Output Compression To Fit On Dvd

nottenst

Question

If you have something slightly over the "best quality" barrier (~1 hour for a single layer DVD), does the rendering process reduce the quality just the amount needed to fit or does it do it in quantized steps? I am guessing that if you select Fit to Disc that it just picks whatever ratio will fit, but I would like to know if anyone actually knows. So, if you have 1hr 5 minutes - would it use an approximately 92% of best quality compression rate to get it to fit?

The various other settings which have names similar to that used with VHS tape (SP, LP, EP) - I would guess are fixed levels of compression in order to nominally fit 2 hours, 4 hours or 6 hours on a 4.7GB disc. Is this the case?

Thanks,

Neil

12 answers to this question

Thanks for sharing that Neil. I have always wondered about that myself and have also done some splitting of video into 2 discs to save the quality. Does anyone know how much over an hour you can get at HQ?? I don't believe it stops at exactly an hour or does it??

Rachel

It is 1 hour and 6 minutes but it also depends on the menu, animations, chapters, audio, transitions etc.

A No Menu project will allow you One more minute.

A disc holds a finite amount of data and everything you put on it takes up room.

It is a matter of math and HQ @ 9mbps fill a disc in 65/66 minutes! Been that way since V6 and not going to change. BTW, that is true for all DVD Movie software.

So our advice that a DVD holds about 1 hour at High Quality is well founded. Likewise for every minute past that, you fit it on there by sacrificing video quality and that cannot be changed.

Guest RCD74
It is 1 hour and 6 minutes but it also depends on the menu, animations, chapters, audio, transitions etc.

A No Menu project will allow you One more minute.

A disc holds a finite amount of data and everything you put on it takes up room.

It is a matter of math and HQ @ 9mbps fill a disc in 65/66 minutes! Been that way since V6 and not going to change. BTW, that is true for all DVD Movie software.

So our advice that a DVD holds about 1 hour at High Quality is well founded. Likewise for every minute past that, you fit it on there by sacrificing video quality and that cannot be changed.

Thanks Jim. That makes sense. I didn't think it would hold much more than an hour at HQ but was curious. I know that I have done some 1 hour 20 min. movies at fit to disc and the quality isn't terrible, yet not as good as 1 hour at HQ.

So, if you have 1hr 5 minutes - would it use an approximately 92% of best quality compression rate to get it to fit?

The various other settings which have names similar to that used with VHS tape (SP, LP, EP) - I would guess are fixed levels of compression in order to nominally fit 2 hours, 4 hours or 6 hours on a 4.7GB disc. Is this the case?

We don't work for Roxio, so we don't really know what compression scheme they use. That question would be best answered by Roxio.

However, grandpabruce's method is generally the one that people have found will give you the best quality.

Thanks Jim. That makes sense. I didn't think it would hold much more than an hour at HQ but was curious. I know that I have done some 1 hour 20 min. movies at fit to disc and the quality isn't terrible, yet not as good as 1 hour at HQ.

I think you will find that if you burn to iso at HQ and then use Copy & Convert, even the 1:20 hour video will look much better then fit to disc.

I am guessing that 'Fit to Disc' is not sophisticated.

I have never tested it but I would guess it acts like a switch.

If HQ doesn't fit, it jumps to SP. If SP doesn't fit, it jumps to LP, etc…

Whereas using Copy & Convert as gpb suggested, it will indeed compress just to the amount needed to fit the destination.

Someday I will get around to making that test, maybe.

I am guessing that 'Fit to Disc' is not sophisticated.

I have never tested it but I would guess it acts like a switch.

If HQ doesn't fit, it jumps to SP. If SP doesn't fit, it jumps to LP, etc…

Whereas using Copy & Convert as gpb suggested, it will indeed compress just to the amount needed to fit the destination.

Someday I will get around to making that test, maybe.

I tried some things out in the last week. The fit to disc appears to start off with HQ. I had something that was over 2 hours in length and choosing HQ, it was over 1 disc by some amount of time (~45 minutes I think). Going to SP was still over. Going to Fit to Disc it found a setting between LP and SP. So, it does show you some idea of compression level range it will use. The resulting product, which was between LP and SP, looked absolutely terrible, so I went back (using the trim feature in Videowave) and made two one-hour projects in HQ which looked very nice.

Neil

If you have something slightly over the "best quality" barrier (~1 hour for a single layer DVD), does the rendering process reduce the quality just the amount needed to fit or does it do it in quantized steps? I am guessing that if you select Fit to Disc that it just picks whatever ratio will fit, but I would like to know if anyone actually knows. So, if you have 1hr 5 minutes - would it use an approximately 92% of best quality compression rate to get it to fit?

Thanks,

Neil

I recommend not using anything but HQ (High Quality), and burning to an image (.iso) file or Folder Set, then burning that file, to a DVD, using Video Copy and Convert. The quality will be better than the Fit To Disc option.

Guest RCD74
I tried some things out in the last week. The fit to disc appears to start off with HQ. I had something that was over 2 hours in length and choosing HQ, it was over 1 disc by some amount of time (~45 minutes I think). Going to SP was still over. Going to Fit to Disc it found a setting between LP and SP. So, it does show you some idea of compression level range it will use. The resulting product, which was between LP and SP, looked absolutely terrible, so I went back (using the trim feature in Videowave) and made two one-hour projects in HQ which looked very nice.

Neil

Thanks for sharing that Neil. I have always wondered about that myself and have also done some splitting of video into 2 discs to save the quality. Does anyone know how much over an hour you can get at HQ?? I don't believe it stops at exactly an hour or does it??

Rachel

Archived