Difficulty Ejecting Source Cd After Copying

DerekShaw

Question

Have not used the copy CD (or DVD) facility before, but have now just made a copy of a non protected CD with a two drive system.

One drive (drive D:) is a CD ROM/DVD and the other (drive E:) is a CD/DVD RW.

'Copy Disc' correctly prompted me to load the source disc into D: and a blank disc into E: and then click on then click on the 'Copy Disc button'.

All proceeded correctly to completion and then I clicked on the Done button as I did not want to make further copies.

At this point I removed the copy from drive E: but was unable to remove the source disc from drive D: either with the drive eject button or from My Computer or Windows Explorer using the right mouse pop-up menus or from within Creator.

I had to restart my computer in order to be able to eject the source CD from drive D:

What could I have done wrong? As far as I can see I followed the correct procedure.

The copy has been made correctly and is a true finalized copy of the original.

Operating System is Windows XP Professional kept fully up-to-date.

Derek Shaw

10 answers to this question

Roxio has a comment and fix at

Using Windows XP : http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

Using Windows Vista : http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Make sure to disable Windows Defender before reinstalling (Vista users only).

Although as yet, i have not got it to run. Apparently the registry thinks the drive is still controlled by Roxia,

Roxio has a comment and fix at

Using Windows XP : http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

Using Windows Vista : http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Make sure to disable Windows Defender before reinstalling (Vista users only).

Although as yet, i have not got it to run. Apparently the registry thinks the drive is still controlled by Roxia,

While a good idea, this has nothing whatsoever to do with what the OP had posted…

Something is wrong with your drive.

First, I would delete the drive from the Hardware Manager and reboot. It will automatically be detected and reinstalled.

Then I would check for a firmware update from the manufacture.

I was very hesitant to try updating drivers and/or firmware for the drive because everything works except for the problem of ejecting the source disc after using Copy Disc. I do not need this very often so did not want to risk causing other problems.

I have now just installed 'Creator 10' purchased as an upgrade CD (leaving Version 9 on the computer).

At first it looked as if it had completely disabled my computer but I eventually got into it to see that it had set itself up as a default to Watch My Computer and ALL subfolders AND to do this on Start-up, which was why it took ages and ages and ages to boot up.

Once I had customised these settings to my requirements I tried using Copy Disc using this newer version of the program. There were NO problems, both discs could be ejected after the process: the target disc automatically on completion and the source disc from the menu.

So the fault which existed when using Version 9 no longer exists when using Version 10. Therefore I think I will not try to update the firmware now because there are no problems using the drive at present.

Derek Shaw.

First, I would delete the drive from the Hardware Manager and reboot. It will automatically be detected and reinstalled.

Then I would check for a firmware update from the manufacture.

I have a Dell Dimension 3100.

From Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager the DVD ROM drive with the problem is given as a

SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

From the Dell Support Centre there is no firmware update available for this specific drive.

When to you say I should 'delete the drive from the Hardware Manager and reboot' do you mean I should find the drive in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and UNINSTALL? There does not seem to be a 'delete' option.

When the computer restarts I presume it will 'Find new hardware'. Will I need the installation CD for the DVD ROM drive at this stage?

There is no other problem so far with this drive (other than playing a DVD recorded and finalized on a Toshiba DVD recorder - but the DVD RW drive has the same problem as well). It reads commercial DVDs whether Data or Video. It plays Audio CDs. It reads data CD ROMs and I can install programs from it. It is also possible to copy files to the hard drive and to copy (using Send to) files to a flash drive. For all of these the CD or DVD can be ejected normally afterwards. It is only when I made this first attempt (for me) to copy a (Data) CD that I encountered the problem.

I assume that Creator 9 does not use the packet writing component for copying CDs although the Drag to Disc component does. I have use Creator Classic for my previous use in burning CDs or DVDs but the drag to disc component is still installed. I am not sure if there is anything remaining from he OEM Sonic programs that came pre installed even if I think that I have uninstalled all of these. But if there is there has been no problem from this so far.

Derek Shaw

I assume that Creator 9 does not use the packet writing component for copying CDs although the Drag to Disc component does. I have use Creator Classic for my previous use in burning CDs or DVDs but the drag to disc component is still installed.

You assume right. :)

Most of us would suggest you don't use the packet-writing component unless you really, really want to, and are technically savvy enough to know all the pitfalls and how to combat them. Creator is much more reliable, and it writes standard discs which can be read in any PC without you having to install special software.

When to you say I should 'delete the drive from the Hardware Manager and reboot' do you mean I should find the drive in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and UNINSTALL? There does not seem to be a 'delete' option.

Yes.

cd

Or some software has the drive locked. Do a three fingered salute, ctrl, alt, delete. Brings up the task manager, applications tab, does it show any software application that would use the drive not responding? Any packet writing software installed?

cd

Archived