Error Message #3

NoLaLady

Question

18 answers to this question

http://consumer.installshield.com/work_um.asp

http://consumer.installshield.com/about_us.asp

How Does the Update Manager Work?

Software vendors use the Update Service, a product created by InstallShield, to deliver updates to you. Software vendors can build the ability to send you product updates into the product or they may choose to send you a message that an update is available from their Web site. In either case, the Update Manager gives you control over what updates and messages you receive.

When an application you install uses the Update Service, the Update Manager may also installed. You can access the Update Manager through the Start menu by selecting Program Updates.

Program Updates

If the Update Manager is not installed, see the article How Do I Install the Update Manager? for instructions and downloads.

For more information, see:

About the Update Manager

Types of Updates

About the Update Service

Software updates are an essential part of software use. By regularly updating the software you use, you stay current with the most recent software version, bug fixes, feature enhancements, and critical information you need to run your software efficiently and safely.

Software vendors purchase the Update Service from InstallShield, as a tool to deliver updates to you.

cd

How Do I Install the Update Manager?

Does this work with Vista Home Premium

Thanks

Speaking of InstallShield updates - my computers are set to make a noise when a program opens. And something was opening every minute in the middle of the night. I traced it to InstallShield trying to access online updates. (My computers are set to NEVER dial out without someone being there to give permission.)

When I tried to change the setting to not update, I got the scary warning about how horrible that would be and backed off - twice. The third time, I unchecked both InstallShield and RecordNow 7 (the only items allegedly being updated), and it hasn't bothered me since.

Lynn

Speaking of InstallShield updates - my computers are set to make a noise when a program opens. And something was opening every minute in the middle of the night. I traced it to InstallShield trying to access online updates. (My computers are set to NEVER dial out without someone being there to give permission.)

When I tried to change the setting to not update, I got the scary warning about how horrible that would be and backed off - twice. The third time, I unchecked both InstallShield and RecordNow 7 (the only items allegedly being updated), and it hasn't bothered me since.

Lynn

I love this!! The very thought of hearing a computer chattering away in the middle of the night is too HAL 2025 for me - I will try to cope with getting rid of this thingie...prefer to visit the website to check out updates.

Does anyone have a actual fix for this problem? Let me be clear. My InstallShield program update program gives me an error message of -3. When I click OK on the error message box. I get the standard web page message the program cannot display the web page under the general tab. When I do to the update tab, I am given a list of the programs to be updated.

With the EMC 10 program, I would not be surprised if there were several updates and I am not good about returning to the website to check them out. Is there any way to get this program to work the way it should? I get the vague impression that there might be an IP problem or something of that nature. I have given the program full Allow in the Norton firewall, and I still get the message. I am running Vista Ultimate.

With the EMC 10 program, I would not be surprised if there were several updates and I am not good about returning to the website to check them out. Is there any way to get this program to work the way it should? I get the vague impression that there might be an IP problem or something of that nature. I have given the program full Allow in the Norton firewall, and I still get the message. I am running Vista Ultimate.

There are no updates for EMC 10 at this time. The only update was to fix a problem that you don't have since your program installed and everything is running correctly..... except for the error message.

You need to go into your Install Shield program and take the Roxio program off the list of programs to automatically update if you don't want the error message.

I periodically get an upgrade program owned by Roxio which trys to run and deosn't finish because of Error - #3. Can this be fixed?

Are you talking about either "Program Updates" or "Software Manager"? Those are Macrovision Products. What version of EMC 10 do you have? Also make sure that you are connected to the internet and that the program is not blocked by your firewall.

I looked on their site and they don't have a error code listing. Is there any other information given other than :Error #3?

I periodically get an upgrade program owned by Roxio which trys to run and deosn't finish because of Error - #3. Can this be fixed?

Have a read around click here.

I used the website removal tool. The update program icon is now gone in control panel.

When I boot up the pc this morning the same update program gave me the -3 error!

So much for 'Macrovision' removal tool....Thank Roxio they slipped into their EMC Product...

See if the op's fix will/can help you..

cd

It didn't come from Roxio…

Mine appeared on 2 PC's long after the Roxio programs (Red Box v9 & EMC 10) were installed.

It appeared after some macrovision carp about needing to be updated to work came up. I finally got it to shut up but have not found how to get it remove from my Control Panel.

It didn't come from Roxio…

Mine appeared on 2 PC's long after the Roxio programs (Red Box v9 & EMC 10) were installed.

It appeared after some macrovision carp about needing to be updated to work came up. I finally got it to shut up but have not found how to get it remove from my Control Panel.

Mine never appeared until a install of Version 8 or 9 and yes it did come from Roxio!

What other programs are listed in the crap program to update?

updatemanager.png

cd

It is an InstallShield product. Roxio does use InstallShield.

But here is my V9 install, you see anything in my Control Panel Called Program Updates???

post-39730-1206290639.jpg

The "Software Updates" are filled with PSP 9

But yes it does exist on my V8 & V10 PC's. I haven't installed anything on them in ages. I would guess if InstallShiled is involved, it will get added to the list.

But here is my V9 install, you see anything in my Control Panel Called Program Updates???

But yes it does exist on my V8 & V10 PC's. I haven't installed anything on them in ages. I would guess if InstallShiled is involved, it will get added to the list.

Well some say Program and some say Software! All I know is it's the same icon and the same crap Macrovision InstallShield whatever.'

programupdate.png

cd

Program Updates or Software Updates are the same thing I would think since they are both by MacroVision

Program Updates or Software Updates are the same thing I would think since they are both by MacroVision

http://consumer.installshield.com/work_um.asp

http://consumer.installshield.com/about_us.asp

How Does the Update Manager Work?

Software vendors use the Update Service, a product created by InstallShield, to deliver updates to you. Software vendors can build the ability to send you product updates into the product or they may choose to send you a message that an update is available from their Web site. In either case, the Update Manager gives you control over what updates and messages you receive.

When an application you install uses the Update Service, the Update Manager may also installed. You can access the Update Manager through the Start menu by selecting Program Updates.

Program Updates

If the Update Manager is not installed, see the article How Do I Install the Update Manager? for instructions and downloads.

For more information, see:

About the Update Manager

Types of Updates

About the Update Service

Software updates are an essential part of software use. By regularly updating the software you use, you stay current with the most recent software version, bug fixes, feature enhancements, and critical information you need to run your software efficiently and safely.

Software vendors purchase the Update Service from InstallShield, as a tool to deliver updates to you.

cd

Archived