Emc 9.1 Installation Questions

WSmith

Question

I installed EMC 9.1 to register within Vista. A few issues / questions:

1. The uninstall / installation process was long (>45 minutes). Just a comment, but this was longer than expected.

2. I have all my apps installed on my E drive partition, nothing on C. EMC 9.1 uninstalled my E drive installation and installed 9.1 on my C drive without asking. To get back to E, I suppose I need to uninstall 9.1 and reinstall 9.0. How can I then install 9.1 to my E drive?

3. With 9.0, I had the Home icon on my desktop which opened EMC 9.0 to the home list of all apps. With 9.1, that icon disappeared and its no where to be found with 9.1. Any idea where the Home icon may be located?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I'll do a defrag before I do any reinstalls.

When I installed 9.1, it did not ask where to install. It automatically deinstalled my E drive installation and then proceeded to install 9.1 on C. It all happened in one long process with no interuptions.

Hopefully the new install will fix the drive and icon issue. I'll report back.

Thanks

It's very easy to miss the custom install option but I wonder, are you using the retail version or did you download your copy? I seem to remember some posts using the downloaded version that claimed they couldn't choose the install directory.

Was this the 9.1 updater? The big bloated download which requires you to have 9.0 installed, then uninstalls 9.0 and installs 9.1 if you're lucky?

I just installed it on my V9.0 XP system, there may be some differences in your Vista. It gave me the usual 3 options for the install - full, typical, or custom. With Custom I got a choice of location, but with the other two you get the default location. I did a custom install, and then went through and ticked everything - I think that's the equivalent of a full install, only with your chosen location.

The whole thing took 23 minutes, but my system and drives are fairly fast.

A Home icon appeared on my desktop. It's a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\Roxio Central33\Main\Roxio_Central33.exe" if you have to make one, and it starts in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\Roxio Central33\Main.

Alternatively, if you go to Start > All Programs > Roxio Easy Media Creator 9, right-click on the Home icon, drag it out to your desktop, and select Copy Here when you let the mouse button go, you'll get a pre-maid shortcut called Home, which you can rename if you want.

Regards,

Brendon

I installed EMC 9.1 to register within Vista. A few issues / questions:

1. The uninstall / installation process was long (>45 minutes). Just a comment, but this was longer than expected.

2. I have all my apps installed on my E drive partition, nothing on C. EMC 9.1 uninstalled my E drive installation and installed 9.1 on my C drive without asking. To get back to E, I suppose I need to uninstall 9.1 and reinstall 9.0. How can I then install 9.1 to my E drive?

3. With 9.0, I had the Home icon on my desktop which opened EMC 9.0 to the home list of all apps. With 9.1, that icon disappeared and its no where to be found with 9.1. Any idea where the Home icon may be located?

Thanks

1. To me, 45 minutes does seem excessive. I've never timed it but I think a good hard drive defrag might be in order.

2. On all my systems running EMC I have it installed on a separate partition and while some files are naturally installed on the default (OS) drive. Are you sure you told it to install on the E drive? Yes, you will need to run the clean uninstall again before reinstalling to your E drive.

3. If there is no icon on your desktop, the program may not have installed properly. You can look in the Quick Launch Toolbar as well as in the Programs directory.

1. To me, 45 minutes does seem excessive. I've never timed it but I think a good hard drive defrag might be in order.

2. On all my systems running EMC I have it installed on a separate partition and while some files are naturally installed on the default (OS) drive. Are you sure you told it to install on the E drive? Yes, you will need to run the clean uninstall again before reinstalling to your E drive.

3. If there is no icon on your desktop, the program may not have installed properly. You can look in the Quick Launch Toolbar as well as in the Programs directory.

I'll do a defrag before I do any reinstalls.

When I installed 9.1, it did not ask where to install. It automatically deinstalled my E drive installation and then proceeded to install 9.1 on C. It all happened in one long process with no interuptions.

Hopefully the new install will fix the drive and icon issue. I'll report back.

Thanks

Archived