Burn Dvds And Play In Car?

uva25

Question

I have many Mpeg4 files that I'd like to burn to a dvd so that I can play it on a long trip in our cars dvd player (Honda, 2 years old). Is this possible in Toast and if so, how? I've been using Toast up to now just to convert tivo shows to mpeg4 format to play on ipod/apple tv. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Well there are a couple possibilities, but there are a couple "that-depends" also:

That Depends

1) Does your car's player support DVD media?

2) Does your car's player support DVD audio?

3)Does your car's player support either MP3 or AAC/MP4 files?

Possibilities:

1) Burn a bunch of MP3s or AAC (mpeg 4 audio) files to a DVD and see if it works

2) Burn a bunch of MP3s or AAC (mpeg 4 audio) files to a CD and see if it works

3) Try the Music DVD format in the audio section of Toast 9. See if that works.

You can probably find most of the answers in the owners manual in the section about the stereo. If not, you may be left with trial and error.

Note: Playing a data (MP3 or AAC/MP4) disc in an audio player that does not support data files may sound terrible and could possibly damage the speakers. Tread lightly if you decide to go the trial and error route.

I have many Mpeg4 files that I'd like to burn to a dvd so that I can play it on a long trip in our cars dvd player (Honda, 2 years old). Is this possible in Toast and if so, how? I've been using Toast up to now just to convert tivo shows to mpeg4 format to play on ipod/apple tv. Thanks.

I think John believes you're trying to burn audio files to a DVD, but my understanding is you are wanting to play video DVDs on the car's DVD player. Is that right? If so, just use the DVD video setting in the Video window, add your MPEG 4 videos, set up the menu the way you want and burn your DVD. You can get about 2-1/2 hours of video on a DVD this way.

I think John believes you're trying to burn audio files to a DVD, but my understanding is you are wanting to play video DVDs on the car's DVD player. Is that right? If so, just use the DVD video setting in the Video window, add your MPEG 4 videos, set up the menu the way you want and burn your DVD. You can get about 2-1/2 hours of video on a DVD this way.

Thanks. The resulting format will work in most dvd players?

Thanks. The resulting format will work in most dvd players?

Right. When choosing the DVD video format in the Video window Toast authors and burns and disc that meets the video DVD spec. The only players that may have problems are ones that don't like the media you used. For example, some players like DVD-R discs better than DVD+R and fewer accept DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs. It's a good idea to buy better brands of media such as Verbatim because media formulations and quality vary.

Archived