Old Unfinalized Cds

foxcole

Question

I really have no idea where to post this question, so am hoping it's appropriate here.

I have CDs created in an unknown version (or versions) of Roxio EasyCD Creator on previous laptops (Win2K and XP) that were for archiving documentation projects and other files. They were not finalized because they were kept open for adding more files. However, the machines on which those CDs were created had died, and the XP machine I now am using does not have Roxio installed.

That means I can no longer read the contents of those unfinalized CDs, and I very much need the files on them. I was hoping for a free trial version of Roxio Easy Media Creator, but I don't see that one is available, even if it would work for this purpose.

What can I do? This is my employer's computer so I can't buy software for it and they will not approve software purchase requests. All I need is to be able to read the files off these old CDs. Are there any other solutions, any suggestions at all? :(

12 answers to this question

I really have no idea where to post this question, so am hoping it's appropriate here.

I have CDs created in an unknown version (or versions) of Roxio on previous laptops (Win2K and XP) that were for archiving documentation projects and other files. They were not finalized because they were kept open for adding more files. However, the machines on which those CDs were created had died, and the XP machine I now am using does not have Roxio installed.

That means I can no longer read the contents of those unfinalized CDs, and I very much need the files on them. I was hoping for a free trial version of Roxio Easy Media Creator, but I don't see that one is available, even if it would work for this purpose.

What can I do? This is my employer's computer so I can't buy software for it and they will not approve software purchase requests. All I need is to be able to read the files off these old CDs. Are there any other solutions, any suggestions at all? :(

You may want to download a trial of ISO Buster or CD Roller. Both are CD recovery programs that may allow you to recover your files. Both have trial versions that will show you what they think they can recover, but you have to buy it to actually do the recovery.

Free trial here http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/creator_trial/

What does it cost to be the ISO Buster PRO???

foxcole hasn't been back since he posted. I hope he wasn't terminated for losing the company data…

IsoBuster Registration Key to unlock PRO functionality [PERSONAL LICENSE] US$ 29.95

IsoBuster Registration Key to unlock PRO functionality [bUSINESS LICENSE] US$ 49.95

cd

What you describe can't happen…

If they were written using a packet writer (DirectCD or Drag to Disc), they are fully readable on XP or Vista since the OS has a reader built in.

If they were Authored using Sessions the last session would be readable. (fortunately that set active session was eliminated in V6 forward)

Soooo how were they written?

What he described cannot happen!

All he has described is that he can't read the discs. That obviously has happened.

He's guessing it's because he needs the software to read them.

You're guessing that he isn't telling you the facts.

Dave is guessing it might be disc failure.

Gary has never used the software, but is guessing that the trial version which doesn't have it, might fix it.

I'm guessing that unless foxcole can install and use ISOBuster he is going to be SOL. :(

Regards,

Brendon

No the trial version doesn't have Drag to Disc but may allow him to close the discs. I've never used D2D so not sure if other apps in the Suite could do that.

If D2D wrote it, only D2D can close it.

All he has described is that he can't read the discs. That obviously has happened.

He's guessing it's because he needs the software to read them.

You're guessing that he isn't telling you the facts.

Dave is guessing it might be disc failure.

Gary has never used the software, but is guessing that the trial version which doesn't have it, might fix it.

I'm guessing that unless foxcole can install and use ISOBuster he is going to be SOL. :(

Regards,

Brendon

I'll put my money on your Guess!!! :lol:

If D2D wrote it, only D2D can close it.

Thanks Jim, I thought that but didn't comment because I haven't used D2D since V6.

I'll put my money on your Guess!!!

ISOBuster is a complex program to understand and use. I had Paule1942 disc, five days before I found the second performance on the disc!

I'll have to buy the IsoBuster PRO [bUSINESS LICENSE] next time.

IsoBuster PRO [bUSINESS LICENSE]

This license model is for professionals. Data recovery services, forensics investigators, optical media industry experts in software or hardware or media, law enforcement, business users all around. Includes Priority and High Tech Support.

cd

What you describe can't happen…

"And bumblebees can't fly." :lol:

It's possible they're CD-RW discs that are getting hard to read too. I agree that ISO Buster or CD Roller are good options here. And if they were made on company equipment, for an approved company use, then the company ought to reimburse/pay for anything needed to recover this company data in my opinion.

"And bumblebees can't fly." :lol:

It's possible they're CD-RW discs that are getting hard to read too. I agree that ISO Buster or CD Roller are good options here. And if they were made on company equipment, for an approved company use, then the company ought to reimburse/pay for anything needed to recover this company data in my opinion.

The OP was alluding that software required to read the discs.

You are referring to media failure.

What you describe is totally different…

Or am I missing something - which does happen! :lol:

The water is very muddy around this subject. :)

The free trial, ogdens posted the link for, does not include the application Drag to Disc (D2D)

cd

No the trial version doesn't have Drag to Disc but may allow him to close the discs. I've never used D2D so not sure if other apps in the Suite could do that.

The OP was alluding that software required to read the discs.

You are referring to media failure.

What you describe is totally different…

Or am I missing something - which does happen! :lol:

Ah... but if it's a media failure, it might not be apparent to the OP which is the problem, media or software. We don't know what sort of error codes, if any, that he's receiving. I'm not arguing that XP ought to be able to read it, however it's formatted, so, what he's describing could happen, as I see it, but not necessarily for the reason he's suggesting.

As CD says, the water is very muddy here.

Archived