10.01 Patch Forces Me To Download Notron 2006

Bob Binns

Question

Hi,

I had Vista Ultimate and the Creator Suite 10 was working. Was having lots of problems with Vista so I re-formatted and installed Vista w/SP1. Now, the tray program is crashing on every windows start.

There is an update link for 10.01, when I download it it installs Norton 2006??? I do not want that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

mailto:bob.binns@binnsware.com

9 answers to this question

Hi All,

I Have a new Install of Vista/SP1. Having trouble with CS10 Tray program crashing on startup. So I tried the 10.01 patch.

When I Download and when run in install package, it pops up a Norton Download manager and will not let me run the install without download Norton. I do not want Norton!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

This is a long shot, but might be worth the trying since somehow your machine thinks it has Norton. Symantec has an utility to clean ALL Norton products off your machine, I do not have the link available, but you should be able to find it on the Symantec site.

edit: It's been a while since I used that utility but if I remember correctly it removes files, registry entries, etc., relating to Norton products. I do not believe it would do any damage to try it but not sure. While at the Symantec site you might check to see if the utility has any issues with Vista SP1, several other anti-virus applications were having compatiablity problems with SP1 due to SP1 replacing the kernal in Vista which affected those AV applications.

edit 2: When you say Creator Suite 10, I assume you mean Easy Meadia Creator 10. If so, while I haven't checked for updates in a couple of weeks, the only one that was available previously was to fix a problem when installing EMC 10 on Windows XP which resulted in NTLDR being deleted which prevented XP from opening. That update corrected the NTLDR problem only. The information posted about that upgrade said nothing was added, that it only fixed a problem involving XP and that Vista users did not need it.

edit 3: (last one I hope) - This is the link to the only EMC 10 update page http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/emc10/software_updates.html. It does state it fixes only the NTLDR problem, nothing added. It does not say anything about Windows XP only, but since NTLDR is not used in Vista there is no need to install that update.

Hi,

I just tried it again, it downloads BOTH the latest CS10 download AND pops up Norton Download Manager. I never had any Norton produce on my PC.

Anyway the download of CS10 is the one I already have.

What I really care about is the CRASH. Any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Bob

See previous post about Norton issue and the EMC update.

However, regarding the CRASH, what is the error message you get when "...the tray program is crashing on every windows start...." occurs?

This is a long shot, but might be worth the trying since somehow your machine thinks it has Norton. Symantec has an utility to clean ALL Norton products off your machine, I do not have the link available, but you should be able to find it on the Symantec site.

edit: It's been a while since I used that utility but if I remember correctly it removes files, registry entries, etc., relating to Norton products. I do not believe it would do any damage to try it but not sure. While at the Symantec site you might check to see if the utility has any issues with Vista SP1, several other anti-virus applications were having compatiablity problems with SP1 due to SP1 replacing the kernal in Vista which affected those AV applications.

edit 2: When you say Creator Suite 10, I assume you mean Easy Meadia Creator 10. If so, while I haven't checked for updates in a couple of weeks, the only one that was available previously was to fix a problem when installing EMC 10 on Windows XP which resulted in NTLDR being deleted which prevented XP from opening. That update corrected the NTLDR problem only. The information posted about that upgrade said nothing was added, that it only fixed a problem involving XP and that Vista users did not need it.

edit 3: (last one I hope) - This is the link to the only EMC 10 update page http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/emc10/software_updates.html. It does state it fixes only the NTLDR problem, nothing added. It does not say anything about Windows XP only, but since NTLDR is not used in Vista there is no need to install that update.

Thanks, so this download is not going to solve my problem. It is EMC10, I'll try re-installing or disabling the tray program....

The Norton thing is some kind of Fluke. I have not seem this with other download so I'm not going to worrry about for now..

Thanks, so this download is not going to solve my problem. It is EMC10, I'll try re-installing or disabling the tray program....

The Norton thing is some kind of Fluke. I have not seem this with other download so I'm not going to worrry about for now..

If you go the re-installing route, be sure and follow the "clean install" steps in http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR - follow them exactly, I re-installed on one of my machines a while back, and following those instructions, had absolutely no problems with the re-install. Others that have not followed them, have had problems.

Hi,

I had Vista Ultimate and the Creator Suite 10 was working. Was having lots of problems with Vista so I re-formatted and installed Vista w/SP1. Now, the tray program is crashing on every windows start.

There is an update link for 10.01, when I download it it installs Norton 2006??? I do not want that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

No, it doesn't. The Norton .exe file must be in the same temp folder where your download was saved.

Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi,

I just tried it again, it downloads BOTH the latest CS10 download AND pops up Norton Download Manager. I never had any Norton produce on my PC.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi All,

I Have a new Install of Vista/SP1. Having trouble with CS10 Tray program crashing on startup. So I tried the 10.01 patch.

When I Download and when run in install package, it pops up a Norton Download manager and will not let me run the install without download Norton. I do not want Norton!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi,

Thanks,

Bob

Strange, I never knew Roxio supplied Norton with the downloads. It must be a fluke.

Archived