• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Vobs Without Re-encoding

sharding

Question

I'm having a heck of a time burning a DVD from a VOB file in Toast 9. I have a VOB file that I created in VisualHub. It's about 6.2GB (to burn on a dual-layer disc). The specs as shown in Toast:

Video: MPEG-2, 720x480, 29.97 fps

Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1, 48000 Hz

I select "DVD-Video" in Toast and drag the VOB into the window. Under "encoding" I have "Custom" selected. Inside of the settings, under Encoding, I have "Reencoding" set to "never." I've selected no menus. Audio is set to Dolby Digital. Toast shows "6.24 GB on 1 disc" and "Space Remaining: 1.72 GB" at the bottom of the window.

Yet when I click the burn button, there is a lengthy "encoding" step, and then it tells me that there's not enough space on the disc because 8+ GB are required. WTF? Why is it insisting on re-encoding my very carefully-encoded VOB file? How do I get it to stop this?

Thanks.

1 answer to this question

My guess is Toast assumes you want this on a single-layer disc, so re-encoding would be required. Instead of clicking the burn button click the Disc Image button and save as disc image. That should work without re-encoding. Then choose the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your DL disc.

Archived