Capturing From Mini Dvd's

fhoss

Question

I have a Sony DCR DVD 92 Handycam. I use Sony -R mini discs. On a recent trip I used it and filled two discs. When I captured the 1st disc [after finalizing it of course] using EMC10 the capture went fine except that the chapters did not cut off properly. Each chapter/scene started with about a second of the previous chapter. Now I know I can trim this out in videowave, however, the thumbnails are confusing as they do not dipict the actual chapter [only the end of the last chapter]. Since I still have EMC9 [version 9.1.068 I think] on my computer I captured the 2nd disc [same type disc] using that program. EMC9 cut the chapters off properly.

The easy solution, of course, is use EMC9. However, for some reason EMC9 will only let me capture one chapter at a time where EMC10 will allow me to capture several at one time [althougth it will stop running if you try to capture, say, more than 10 at a time].

Is there a way to get EMC10 to stop overlapping the chapters?

Frank

11 answers to this question

Thanks for your reply.

What program would you suggest I use to copy the disc? Regrettably, I probably know more about using EMC than I do about the rest of my computer. And - will doing this still bring them in as chapters/scenes? I prefer to work with chapters rather than splitting them myself in videowave.

Frank

gpb gave you the instructions. Reread them, you missed something.

After you try this, post your questions.

Thanks for your reply.

What program would you suggest I use to copy the disc? Regrettably, I probably know more about using EMC than I do about the rest of my computer. And - will doing this still bring them in as chapters/scenes? I prefer to work with chapters rather than splitting them myself in videowave.

Frank

Just put your miniDVD in your computer DVD drive, and copy the files to a folder, the same as you would copy anything from one drive to another.

If that miniDVD autostarts, stop it, open My Computer, right click on your DVD drive, and select Explore. You will then see the folders to copy to the folder that you made on your hard drive.

Just put your miniDVD in your computer DVD drive, and copy the files to a folder, the same as you would copy anything from one drive to another.

If that miniDVD autostarts, stop it, open My Computer, right click on your DVD drive, and select Explore. You will then see the folders to copy to the folder that you made on your hard drive.

Again - thanks. I will try what you suggest.

Frank

Lets us know if it works out for you.

I am not able to get it to copy. I did the following:

1) I inserted the same disc EMC had successfully captured [albeit with slightly overlapping chapters] into my DVD drive

2) Went into my Computer and right clicked on the DVD drive

3) selected "Explore"

4) the folder that came up was titled - "Video_TS"

5) I highlighted it and drug it to a folder on my hard drive [a temp folder under my videos]

6) A window came up that clearly suggested it was copying [said 10 items - no idea where that came from as there are about 90 chapters].

7) After a while the copying process would stop [it suggested 6 minutes remaining, or 5 minutes the 2nd time I tried] - I waited anyway for a while then I got the following error message - error Ox8007045D I/O device error.

8) I tried twice and got the same message.

9) Shut down my computer completely and tried again - same results.

I do not know if it is of any moment but I use VLC Media Player as my default player.

I also opened up the folder "Video_TS" and was treated to several folders with .BUP and .IFO extensions. Knowing I was over my head I return for more help.

Frank

I am not able to get it to copy. I did the following:

1) I inserted the same disc EMC had successfully captured [albeit with slightly overlapping chapters] into my DVD drive

2) Went into my Computer and right clicked on the DVD drive

3) selected "Explore"

4) the folder that came up was titled - "Video_TS"

5) I highlighted it and drug it to a folder on my hard drive [a temp folder under my videos]

6) A window came up that clearly suggested it was copying [said 10 items - no idea where that came from as there are about 90 chapters].

7) After a while the copying process would stop [it suggested 6 minutes remaining, or 5 minutes the 2nd time I tried] - I waited anyway for a while then I got the following error message - error Ox8007045D I/O device error.

8) I tried twice and got the same message.

9) Shut down my computer completely and tried again - same results.

I do not know if it is of any moment but I use VLC Media Player as my default player.

I also opened up the folder "Video_TS" and was treated to several folders with .BUP and .IFO extensions. Knowing I was over my head I return for more help.

Frank

The Video_TS folder is what you should see, but you should see some .VOB files in that foldter, too There should be no problem copying it to the computer, unless the disc is bad, but you would have received a different error message. Your DVD burner could be having a problem.

What mode did you record in?

The Video_TS folder is what you should see, but you should see some .VOB files in that foldter, too There should be no problem copying it to the computer, unless the disc is bad, but you would have received a different error message. Your DVD burner could be having a problem.

Not sure what you mean by "mode". I used standard size not widescreen. I have another burner - I will try that. At least I know I can capture by using EMC 10 and 9 as I have already done so for both discs using the same burner.

Frank

I tried my other burner - same results except I never did get the error message.

Tried my 2nd disc in the original burner and, lo and behold, it copied as suggested. So, perhaps, my 1st disc has developed problems since I captured it using EMC.

I was able to bring the copied Video_TS into videowave however, it came in as one movie and not in separate files which would mean, I guess, that I would have to split it myself.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I will continue to experiment.

Frank

I tried my other burner - same results except I never did get the error message.

Tried my 2nd disc in the original burner and, lo and behold, it copied as suggested. So, perhaps, my 1st disc has developed problems since I captured it using EMC.

I was able to bring the copied Video_TS into videowave however, it came in as one movie and not in separate files which would mean, I guess, that I would have to split it myself.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I will continue to experiment.

Frank

Of course it will come in as one movie - if the movie has chapter they only appear when you play the movie!

You will have to define the chapters manually or use scene detection.

I have a Sony DCR DVD 92 Handycam. I use Sony -R mini discs. On a recent trip I used it and filled two discs. When I captured the 1st disc [after finalizing it of course] using EMC10 the capture went fine except that the chapters did not cut off properly. Each chapter/scene started with about a second of the previous chapter. Now I know I can trim this out in videowave, however, the thumbnails are confusing as they do not dipict the actual chapter [only the end of the last chapter]. Since I still have EMC9 [version 9.1.068 I think] on my computer I captured the 2nd disc [same type disc] using that program. EMC9 cut the chapters off properly.

The easy solution, of course, is use EMC9. However, for some reason EMC9 will only let me capture one chapter at a time where EMC10 will allow me to capture several at one time [althougth it will stop running if you try to capture, say, more than 10 at a time].

Is there a way to get EMC10 to stop overlapping the chapters?

Frank

Frank, why are you capturing at all? Copy the mini discs, to a folder on your hard drive, then open VideoWave, and bring those files in, for editing. This works for both EMC 9 and 10.

Frank, why are you capturing at all? Copy the mini discs, to a folder on your hard drive, then open VideoWave, and bring those files in, for editing. This works for both EMC 9 and 10.

Thanks for your reply.

Frank

Archived