• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

OregonRebel

Does Sd2f Format Create A Perfect Image Of Audio Cds?

Question

Something I read on Wikipedia got me wondering. Wiki says that "The .ISO format is the most common format for software disk images, but does not support multi-track data or audio CDs." This would also mean that .dmg images do not support multi-track discs.

The SD2F specs say "For multi-track operations, we recommend that each track be recorded in a separate single mono Sound Designer II file using stereo Sound Designer II files as the mastering medium."

So, considering that, are SD2F images of audio CDs containing extra tracks like text or video identical to the originals? I'm glad I didn't save all my CDs to .dmg or .iso as originally planned.

I've spent a lot of time searching these forums and Google, and never did find an answer to this question.

This relates to part of Dmillian's topic in this thread Creating an image of an audio cd, but I decided to start a new thread so that someone searching for this information may find it easier to find. After this is answered, I'll post an answer in the other thread, if it hasn't already been answered there.

Thanks to tsantee in advance, since it's likely my fellow Eugenian will be answering this. B)

Edited by OregonRebel

7 answers to this question

So, considering that, are SD2F images of audio CDs containing extra tracks like text or video identical to the originals?

The .sd2f file will be an identical bit-for-bit copy of the audio CD portion of the disc. I don't know what happens when making a disc image of an enhanced or mixed mode audio CD that includes separate data or video content. I should try it some time.

If you copy your audio CDs over as a disc image with Toast you then can add that .sd2f image to the Audio files format in either the Audio or Convert window and it will expand to show all the tracks just as they are on the source audio CD.

One thing I've noticed in Toast 9 that I never tried in Toast 8 is that all the audio adjustment features including normalizing tracks are available in the convert window so you can apply those effects before exporting to other formats. I previously only used them when burning audio CDs.

So did you have snow at your place on Friday morning?

Thanks tsantee,

It sounds like Toast doesn't isn't any better at making copies of multi-track discs than Disk Utility.

Seems by now there would be an app that can make EXACT copies of audio discs, no matter how many tracks it has.

Toast is able to make copies of DVDs with all their many tracks, so why not CDs?:angry2:

It's not going to be a problem for the vast majority of my CDs, since they're older and don't have a text or multi-media track, but for my newer discs, I'm not willing to lose that part. It's great to have the text track when I'm playing a track in my car stereo and want to know the artist or song title.

So did you have snow at your place on Friday morning?

No snow here-we're low, near Mt. Pisgah.

It's not going to be a problem for the vast majority of my CDs, since they're older and don't have a text or multi-media track, but for my newer discs, I'm not willing to lose that part. It's great to have the text track when I'm playing a track in my car stereo and want to know the artist or song title.

Toast includes the CD Text in the .sd2f image file. You won't lose the track info if it is present on the disc. But I don't know what happens with audio CDs that include video such as an enhanced or mixed mode CD (see Toast Help for description of those kinds of CDs that mix an audio CD with other content).

So then to be clear, is there any advantage to using Toast to copy a disc, instead of Disk Utility?

All I want to do is duplicate my CDs. I don't want to add fades or alter them in any way. I assume Disk Utility also include the text track? I haven't actually used it for copying yet, so I don't know.

Does Toast do it better or faster or anything?

So then to be clear, is there any advantage to using Toast to copy a disc, instead of Disk Utility?

All I want to do is duplicate my CDs. I don't want to add fades or alter them in any way. I assume Disk Utility also include the text track? I haven't actually used it for copying yet, so I don't know.

Does Toast do it better or faster or anything?

I don't think Disk Utility can copy an audio CD. It is for data formats only. Use the Copy window in Toast and click the burn button to make a duplicate CD or the Disc Image button to make a .sd2f disc image file. When you want to copy the .sd2f file it will open in the Audio window and will be set identically to the source, although you could make changes if you want such as deleting that horrible track that seems to be included with most albums.

Now you tell me. :rolleyes:

I should have known that by now, but I haven't tried to copy any audio discs till now.

I just tried it, and Disk Utility did copy my CD, but only as a data disc, which is perfectly fine in most cases. Wouldn't work for gapless CDs though. But it did make an image file with all the AIFFs in it that I could use to burn a copy.

Learned something today. B)

I bring this question as this is the closer I got to my problem from the search I made.

I need to create a enhanced cd using an existing PMCD with CD-Text and ISRC codes.

The way I do this is creating a first session for the audio part and a second one (disc finalized) for the Custum hybrid Mac/PC data.

The thing is that Toast seems to not keep the CD-Text and ISRC data once the disc is finalized with the 2nd session.

I first tried creating an image (SD2F) and burned the first session with it. Just checked over the PC with CD-Text player software, all showed correct. I then burned the 2nd session (Custom Hybrid) and finalized. Checked again on the PC for CD-Text and doh!, nothing.

I then tried to make a direct copy of the audio cd and checking "Write Session". Same thing, no CD-Text.

It says SD2F creates perfect audio cd copy, but what's the problem with enhanced cd ?

Usually, we create audio first session on our mastering PC suite, and finalize on Mac wiht Custom Hybrid, so all works great that way. But for this one, I'm stucked with a PMCD only.

Thanks for your help!

Pierre