Slow Encodng Speed

frito

Question

I have been working on a large project for ~1 year. I have been using Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE (Dell distribution). After burning ~100 DVDs I started having problems with the software working. So I spent almost a month seeking help from Dell then Roxio tech support. After spending a week talking to Roxio support (via chat) they requested that I submit a help ticket. Things really went down hill from there! I have not received any reply in a week. So, as a last resort, in order to finish my project, I decided to upgrade to Easy Media Creator 10. I installed it and was happy that everything appeared to work. But when I tried to burn 3 MPEGs (~1.4GB each) to a DVD, using either MyDVD or MyDVD Express, it took 10 minutes to encode the first 1% of the set. When using Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE I could compete this encode/burn process in ~20 minutes give or take 1 minute. By my current calculations Creator 10 will take 16 hours and 40 minutes if it runs to completion.

I am hoping that I did not waste my money on this software. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dell XPS410

Windows XP MCE 2002

Intel Core2 CPU6600 @ 2.4GHz

2GB RAM

Sony CDRWDVD CRX310S

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A

All Software and Hardware updates applied

12 answers to this question

I have been working on a large project for ~1 year. I have been using Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE (Dell distribution). After burning ~100 DVDs I started having problems with the software working. So I spent almost a month seeking help from Dell then Roxio tech support. After spending a week talking to Roxio support (via chat) they requested that I submit a help ticket. Things really went down hill from there! I have not received any reply in a week. So, as a last resort, in order to finish my project, I decided to upgrade to Easy Media Creator 10. I installed it and was happy that everything appeared to work. But when I tried to burn 3 MPEGs (~1.4GB each) to a DVD, using either MyDVD or MyDVD Express, it took 10 minutes to encode the first 1% of the set. When using Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE I could compete this encode/burn process in ~20 minutes give or take 1 minute. By my current calculations Creator 10 will take 16 hours and 40 minutes if it runs to completion.

I am hoping that I did not waste my money on this software. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dell XPS410

Windows XP MCE 2002

Intel Core2 CPU6600 @ 2.4GHz

2GB RAM

Sony CDRWDVD CRX310S

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A

All Software and Hardware updates applied

Have you all of the usual things such as check for spy&malware, virus, etc? Have you defragged your drives and cleared out all temp and proxy files? How much free space do you have on your hard drive(s)? How long in time are those mpegs? File size is not important when creating DVDs.

I also had slow encoding speeds. I have a quad core computer with a nvidia 8600gt (256mb) video card. I also changed the encoding from hardware to software and drastically increased the speed.

The project with hardware encoding was going to take 8-10 hours to finish. Switched to software encoding and same project took about 45 minutes. Not sure if this works on all computers, but definitely helped on mine.

Jack the Ripper

I also had slow encoding speeds. I have a quad core computer with a nvidia 8600gt (256mb) video card. I also changed the encoding from hardware to software and drastically increased the speed.

The project with hardware encoding was going to take 8-10 hours to finish. Switched to software encoding and same project took about 45 minutes. Not sure if this works on all computers, but definitely helped on mine.

Jack the Ripper

Good to hear that it worked. The Frito Bandito probably won't see your solution, because he/she hasn't been back since post time.

Well this is interesting. <_< I have had slow encoding speeds but I wasn't complaining because the finished project was great, but if I can cut the time by using software option, I'm game. I will try a project that would normally take hours (based on my prior experience) and see if the time is reduced.

BTW:

I did the Tools>Options>Render Using, and, as noted above, the default was "hardware," but after it performed the available Graphics Test, it said the graphics card I had made "software" the more appropriate choice, and then the program automatically switched it to the software option. So it seems you guys are all on the ball....

Will keep you posted -- unlike the Bandito.

When using Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE I could compete this encode/burn process in ~20 minutes give or take 1 minute. By my current calculations Creator 10 will take 16 hours and 40 minutes if it runs to completion.

Sounds like your in PIO mode for your hard disks! Look at #3 in my signature.

cd

Well, switching to "Software" encoding for me was not as dramatic a time saver for me as for Jack. T.R., but it has cut it in half, which is a nice bonus.

Why is hardware an option and who should use it for encoding? I'm curious as to why its the default selection for the program.

Why is hardware an option and who should use it for encoding? I'm curious as to why its the default selection for the program.

I don't know why it's the default selection. You'd have to ask someone from Roxio.

As to who should use it for encoding.... if the graphics test shows that you can hardware encode, that theoretically is the best method and it allows you to use some transitions that are not available in the software encoding. However, I don't think there is a hard and fast rule and whatever method gives you the best result on your computer is obviously the method you should use.

There are too many different types of computer hardware configurations to say which will work best on any particular computer.

Jack the Ripper

Wow! This is very cool. :D Just goes to show ya that even someone with almost no knowledge (me) :blink: on the subject may have one small piece of understanding/experience that may have eluded some experts.

Here’s a little more of what I learned abound rendering time.

Shut down as many programs running in the background as you can find. Google desk top, virus, script and spy blockers, program auto updates, anything you can do without. Do not go online. The best time to burn is before you go to bed. Do a restart in the AM and turn what you want back on.

OK, now that I’ve been of some help (hopefully) can someone help me???? :(

Question: Why do some of the TV movies I have record on Window media center (DVR) on the same Satellite Channel (TCM), Render in MPEG when I edit/burn them and others do not?? :blink:

None are protected; all were made about the same era (1950’s) and recorded about the same time. I ask this because the rendering time of a MPEG movie is about 400% faster and are playable on even my older DVD players.

Is it just that Satellite TV broadcasts only some movies in the MPEG format? Or is there a way to get all movies to recorded in the MPEG format? Man that would save so much time.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Giorgio

Well, switching to "Software" encoding for me was not as dramatic a time saver for me as for Jack. T.R., but it has cut it in half, which is a nice bonus.

It is not a Default, and MyDVD will prompt you to run the Render Test the first time you open the program. (Actually, I think it runs the test automatically???)

If your Video Card "passes" the test, it sets Rendering for Hardware.

People use it because it is much faster than Software Render! – assumes that the card is really up to snuff…

People also use it because it opens up the 3D transitions which are not even shown when Software Render is selected.

That said, my Video Card "passes" the test but yields poor results if I use Hardware Render, so I don't use it. :lol:

It is not a Default, and MyDVD will prompt you to run the Render Test the first time you open the program. (Actually, I think it runs the test automatically???)

If your Video Card "passes" the test, it sets Rendering for Hardware.

People use it because it is much faster than Software Render! – assumes that the card is really up to snuff…

People also use it because it opens up the 3D transitions which are not even shown when Software Render is selected.

That said, my Video Card "passes" the test but yields poor results if I use Hardware Render, so I don't use it. :lol:

I guess I must have had the automatic test because I sure don't remember taking it, though that happened to me occasionally in school! :lol:

"much faster than Software Render! " THAT is surprising to me, but heh, I seem to be getting surprised everyday! :lol:

Now it makes sense to me as to why there is the option, but it looks like software will be my "default" from now on! :)

Question: Why do some of the TV movies I have record on Window media center (DVR) on the same Satellite Channel (TCM), Render in MPEG when I edit/burn them and others do not?? :blink:

If you're burning to a DVD, they are all rendered into mpeg2 because that is the DVD standard.

If you mean that some of the movies show mpeg as you're rendering and some do not, it depends on how those movies are originally recorded. If the movie is already mpeg2 (DVD compliant), the program will not rerender the movie. If it isn't in the right form, the program will rerender it for the DVD.

I'm here looking for help as well but I think I may be able to help. I had the same issue when I upgraded to EMC 10.

Fire up "MYDVD. On the top menu on the left, select tools. On the drop down menu select, options.

Select, render useing software and click OK.

When I used the "test" it defalted to render useing hardware. That took about 6 hours to encode about 10% of an 1 1/2 hour movie. When I changed it, it took about 2 hours to complete the same movie.

I hope this works for you.

Giorgio

Archived