• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Error: Codec Mpeg-2 Must Be Activated?

Ida

Question

I have just had to re-install my MyDVD Studio Premier 9.0 (from original purchase disk) however, when I try to open the MyDVD 9 and also the VideoWave 9, I keep receiving an Error message that states:

"The following codec(s) must be activated before using the application:

MPEG-2

Click ok to activate or Cancel to abort."

Upon clicking OK...I receive another Error message thats states:

"No permission - Bad Installation. & only gives the option to Exit.

I have uninstalled the program twice now and re-installed, but still I get the same messages. What can I do to fix this?

11 answers to this question

I have just had to re-install my MyDVD Studio Premier 9.0 (from original purchase disk) however, when I try to open the MyDVD 9 and also the VideoWave 9, I keep receiving an Error message that states:

"The following codec(s) must be activated before using the application:

MPEG-2

Click ok to activate or Cancel to abort."

Upon clicking OK...I receive another Error message thats states:

"No permission - Bad Installation. & only gives the option to Exit.

I have uninstalled the program twice now and re-installed, but still I get the same messages. What can I do to fix this?

Follow the "clean install" instructions based on your operating system.

*** CLEAN INSTALL LINKS ****

XP: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

Vista: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

I want to confirm the above as absolutely necessary to get this working. And this is what I found experimenting with this failure.

Merely uninstalling EMC doesn't do it. ALL Roxio AND Sonic programs must be uninstalled. I never noticed that there was a Sonic MyDVD that was listed until I read the clean install instructions, and I suspect that may be where some might be going wrong. ALL listed directories must be deleted and ALL listed registry keys must be deleted. I even went so far as to download a program called "RegCleaner" and it found two more Roxio entries in the registry. Not sure if that's necessary, though. When reinstalling you MUST use the same email address as originally used when you registered the first time. If not, you will get a wrong registration key failure and you start over. After all of that I selected a simple module , such as Disk Copier, and when I tried to use it, it called for activation and went right on through. After that all worked like a champ.

It should be assumed that you will need to be connected to the internet. If not, you will get the elusive screen for off line activation with the even more elusive 25 orange numbers.

And Roxio would be realy nice if they allowed (or set their web site for) you to print the Clean Installation instructions. On first try all I got was two blank pages. I was fortunate to have Adobe Acrobat and was able to use it to print them.

A caveat on RegCleaner - run that with the program installed and working and it can kill off a couple of necessary registry entries leaving you with a time-expired 'trial' version. Norton OBC andf the McAfee equivalent do the same and you need to set it to ignore the relevant entries

Are you kidding? All this crap for a program I've already paid for? Never had this type of problem with 4.0,5.0,7.0,8.0 so what's different about 9.0? Especially since I've been using it successfully for over a year.

Those instructions sound like they come from a software engineer and not for helping a typical user....

That is really sad that it has come to this...

I think if you're running it after you have uninstalled the programs and have deleted all of the directories and regisry keys you could probably be sure that the program is no longer running.

You should block your e-mail from public view to prevent spammers....

You should block your e-mail from public view to prevent spammers....

You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, I have tried and could not change it. I get a password errror, but there is no password to enter and the one I did enter to get into the site was apparently correct as here I am, all logged in. When I clicked on contacting a Roxio rep I received a failure on that also. I hate to say it but, it sure does remove any confidence you might have for the software when the web site and contact don't work.

You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, I have tried and could not change it. I get a password errror, but there is no password to enter and the one I did enter to get into the site was apparently correct as here I am, all logged in. When I clicked on contacting a Roxio rep I received a failure on that also. I hate to say it but, it sure does remove any confidence you might have for the software when the web site and contact don't work.

Let's hope a board moderator is out there reading this and can effectuate some changes.....

Been there a number of times. Tried a number of different names. I did notice that I got a green box around some of them, with a check mark. Had to look fast as they went to an error screen real fast. Tried logging in a number of times. Even went so far as rebooting, just in case something was hiding in the background. This is what I get:

The error returned was:

Sorry, you have entered an incorrect password. Please try again.

Thanks

Archived