Sign in to follow this  
dpg50000

Audio Fingerprint Technology

Question

Has anyone tried the "Audio Fingerprint Technology" in Toast 9, as per http://www.roxio.com/eng/products/toast/titanium/listen.html

If you have, how accurate is it for identifying individual tracks? I have loads of untagged MP3's in folders. The tracks in these folders are not always in the same order as the original album, and a lot of them were just ripped straight from my CD's with names such as 01 - Audio track 01 etc, etc.

Also, are the manuals available anywhere on the Roxio website? I would quite like to read up on the new features (esp. the Audio Fingerprinting) in a bit of depth prior to upgrading from Toast 8.

5 answers to this question

Ok - I've upgraded to Toast 9. However, the "Audio Fingerprinting Technology" doesn't seem to work with MP3's. When you go to select new files in CD Spin Doctor, MP3's (and iTunes non-DRM tracks for that matter) are grayed out.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/listen.html seems to show it working with M4A tracks, and says <quote> "Now you can easily identify and tag music tracks recorded from LP, tape or Internet or all those unknown tracks in your library. Song names, artists, genres and more are just a click away! No more "track_01" on your iPod!"

The documentation for CD Spin Doctor is poor at best, it's really no help at all. In fact, the whole Toast 9 product smacks of being rushed.

Does the "Audio Fingerprinting Technology" work with anything other than AIFF files?

I'm looking forward to knowing more about this, too. In the past Spin Doctor only could open AIFF files but that window does show an .m4a so I'll have to test that out when I have some time.

I converted a bunch of MP3 files to AIFF, just to test the identification in CD Spin Doctor. Sure enough, it identifies the tracks well. However, it only allows you to load up one track at a time. What a waste of time.

Seriously considering getting a refund on my upgrade. There's basically nothing in this release for me.

I agree!!! I just purchased Toast 9 as an upgrade from Toast 8 solely for the purpose of tagging my mp3 files since the back of the box clearly says it will identify and tag unknown tracks. The documentation is non existent. I spent close to an hour scouring through the various Toast apps looking for it before I finally figured out where that feature is located. However, I can't get it to load an mp3 to tag it. And it would appear that this product provides no real benefit for users of Toast 8. The UI is pathetic and the documentation is sparse at best. I will be returning this product for a refund. Does anyone know of a product that really does fingerprint and tag music files on the Mac? I had one years ago on the PC but recently switched to the Mac.