• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Back To Toast 8

PWith

Question

I am sorry to say that I have reverted to Toast 8. In the week or so I have had Toast 9 it has crashed so many times that I have lost count. Approximately every 2nd DVD I have burned has failed. This version is definitely not ready for prime time (IMO). And support is virtually impossible to find. My contact information can be found below if somebody from support would care to contact me.

Peter With, San Francisco

pwith@mac.com - 866-404-1888

MacPro, 9GB, Leopard (with all the latest updates)

6 answers to this question

I've read through your other posts and can't determine how you may be using Toast so it's pretty tough to guess what may be causing crashes for you. I have not yet had a failed burn or a crash in Toast 9 but it may be because we're using it for different things. I've been around long enough to know that the initial release of any new Toast version is always buggy and that Roxio is usually pretty fast at releasing the first update.

What are you doing in Toast 9 that ends with it crashing that is working well for you in Toast 8?

Have you ever had Toast 8 crash after you have burned multiple discs with different content from EyeTV without shutting down and restarting Toast again? I can't get Toast to stop doing this with version 8 (any of the builds) and was looking through the Toast 9 forum to see if that was fixed. By the looks of things, it isn't even worth starting looking at this for a while yet, and certainly not with the current build. This is the main use of Toast for me (apart from a few MP3 CDs for the car and the odd back-up DVD) and it isn't great to have to restart Toast all the time. I have moved it to multiple Macs with different system software versions (Tiger and Leopard), different memory configurations and tried other fixes suggested by people, but after multiple burns (either direct to DVD or to an image file) it will crash Toast (normally on the second burn, sometimes on the third). More annoying is that when you can't see how much space will be used up until you have burned a copy to a file (due to the estimator being not very good) so either add in a file or take one out to try and fill up a DVD, if you don't save, quit and restart, it is likely to crash when you try to save your new version as a disc image.

Are you using EyeTV 2.x or 3.x? Is your EyeTV capturing the ATSC digital video or is it one of the EyeTV's that does MPEG encoding from analog TV? If ATSC is this standard definition or high definition? Are there multiple audio channels and, if so, have you tried clicking the Edit button and choosing just one audio channel? At what point does the crash occur? The more that Roxio learns what isn't working the more likely they'll be able to fix it.

I use EyeTV 3.

The crashes happen sporadically and are impossible to predict. They can happen during the multiplexing and/or writing process

Peter

I've read through your other posts and can't determine how you may be using Toast so it's pretty tough to guess what may be causing crashes for you. I have not yet had a failed burn or a crash in Toast 9 but it may be because we're using it for different things. I've been around long enough to know that the initial release of any new Toast version is always buggy and that Roxio is usually pretty fast at releasing the first update.

What are you doing in Toast 9 that ends with it crashing that is working well for you in Toast 8?

I record a lot of show using EyeTV and transfer these shows to DVD. I first had Toast 7 and upgraded to Toast 8 when it became available. In all the time of using Toast 8 I have had 1 bad burn and burn discs every day.

Toast 9 is a great disappointment so far.

Peter

I record a lot of show using EyeTV and transfer these shows to DVD. I first had Toast 7 and upgraded to Toast 8 when it became available. In all the time of using Toast 8 I have had 1 bad burn and burn discs every day.

Toast 9 is a great disappointment so far.

Peter

Are you using EyeTV 2.x or 3.x? Is your EyeTV capturing the ATSC digital video or is it one of the EyeTV's that does MPEG encoding from analog TV? If ATSC is this standard definition or high definition? Are there multiple audio channels and, if so, have you tried clicking the Edit button and choosing just one audio channel? At what point does the crash occur? The more that Roxio learns what isn't working the more likely they'll be able to fix it.

I am having a similar crashing issue with Toast 9. While burning a 9 disk set of dvds containing photo files, Toast 9 hung up on disk #8. The bummer is that I probably have to start all over again unless I can figure out where #8 starts. And, is there a way to avoid this happening again.

Dietrich Floeter

MAC 10.4 G5 2.0 dual 6gb ram 72gb free drive space

Archived