Increase Audio In An Mpeg 2 File

johnnytowers

Question

Hello everyone, this is my first time ever using a forum so i'll do my best to explain my problem.

In EMC 9 i captured 3 dv's each 45 minutes long, using the "video import" option / conexant falcon II ntsc video capture.

i then had to combined the mpegs to fit on 1 dvd (keeping the file an mpeg). the original tapes already had low audio and the conversion from dv's to a combined mpeg went well when comparing the mpeg to the original, but how do i higher the level of audio since the original contained low audio to begin with?

i've tried different compression options in the "video edit", but i'm unable increase the audio level without having an .avi file or a huge file size.

when trying the different options available, the "ac3" audio seemed to work well but for some reason it only worked for the 2 minute sample that i was using--when importing the full length mpeg and converting it using the "ac3" audio option it processes and gives me the same quality as i started with which is weird because as i said the 2 minute sample works fine by increasing the audio level, but the full version doesn't have increased audio levels.

is there a way to increase the audio levels so that when we have low quality audio imported in, we can then convert it into an mpeg and enhance the audio at the same time???

thank you in advance for your help, and sorry if i didn't expain myself properly.

johnnytowers

6 answers to this question

Hello everyone, this is my first time ever using a forum so i'll do my best to explain my problem.

In EMC 9 i captured 3 dv's each 45 minutes long, using the "video import" option / conexant falcon II ntsc video capture.

i then had to combined the mpegs to fit on 1 dvd (keeping the file an mpeg). the original tapes already had low audio and the conversion from dv's to a combined mpeg went well when comparing the mpeg to the original, but how do i higher the level of audio since the original contained low audio to begin with?

i've tried different compression options in the "video edit", but i'm unable increase the audio level without having an .avi file or a huge file size.

when trying the different options available, the "ac3" audio seemed to work well but for some reason it only worked for the 2 minute sample that i was using--when importing the full length mpeg and converting it using the "ac3" audio option it processes and gives me the same quality as i started with which is weird because as i said the 2 minute sample works fine by increasing the audio level, but the full version doesn't have increased audio levels.

is there a way to increase the audio levels so that when we have low quality audio imported in, we can then convert it into an mpeg and enhance the audio at the same time???

thank you in advance for your help, and sorry if i didn't expain myself properly.

johnnytowers

Do your productions in VideoWave. Once you bring your video in, click on Timeline, then in Timeline, right click on your video, click on Edit, and select Native Audio. You will see an Overall Volume slider. Slide it to the right, or click on the + signe to move it. Your audio level will be increased.

BTW, the rule of thumb is, you will get 1 hour of video on a standard 4.7GB DVD, at best quality. Anything more than that, you will have quality loss. You can go up to about 1-1/2 hours, and you may not notice it too much, but there will be quality loss.

Do your productions in VideoWave. Once you bring your video in, click on Timeline, then in Timeline, right click on your video, click on Edit, and select Native Audio. You will see an Overall Volume slider. Slide it to the right, or click on the + signe to move it. Your audio level will be increased.

BTW, the rule of thumb is, you will get 1 hour of video on a standard 4.7GB DVD, at best quality. Anything more than that, you will have quality loss. You can go up to about 1-1/2 hours, and you may not notice it too much, but there will be quality loss.

Thank you for taking time to help me out, i noticed from other q&a's that you're very knowledgeable and i appreciate your time. i will give that a try over the weekend,

respectfully,

johnnytowers

that worked great, i've been in that part of the program before i guess i just totally forgot about it! now that i have my audio level higher...how do i remove static noise? the clean audio feature only seems to do a small portion at a time in video wave... i know with the "audio capture" feature you get an audio clean up across the entire file, is there a way to clean up the audio part of an mpeg from start to finish?

thanks again for your help,

johnnytowers.

that worked great, i've been in that part of the program before i guess i just totally forgot about it! now that i have my audio level higher...how do i remove static noise? the clean audio feature only seems to do a small portion at a time in video wave... i know with the "audio capture" feature you get an audio clean up across the entire file, is there a way to clean up the audio part of an mpeg from start to finish?

thanks again for your help,

johnnytowers.

You could try extracting the audio, taking it into Sound Editor, and see if you can get the static out. Then export it to an .mp3 or .wav file, and take that back into VideoWave, then mute the Native Audio. It isn't that hard, it may not be much better than what is there already.

You could try extracting the audio, taking it into Sound Editor, and see if you can get the static out. Then export it to an .mp3 or .wav file, and take that back into VideoWave, then mute the Native Audio. It isn't that hard, it may not be much better than what is there already.

sounds like a plan, i'm not afraid to try that out--thanks again pretty soon i'll be "the video/audio man" here at our office thanks to your help!

Archived