• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

trackfive

Blu-ray On Dvd On Ps3... Not Quite Working.

Question

I recorded some HD footage from my EyeTV 250 Plus. I then exported to Toast 9. I then selected "Blu-ray Video" as my disc format. My video showed up on the right hand side: MPEG-2, 1280 x 720, 59.94 fps with a Dolby Digital 5.1, 48000 Hz audio track. So I selected "No Menus" and "Auto-play disc on insert" and "Play all items continuously". Encoding was set to "Automatic" and the quality I set to "Best". So... I burn the files onto a blank regular old DVD disc and put it in my PS3 (with the new 2.20 firmware) and the disc shows up in the Videos section as "Data Disc" and once selected just lets me navigate the folders on the disc. Normally selecting the disc icon in the XMB will launch the disc. I was able to navigate to the streams folder (I believe that's what it was called) on the disc and play the video from there by selecting the actual MPEG-2 video clip and it played fine (though the encoding was kinda choppy and sluggish). So my question is... how do you burn a Blu-ray formatted disc onto a regular DVD like advertised by Roxio and have it play like a normal disc on a Blu-ray player (in my case, the PS3)?

I recorded some HD footage from my EyeTV 250 Plus. I then exported to Toast 9. I then selected "Blu-ray Video" as my disc format. My video showed up on the right hand side: MPEG-2, 1280 x 720, 59.94 fps with a Dolby Digital 5.1, 48000 Hz audio track. So I selected "No Menus" and "Auto-play disc on insert" and "Play all items continuously". Encoding was set to "Automatic" and the quality I set to "Best". So... I burn the files onto a blank regular old DVD disc and put it in my PS3 (with the new 2.20 firmware) and the disc shows up in the Videos section as "Data Disc" and once selected just lets me navigate the folders on the disc. Normally selecting the disc icon in the XMB will launch the disc. I was able to navigate to the streams folder (I believe that's what it was called) on the disc and play the video from there by selecting the actual MPEG-2 video clip and it played fine (though the encoding was kinda choppy and sluggish). So my question is... how do you burn a Blu-ray formatted disc onto a regular DVD like advertised by Roxio and have it play like a normal disc on a Blu-ray player (in my case, the PS3)?

Blu-ray on a DVD will not play on the PS3 and not on other Blu-ray Players... only BD/R or BD/RE...

Blu-ray on a DVD will not play on the PS3 and not on other Blu-ray Players... only BD/R or BD/RE...

If this is true (which seems to be after my tests) why is Roxio calling that out as a major feature of the HD/BD Plug-in?

Here's a direct quote and link to the page...

HD on DVD! You don't have a Blu-ray burner yet? No problem. With Toast 9 and the HD/BD plug-in you can burn high-def video content on standard DVD discs and play them back on Blu-ray or HD DVD players! This is an innovative way to get between up to 30 minutes of high-def content on affordable DVD media.

I have been playing around with this myself. Right now the PS3 does not recognize the Blu-ray on DVD media formatted discs the same way it recognizes normal Blu-ray discs. You have discovered the work around which is a little inconvenient, but rather easy too.

This is a playback limitation of the player. Toast writes Blu-ray data to the disc the same way regardless of media type, and we know that recorded Blu-ray (on Blu-ray media) discs work fine. I personally think that Sony will release a firmware update for the PS3 to address this issue in the future, but I dont have any insider information regarding any forthcoming updates.

If you would like, I can ensure you get a refund if you want to return the product. Just let me know.

I have been playing around with this myself. Right now the PS3 does not recognize the Blu-ray on DVD media formatted discs the same way it recognizes normal Blu-ray discs. You have discovered the work around which is a little inconvenient, but rather easy too.

This is a playback limitation of the player. Toast writes Blu-ray data to the disc the same way regardless of media type, and we know that recorded Blu-ray (on Blu-ray media) discs work fine. I personally think that Sony will release a firmware update for the PS3 to address this issue in the future, but I dont have any insider information regarding any forthcoming updates.

If you would like, I can ensure you get a refund if you want to return the product. Just let me know.

Well, I will be straight up honest, that was one of the main selling features that got me to upgrade... I still want the version 9 upgrade because I like to be up to date, but really, other than that feature, this update didn't do anything for me at all over what I had with version 8.

I can get BLU-Ray to work but only up to 2 min. of video. If I try for anything longer I get a error -50.

All Problems have been resolved with 9.02. Thank You for the very fast update!

Edited by dgr996

I recently sent this ticket:

Hi Roxio

I'm a big fan of your products as you can see by my registration page.

I upgraded to Toast 9 so that I could make blu-ray movie files from my imovie HD movie files (PAL). You advertise that these can be saved to regular DVD discs which also sounded impressive.

But I can't even convert hd .mov files or imovie HD files to blu-ray mpeg-4 or HD DVD Video. I am attempting to save them to disc images only to get error messages- something wrong with source file. I have read various threads from your discussions boards only to discover that no-one can do it- it has to be changed to mpeg-2. This does work (and it does read the source files perfectly), but mpeg-2 is not a true HD format (much more compression) and the video appears very blotchy, when played back on apples dvd player- the HD DVD version. I have the latest imac 2 ghz intel core 2 duo imac with Mac OSX 10.5.2.

I am disappointed by your advertising and I am wondering if you are fixing the problem. The only reason for my upgrade is for high definition movie conversion.

If Roxio cannot fix this issue, is it possible to get a refund? I bought the download version from the Roxio store.

I recently sent this ticket:

Hi Roxio

I'm a big fan of your products as you can see by my registration page.

I upgraded to Toast 9 so that I could make blu-ray movie files from my imovie HD movie files (PAL). You advertise that these can be saved to regular DVD discs which also sounded impressive.

But I can't even convert hd .mov files or imovie HD files to blu-ray mpeg-4 or HD DVD Video. I am attempting to save them to disc images only to get error messages- something wrong with source file. I have read various threads from your discussions boards only to discover that no-one can do it- it has to be changed to mpeg-2. This does work (and it does read the source files perfectly), but mpeg-2 is not a true HD format (much more compression) and the video appears very blotchy, when played back on apples dvd player- the HD DVD version. I have the latest imac 2 ghz intel core 2 duo imac with Mac OSX 10.5.2.

I am disappointed by your advertising and I am wondering if you are fixing the problem. The only reason for my upgrade is for high definition movie conversion.

If Roxio cannot fix this issue, is it possible to get a refund? I bought the download version from the Roxio store.

This is really disappointing. I understand there is an issue with the PS3 specifically, but Roxio should redo their advertising with an asterisk that states it doesn't work with the PS3... which lets face it, is probably the most popular Blu-ray player on the market right now. Other than this feature, there's not much new in 9, so buyer beware until it gets resolved.

I have another data point to add to the discussion...I too bought the software to make AVCHD discs on DVDs. I tried it using the described methods and it fails (as everyone has described). This was surprising to me because the software my camera came with (Sony SR1) was able to make AVCHD discs and they play fine both in my Blu-ray player (Panasonic BD-10) and on my mac with iMovie08 (iMovie recognizes the discs as a camera and then decodes the video). If I inserted the disc produced by Toast9 into my BD player, it says its unsupported. If I put this disc into my Mac, iMovie doesn't recognize it as a camera and it will not play the files.

As a test, I made a disc image from the working AVCHD disc (from Sony software) on my Mac. IMovie08 recognized this image as a camera and played the movies from it (not surprising). Now, if I replace one of the stream files (.m2ts) from this working image with a stream file from the Toast9 produced disc, iMovie08 and my BD player (when I burn this image to DVD of course) both recognize this as a AVCHD disk and play the newly inserted stream correctly.

It seems to me that it's not a problem in the stream file encoding, but something simply in the list/index files on the disc. The work disk (from Sony software) has many fewer files and shorter list files than the T9-produced disc. I looked at the binary data, and the headers are similar for most of the index/list files, but the T9 ones are just longer. Anyone have any other insight?

Naveen

This is really disappointing. I understand there is an issue with the PS3 specifically, but Roxio should redo their advertising with an asterisk that states it doesn't work with the PS3... which lets face it, is probably the most popular Blu-ray player on the market right now. Other than this feature, there's not much new in 9, so buyer beware until it gets resolved.

I have another data point to add to the discussion...I too bought the software to make AVCHD discs on DVDs. I tried it using the described methods and it fails (as everyone has described). This was surprising to me because the software my camera came with (Sony SR1) was able to make AVCHD discs and they play fine both in my Blu-ray player (Panasonic BD-10) and on my mac with iMovie08 (iMovie recognizes the discs as a camera and then decodes the video). If I inserted the disc produced by Toast9 into my BD player, it says its unsupported. If I put this disc into my Mac, iMovie doesn't recognize it as a camera and it will not play the files.

As a test, I made a disc image from the working AVCHD disc (from Sony software) on my Mac. IMovie08 recognized this image as a camera and played the movies from it (not surprising). Now, if I replace one of the stream files (.m2ts) from this working image with a stream file from the Toast9 produced disc, iMovie08 and my BD player (when I burn this image to DVD of course) both recognize this as a AVCHD disk and play the newly inserted stream correctly.

It seems to me that it's not a problem in the stream file encoding, but something simply in the list/index files on the disc. The work disk (from Sony software) has many fewer files and shorter list files than the T9-produced disc. I looked at the binary data, and the headers are similar for most of the index/list files, but the T9 ones are just longer. Anyone have any other insight?

Naveen

Unfortunately I do not know the technical side to Blu-ray- I am an end user that wants to make high definition disks in sony's latest disc format technology, which will PLAY IN ALL BLU-RAY PLAYERS. And I have to give Roxio its dues- it has come up with the only solution for apple users so far, even if the solution does not work yet.

I received a response to my ticket (previously posted in this thread). They ask me to update my Toast software- I responded by telling them that I only bought it and downloaded it yesterday! It is true- their support does suck.... I hope they fix the problem and release an update soon.

See my youtube video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7za1sLsaUg

The Roxio ad is just plain worded wrong but they still run it and email it out - I got this emailed to me today 3/28/08 and they know the PS3 will not [play BDMV files that Toast creates !

See my youtube video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7za1sLsaUg

The Roxio ad is just plain worded wrong but they still run it and email it out - I got this emailed to me today 3/28/08 and they know the PS3 will not [play BDMV files that Toast creates !

We're releasing a 9.0.2 updater tonight which resolves the bug relating to BD discs not playing back on the PS3.

We're releasing a 9.0.2 updater tonight which resolves the bug relating to BD discs not playing back on the PS3.

Rockage. I'll be testing it pronto. Thanks for the quick resolution... hopefully! :B

That's great news Patatrox.

Will the update fix all issues- recognising a variety of HD file types and burning them to mpeg-4 AVC, (instead of mpeg-2)- for blu-ray and HD DVD discs?

Inspired.

Edited by Inspired

That's great news Paratrox.

Will the update fix all issues- recognising a variety of HD file types and burning them to mpeg-4 AVC, (instead of mpeg-2)- for blu-ray and HD DVD discs?

Inspired.

Yes - it resolves a number of HD encoding issues reported since the launch.

Special thanks to Patatrox... he was super nice personally helping me through this Blu-ray on DVD issue. I'm happy to report that the 9.0.2 updater successfully writes a valid AVCHD disc playable on the PS3 (I'm running the latest PS3 firmware). Aside from running the 9.0.2 Toast, I was informed you need to select "DVD" as the disc format when creating the disk or disk image. I'm sure they'll update their literature to reflect that.

Thanks again Roxio Toast team!

Special thanks to Patatrox... he was super nice personally helping me through this Blu-ray on DVD issue. I'm happy to report that the 9.0.2 updater successfully writes a valid AVCHD disc playable on the PS3 (I'm running the latest PS3 firmware). Aside from running the 9.0.2 Toast, I was informed you need to select "DVD" as the disc format when creating the disk or disk image. I'm sure they'll update their literature to reflect that.

Thanks again Roxio Toast team!

Also very happy with the new update 9.0.2....YES YES YES I can make a blu-ray mpeg-4 AVC file- but I have nothing to test it on!!!!!!!!!!!

NO NO NO I cannot make a HD DVD mpeg-4 AVC file- it fails right at the end giving error-50.

Both tests were a .mov file 1440x1080 AIC, duration: 02:38. Although I did not select "DVD" as the disc format in both tests.

It is definately a huge improvement. I would like to know the best settings to create a blu-ray disc that plays clearly for the PS3- does yours play clearly and without blockiness trackfive? I did not select "DVD"- does it really make a difference, mine still made a disk image...

Can you get it to work as a HD DVD so that it can play on the apple DVD player?

Also very happy with the new update 9.0.2....YES YES YES I can make a blu-ray mpeg-4 AVC file- but I have nothing to test it on!!!!!!!!!!!

NO NO NO I cannot make a HD DVD mpeg-4 AVC file- it fails right at the end giving error-50.

Both tests were a .mov file 1440x1080 AIC, duration: 02:38. Although I did not select "DVD" as the disc format in both tests.

It is definately a huge improvement. I would like to know the best settings to create a blu-ray disc that plays clearly for the PS3- does yours play clearly and without blockiness trackfive? I did not select "DVD"- does it really make a difference, mine still made a disk image...

Can you get it to work as a HD DVD so that it can play on the apple DVD player?

Selecting DVD makes a different on BD very much so.

-p

Selecting DVD makes a different on BD very much so.

-p

You've been extremely helpful patatrox, and I will not be requiring a refund!!

I have tried to make another HD DVD in mpeg-4 AVC and it does not work- it is a shame because it is the only High Definition type that the apple DVD player accepts at the moment.

But to make Blu-ray movies is the main thing, and to play on PS3 makes this update worth it's weight in GOLD.

Well Done to the techo's at Roxio.

Edited by Inspired

I have tried to make another HD DVD in mpeg-4 AVC and it does not work- it is a shame because it is the only High Definition type that the apple DVD player accepts at the moment.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

We'll continue working away, I'll try to recreate the HD DVD issues tomorrow but I am going to relax for a few hours tonight :)

I can also say that it works on the Panasonic BD10! Thanks for the quick fix Roxio!

You've been extremely helpful patatrox, and I will not be requiring a refund!!

But to make Blu-ray movies is the main thing, and to play on PS3 makes this update worth it's weight in GOLD.

Well Done to the techo's at Roxio.

I'm trying to burn a BDMV folder structure made from Adobe Encore onto a DVD to play on a PS3 but I'm getting the "Data Disc" error. I'm running 9.0.2 which it sounds like people are having success with. What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to burn a BDMV folder structure made from Adobe Encore onto a DVD to play on a PS3 but I'm getting the "Data Disc" error. I'm running 9.0.2 which it sounds like people are having success with. What am I doing wrong?

There are many different specifications for Blu-ray video content including BDAV, BDMV, AVCHD, and AVCREC.

BDMV on DVD is not "legal" as far as the specification goes and will never play on the PlayStation 3. When you create a Blu-ray video on DVD using Toast, we author it in the AVCHD format. As far as I know Encore is not capable of authoring AVCHD.

I am at TV industry and many of our studios, post production facilities have PS3 with a ban on gaming because for current date, BluRay Player=PS3. It is basic as that.

Every studio checks PS3 compatibility first and the actual "decks" come later on test queue. If you say "Ordinary DVD having HD Content can run on BluRay Deck", you are automatically mentioning PS3. Nobody pays $1000 for a bluray deck while there is Ps3 with much more capabilities and software/games support.

There are many different specifications for Blu-ray video content including BDAV, BDMV, AVCHD, and AVCREC.

BDMV on DVD is not "legal" as far as the specification goes and will never play on the PlayStation 3. When you create a Blu-ray video on DVD using Toast, we author it in the AVCHD format. As far as I know Encore is not capable of authoring AVCHD.

If this is the case, could I take my blu-ray encoded files ( m4v, m2ts, etc ) and let Toast author the disc without having to re-encode? It's been my experience that Toast does a bad job encoding the files, with a lot of blockiness and stuttering even with good settings compared to the same settings in something like Premiere, Encore, or Compressor. Usually the audio and video streams are in separate files which would need to be muxed. Can Toast do this?