• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Downloading From Mini Dvd

amhernan3

Question

Sorry if this has been covered but if it has, I couldn't find it in the 9 pages of posts. I am a NooB so sorry if this is a stupid question.

I am importing video from Mini-dvd's and I keep reading that the best format to import as dv-avi, but when I open Roxio Media Import, the only options I have are Div-X, MPEG, and WMV 9. I have imported a video as both Div-X and MPEG and they end up as different file sizes. Which one offers the best quality? I also read in a post that I could just copy the .VOB files over to my HD and be able to use them in MyDVD and VideoWave. I have tried this also and when I go to Add Video, it won't use the .VOB files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tony

8 answers to this question

I really appreciate all of the help. I did finalize the disk before I put it in the Cp. I can copy the .VOB files to my HD but EMC doesn't recognize them when I try to use them in MyDVD.

I still don't understand why someone would use Div-X, rather then MPEG. My DVD player plays both MPEG and Div-X. The files with Div-X seem to be smaller so I am assuming that would mean that I would be able to fit more onto a disk in Div-X format than MPEG. Would I lose a lot of quality? Is Div-X a better format for smaller files with better quality?

Also, if DV AVI is only available with a firewire connection, if I were able to, and I hooked up my camcorder up to the CP, would I get DV-AVI option and would the quality of the file be better then if I just got it straight off the disk. I thought I read that the quality of DV-AVI is better then MPEG and easier to edit.

Also, the MPEG that EMC uses to get the video from the disk, is that MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. All mine says is MPEG.

Thanks again.

I really appreciate all of the help. I did finalize the disk before I put it in the Cp. I can copy the .VOB files to my HD but EMC doesn't recognize them when I try to use them in MyDVD.

I still don't understand why someone would use Div-X, rather then MPEG. My DVD player plays both MPEG and Div-X. The files with Div-X seem to be smaller so I am assuming that would mean that I would be able to fit more onto a disk in Div-X format than MPEG. Would I lose a lot of quality? Is Div-X a better format for smaller files with better quality?

Also, if DV AVI is only available with a firewire connection, if I were able to, and I hooked up my camcorder up to the CP, would I get DV-AVI option and would the quality of the file be better then if I just got it straight off the disk. I thought I read that the quality of DV-AVI is better then MPEG and easier to edit.

Also, the MPEG that EMC uses to get the video from the disk, is that MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. All mine says is MPEG.

Thanks again.

DV-AVI is normally used in capturing from camcorder tape. If you have a miniDVD or Hard Disk camcorder then there is really not much point in capturing to avi since you cannot improve the quality from what is on the DVD or HD. DVD compliant video is mepg2. Since DV avi video is not as highly compressed as mpeg2 video it is "easier" to edit because less uncompression is required.

Have you tried changing the vob extension to mpg and see if Videowave or myDVD will load them?

Div-X Is Not mainstream and not internationally supported like the DVD Movie format.

Yes the files are smaller. Why? Do you think the you can get smaller files without sacrificing quality???

Do you think that the Movie studios "missed" Div-X when they decided that Blu-Ray or HD would be the next format they use?

Ever see a Div-X disc at Blockbuster?

An mpg file has all of its information inside the header of the file. mpeg2 is 720 X 480 (normally) whereas mpeg1 is 352 X 240. You need to use Google and seek this common info out.

IF the camcorder manufactures didn't ignore standards it would be easy…

Since you can capture using Media Import, then you have your only sure solution…

Just use MPEG and don't worry about it.

To speed things along, you might try copying the vob files and changing the extension from .vob to .mpg. You will find that this way may break up your movie and you will have to piece it together in VW.

I also read in a post that I could just copy the .VOB files over to my HD and be able to use them in MyDVD and VideoWave. I have tried this also and when I go to Add Video, it won't use the .VOB files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

List the camera make and model #.

What video mode setting are you recording to the disc, and are the disc's closed? What type of mini DVD are you using, DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW?

cd

List the camera make and model #.

What video mode setting are you recording to the disc, and are the disc's closed? What type of mini DVD are you using, DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW?

cd

I am using the Panasonic VDR-D250 camcorder. THe only files I can see with .VOB are the ones that I recorded in Video not in VR. The disks are Sony Handycam DVD-RW. The disks are finalized when I copy them to my harddrive.

Also, so do you only get the option for dv-avi when you are importing from an analog source or should I be getting the dv-avi option with my minidvd's. if MPEG is the better option between MPEG and Div-X, why would someone use Div-x.

Thanks for the help

You will not be able to import or use files recorded in VR mode from the vast majority of camcorders.

DV AVI recording is available from any "AVC Compliant DV Device". That mean about anything that connects to the PC with a Firewire.

Someone would use Div-X if they wanted to make a Div-X DVD to play on a player capable of Div-X format… (cd just bought one!)

I am using the Panasonic VDR-D250 camcorder. THe only files I can see with .VOB are the ones that I recorded in Video not in VR. The disks are Sony Handycam DVD-RW. The disks are finalized when I copy them to my harddrive.

Also, so do you only get the option for dv-avi when you are importing from an analog source or should I be getting the dv-avi option with my minidvd's. if MPEG is the better option between MPEG and Div-X, why would someone use Div-x.

Thanks for the help

Page 98 of your manual talks about formating a DVD-RW, did you do that? In the editing part of the manual it talks of deleting scenes, as far as I know that can't be done in video mode!

I have copied the ifo, bup, and vob files from a Sony DCR DVD505 mini DVD camera. They were DVD-R and closed before leaving the camera. No problem in EMC 9 and 10 as vob's and with the extension change to (.mpeg) worked in version 7.5 and 8...

Page 100,

To play back a DVD-RW (Video format) or a DVD-R on other devices e.g. a DVD player, finalize the

disc.

¬Connect this unit to the AC adaptor. (Finalization cannot be executed using a battery.)

¬Rotate the mode dial to select .

1 Press the MENU button, then select [ SETUP]

# [ FINALIZE] # [YES] and press the joystick.

≥When finalizing a DVD-RW (VR format), skip to step 3.

2 [When finalizing a DVD-RW (Video format) or DVD-R]

Select whether or not to create a top menu, then press the joystick.

3 When the confirmation message appears, select [YES], then press the

joystick.

≥When finalizing is complete, press the MENU button to exit the message screen.

≥ Do not finalize a disc recorded on this unit using any

other device.

≥ In the case of a double sided disc, finalize each

side.

≥ The top menu created when finalizing does not

appear on this unit. Play back the disc on a DVD

player.

Titles are displayed by recording date on the top

menu. However, when [PLAY MODE] is set to

[bY DATE] to view scenes by recording date, some

scenes recorded on the same date may be

separated. (l 78) These scenes will be displayed

as separate titles on the top menu.

≥ Depending on the condition of the disc, the time it

takes for finalizing will differ. It may take up to 15

minutes.

≥ If this unit becomes hot or is shaken strongly or

impacted while finalizing, the finalization will fail and

the disc may become unplayable on other devices.

≥ If the power supply stops while finalizing, the

finalization will fail and the disc may become

unplayable on other devices even if disc repair is

carried out.

Finalizing a disc

This is for enabling discs to be played on other devices.

∫ Finalizing video format discs

Be sure to finalize the disc on this unit, before using it on other devices.

DVD-RW (Video format): After finalizing, the disc becomes play-only. You can record on the

disc after un-finalizing (l 101) or formatting (l 98).

DVD-R: After finalizing, the disc becomes play-only and you can no longer record.

∫ Finalizing VR format discs

DVD-RAM: It is not necessary to finalize DVD-RAM.

DVD-RW (VR format): Finalizing a DVD-RW (VR format) increases its compatibility with other

products. DVD-RW (VR format) after finalization can be recorded and

edited in the same way as DVD-RW (VR format) before finalization.

cd

Archived