it says "DVD+/-RW 16x double layer drive" but I don't know where to find the info for the brand and model name. (The brand of the computer is Emachines, if that helps.) And I don't know what firmware means, either.

FYI

Go to this site ( http://www.download.com/3000-2094_4-10007277.html ) and download the program. This program (Belarc Advisor) gives you a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware.

When ever you comes across a term mentioned on here and you dont know what it means just go in to Google.com and type it in. In your case you said you dont know what firmware is. Here's just one example

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/definition.php?firmware

If it does play fine on your computer (I'm betting it does) your DVD player may not like the brand of disc so you can experiment with different brands. I have finicky one like that. Doesn't like Memorex or Ritek at all but like Verbatim and Imation.

I burn to an ISO instead of direct to disc and don't seem to have many problems doing it that way.

but the Roxio software is much better than the Nero software, and I have both :) .

o·pin·ion

1.A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof:

2.A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert:

3.A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing:

4.The prevailing view:

cdanteek :huh::D:D

Archived