Easy Media Creator Products

Ijar

Misprint

Just trying to point out a misprint in:

==

Program Errors/Crashes/Hangs

Discussion including errors, crashes, or hangs that occur at any time other then while burning

Should it not read:

other than while burning

I might be wrong..

:(

Just trying to point out a misprint in:

==

Program Errors/Crashes/Hangs

Discussion including errors, crashes, or hangs that occur at any time other then while burning

Should it not read:

other than while burning

I might be wrong..

Not wrong. Anal retentive, perhaps. Tell Roxio. None of us can fix the error. But then, you knew that already.

Not wrong. Anal retentive, perhaps. Tell Roxio. None of us can fix the error. But then, you knew that already.

That's not nice :angry: gpa..why you got problems :)

I know None of us can fix the error..

Tried Roxio but no reply...

:ninja:

It is common in Northern American English for people to use the words than and then interchangeably. The meaning is contextually clear, as you yourself have shown.

When you're posting messages in an international setting you should be careful of pointing at others' cultural differences and calling them 'errors', wouldn't you agree?

It is common in Northern American English for people to use the words than and then interchangeably. The meaning is contextually clear, as you yourself have shown.

When you're posting messages in an international setting you should be careful of pointing at others' cultural differences and calling them 'errors', wouldn't you agree?

I did not - "pointing at others' cultural differences and calling them 'errors'...

I said it could have been a misprint

So sorry...goodness gracious... :angry:

smileyguinness.gif

It is common in Northern American English for people to use the words than and then interchangeably.
Not in my North American English lexicon. But then, North American English has morphed into something unrecognizable and I'm just an old 'by the book' fuddy duddy. ;)

Not in my North American English lexicon. But then, North American English has morphed into something unrecognizable and I'm just an old 'by the book' fuddy duddy. ;)

smileycheersa.gif

smileycheersa.gif

Me too. I really don't like "me too" posts, but I agree with you on the morphing of the language. I visit other forums, and I see idiotic text speak, mostly from young folks. It may be okay for some gaming forums, but I suspect, that the folks using text speak, don't really know the proper spelling and use of the "real" words.

The first two people I consistently saw using then instead of than were Roxio people, so I guess the influence could have flowed down from Toronto [in the forgotten part of North America :lol: ] however I have since seen it used quite frequently by people in the USA.

I don't generally mind what people in other places do with their language, but I would like to put out a contract on the person who turned "congratulations" into 'congradulations'. :lol::lol: That one grates!

Regards,

Brendon

The then/than problem may flow from Toronto, but thank goodness I live in Niagara Falls. :lol:

For years now, grammar in general seems to have been going the way of the Dodo. I myself probably break a rule or two or three now and again.

Personally, my biggest peeve is when someone interchanges "effect" and "affect". :angry: Grrrrrrrr!

One I homonym particularly dislike is the use of 'Forward' instead of 'Foreword' that occurs in some US published books and, very regrettably, also in the occasional UK book.

'Forward' and 'Foreword' are not homonyms...but homophones

but it's the grammar that most schoolkids these days are not using properly..

I have seen many workbooks...marked by teachers

where gramatically words are misspelt....

and no mention of wrong spelling.

where gramatically words are misspelt....

Ijar,

Did you mean "misspelled" ?? :blink: Given that the other word you used should properly be spelled "grammatically" :lol: :lol:

You need to know that spelling is quite a separate issue from grammar. Grammar deals with syntax, semantics, and morphology - not spelling - so you can't have words 'grammatically misspelled'. [Oh My!]

Shall we quit this now before I fall off my chair and roll around on the floor?

Brendon

[and remember - you started it!] :)

Ijar,

Did you mean "misspelled" ?? :blink: Given that the other word you used should properly be spelled "grammatically" :lol: :lol:

You need to know that spelling is quite a separate issue from grammar. Grammar deals with syntax, semantics, and morphology - not spelling - so you can't have words 'grammatically misspelled'. [Oh My!]

Shall we quit this now before I fall off my chair and roll around on the floor?

Brendon

[and remember - you started it!] :)

I know I started it and

I stand corrected...but if you check the dictionary, it is misspelt as well as misspelled

and before you fall off your chair... :P

and by the way I was on about spelling and grammar.. :D

:)

smileythumbup.gifcall it quits!!! :ninja:

Archived