• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting .vro Files Via Toast 8 For Imovie

JPinnick

Question

In need of some serious help! I have a Hitachi DVD Camcorder (records on RAM and DVD-R). The camcorder is not compatible with iMovie, so I purchased Toast 8. The files are in .VRO format. I plug in the camcorder via USB and see the files on my desktop and in Finder. I have tried dragging the files, using the Media Browser in Toast, you name it. Every step I take gives me the following message - "Device Removal" and the camcorder disconnects. I emailed Roxio and they told me to rename the .VRO file to .MPG - well I did that and all of the clips on the disk were erased (I still see the thumbnails, but there are no movies and it says that the disk is full). So I guess I have two questions - Can Toast convert my .VRO files for use in iMovie and is there any way of getting the "erased" clips back? Please help!!

9 answers to this question

You're not out of luck. Buy an external tray-loading DVD drive. Those can load a mini-DVD disc and aren't very expensive.

Very cool - thank you very much! I purchased a sony external drive and I was able to move my dvd-r videos directly to imovie without Toast. I had to use Toast to move the dvd-ram videos. Final question (for now). When the folks at Roxio told me to rename my .vro files to .mpg I basically lost the videos. I can see the thumbnails but not play them. When I try to import via Toast, it says that the files are protected. Any ideas on how to unprotect?

Very cool - thank you very much! I purchased a sony external drive and I was able to move my dvd-r videos directly to imovie without Toast. I had to use Toast to move the dvd-ram videos. Final question (for now). When the folks at Roxio told me to rename my .vro files to .mpg I basically lost the videos. I can see the thumbnails but not play them. When I try to import via Toast, it says that the files are protected. Any ideas on how to unprotect?

So it doesn't work to change the extension back to .vro? They aren't protected, obviously. The only alternative I can think of is changing the extension back to the correct one and if Toast won't recognize it try opening it in MPEG Streamclip.

So it doesn't work to change the extension back to .vro? They aren't protected, obviously. The only alternative I can think of is changing the extension back to the correct one and if Toast won't recognize it try opening it in MPEG Streamclip.

There is no extension to change. The .vro and the .mpg are gone. When I connect via USB, the DVD disk appears on the desktop. After clicking, I see .bup and .ifo filenames but the .vro that was renamed to .mpg is gone. When I take the mini disk out of the camera, and place in the external dvd drive, I get the exact same thing. However, when I put the disk in the camcorder, I can still see the thumbnails in the camcorder (but can't watch them), so I think that something has got to be somewhere. When I open the Media Browser in Toast, I see the 26 files that I'm trying to retrieve, but that where I get the "protected" message. Each file has a "lock" icon next to it...

There is no extension to change. The .vro and the .mpg are gone. When I connect via USB, the DVD disk appears on the desktop. After clicking, I see .bup and .ifo filenames but the .vro that was renamed to .mpg is gone. When I take the mini disk out of the camera, and place in the external dvd drive, I get the exact same thing. However, when I put the disk in the camcorder, I can still see the thumbnails in the camcorder (but can't watch them), so I think that something has got to be somewhere. When I open the Media Browser in Toast, I see the 26 files that I'm trying to retrieve, but that where I get the "protected" message. Each file has a "lock" icon next to it...

This seems so strange. You should not have been able to change the extension of any file while it was still on the disc. That seems impossible to me. The thumbnails are probably in the IFO file so that's no guarantee anything else is there. Toast reads the IFO to know that 26 items are on the disc but it can't locate them so it thinks they are copy protected. It's like the renamed .vro files were deleted. It may be that you'll need to send those discs to a data rescue service. The problem is beyond my knowledge.

Do not connect the camcorder. Instead, insert the DVD-RAM or DVD-R disc in your Mac. Then choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser to access the content on the disc, which you then add to the Toast Video window. When the videos are finished being extracted select them and click the Export button and choose either DV or MPEG-4. There is a problem importing the MPEG-4 exports with the newest iMovie that's part of iLife 08. I had to open and resave them in MPEG Streamclip. If this is the route you want to go then I'll go through those steps again to make sure I'm giving you the correct advice. I suggest going with DV.

This is probably my fault for not specifying - my camcorder uses the mini DVD-RAM/DVD-R discs. The discs can not be inserted into the Mac. I assume that I'm out of luck?

This is probably my fault for not specifying - my camcorder uses the mini DVD-RAM/DVD-R discs. The discs can not be inserted into the Mac. I assume that I'm out of luck?

You're not out of luck. Buy an external tray-loading DVD drive. Those can load a mini-DVD disc and aren't very expensive.

This seems so strange. You should not have been able to change the extension of any file while it was still on the disc. That seems impossible to me. The thumbnails are probably in the IFO file so that's no guarantee anything else is there. Toast reads the IFO to know that 26 items are on the disc but it can't locate them so it thinks they are copy protected. It's like the renamed .vro files were deleted. It may be that you'll need to send those discs to a data rescue service. The problem is beyond my knowledge.

You have been extremely helpful and I am thankful for your time! At least I know how to get the files in iMovie and that is more than I started with! When you say data rescue service, can Geek Squad do that?

Do not connect the camcorder. Instead, insert the DVD-RAM or DVD-R disc in your Mac. Then choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser to access the content on the disc, which you then add to the Toast Video window. When the videos are finished being extracted select them and click the Export button and choose either DV or MPEG-4. There is a problem importing the MPEG-4 exports with the newest iMovie that's part of iLife 08. I had to open and resave them in MPEG Streamclip. If this is the route you want to go then I'll go through those steps again to make sure I'm giving you the correct advice. I suggest going with DV.

You have been extremely helpful and I am thankful for your time! At least I know how to get the files in iMovie and that is more than I started with! When you say data rescue service, can Geek Squad do that?

Good place to start. I used a company called Drive Savers one time, but not with that kind of content.

Archived