• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Shaky Playback At Times

Angus56

Question

Hi there,

I have a general question concerning slideshows produced in Videowave. I burned a slideshow with a total length of around 40 minutes and around 500 pics with music and whilst replaying it on a DVD-Player there were quite a number of pics - especially in the middle of the show - which sort of flickered, as if they were run on a jiggery turntable. The start and the end of the show are fine, but the middle bit diplayed these rhythmical flickering effects, not the whole pic and not moiree.

I don't understand what happened.

I read in my search for a possible solution something about software rendering, can anybody additionally enlighten me as to what this option actually means or point me to a thread which explains abouit this?

I use a SONY 42 inch LCD-TV for the show and until now was quite pleased with the results from Roxio - I've done about 15 slideshows so far starting in EMC 7.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the fast answer, however, I tried this last night and the result was:

a) much longer rendering time

B) still this rhythmic flickering in the middle

c) several lost panels - screen goes black in these places

I am mystified as I did not change anything in the setup. My internet connection at home is out-of-order at the moment so there could not have been some kind of background update messing with the settings.

The only difference to shows from the past was the fact that due to the length of the show I had to go down one step in quality settings, instead of HQ I had to go one down to Standard I believe.

Any ideas?

A standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of video at HQ quality. To get more you have to reduce quality which you did. Many of us have found that you get better quality if you "burn" to an image (iso) file (using HQ setting) instead of to a DVD directly. You then use DiscCopier to burn to the DVD. DiscCopier transcodes the iso file to fit on the DVD and the quality seems to be better then using the quality setting of myDVD to fit.

Do you also get the flickering when you play the DVD on you computer? How about during the preview in myDVD?

Are your video card drivers up-to-date? The "black" panels seem to indicate transitions that your graphis card cannot handle.

Thanks for the fast answer, however, I tried this last night and the result was:

a) much longer rendering time

B) still this rhythmic flickering in the middle

c) several lost panels - screen goes black in these places

I am mystified as I did not change anything in the setup. My internet connection at home is out-of-order at the moment so there could not have been some kind of background update messing with the settings.

The only difference to shows from the past was the fact that due to the length of the show I had to go down one step in quality settings, instead of HQ I had to go one down to Standard I believe.

Any ideas?

A standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of video at HQ quality. To get more you have to reduce quality which you did. Many of us have found that you get better quality if you "burn" to an image (iso) file (using HQ setting) instead of to a DVD directly. You then use DiscCopier to burn to the DVD. DiscCopier transcodes the iso file to fit on the DVD and the quality seems to be better then using the quality setting of myDVD to fit.

Do you also get the flickering when you play the DVD on you computer? How about during the preview in myDVD?

Are your video card drivers up-to-date? The "black" panels seem to indicate transitions that your graphis card cannot handle.

The preview seems to be fine, DVD shows the same on computer - drivers are updated. What I also don't quite get - the show is about 43 minutes but won't fit in HQ - even when I try to burn to ISO I get a message that too big for medium...

The preview seems to be fine, DVD shows the same on computer - drivers are updated. What I also don't quite get - the show is about 43 minutes but won't fit in HQ - even when I try to burn to ISO I get a message that too big for medium...

Then the project is corrupted, no way around it!

A 40 minute production will need about 2.8gb. Even if you added the pictures as data you have 1.4gb of free space!

As a test, recreate it and see what happens. Keep it simple, throw in the pictures, add one simple transition throughout and burn. – use an RW disc if you have one, so you erase it later.

Archived