• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Email Ad Is False

jhillestad

Question

A Roxio ad was emailed to me today for Toast 9 and in the AD it clearly states this phrase :

Learn How to :

How to take high-def video from your AVCHD camcorder, and burn a standard DVD readable on any Blu-ray or HD DVD set-top box, including the PlayStation 3. Of course, you can also burn directly to Blu-ray media with a Blu-ray recorder.

This implies that you can take an mts file and make a playable hi def movie from a dvd-r on a PS3 !!!! YOU CANT! the PS3 sees it as a DATA DISC and will NOT play it !!!!! This has been complained about on these forums and when I brought up the ad mentions PS3 by name some Roxio employee posted it was Sonys fault and not Toasts then locked the discussion !

I would like Roxio in DETAIL to explain how I can make an avchd mts file and play it back on a PS3 in hi def on a standard dvd-r media like the AD implies please.

Addendum :

** As of 3/29/08 Version 9.02 FIXED the problem ** PS3 can now playback hi def video made with Toast on normal dvd-r's **

5 answers to this question

Here is the thread that contradicts their own Ad :

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=36451

The thread ends with it being blamed on a PS3 limitation and then the roxio employee LOCKS any further discussion about it.

Here are the pic of the AD :

http://flickr.com/photos/54726479@N00/2369026709/sizes/o/

Here is a pic of that thread that got magically locked :

http://flickr.com/photos/54726479@N00/2369866300/sizes/o/

Here is a you tube video I made to explain why this ad is misleading :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7za1sLsaUg

A Roxio ad was emailed to me today for Toast 9 and in the AD it clearly states this phrase :

Learn How to :

How to take high-def video from your AVCHD camcorder, and burn a standard DVD readable on any Blu-ray or HD DVD set-top box, including the PlayStation 3. Of course, you can also burn directly to Blu-ray media with a Blu-ray recorder.

This implies that you can take an mts file and make a playable hi def movie from a dvd-r on a PS3 !!!! YOU CANT! the PS3 sees it as a DATA DISC and will NOT play it !!!!! This has been complained about on these forums and when I brought up the ad mentions PS3 by name some Roxio employee posted it was Sonys fault and not Toasts then locked the discussion !

I would like Roxio in DETAIL to explain how I can make an avchd mts file and play it back on a PS3 in hi def on a standard dvd-r media like the AD implies please.

The disc plays back in many Blu-ray players, not playing back on the PS3 specifically is a bug.

After it was brought to our attention, we went through and removed specially calling out the PS3 on this feature on our product landing page to help avoid any confusion.

All of that said, I apologize. If you're not happy with the the update when released tonight, please send me a private message including your phone number and I'd be happy to give you a call and try to make things right.

It did take a few days longer to get the update ready, but it will be launched much later this evening so everyone will have it bright and early tomorrow morning.

Thanks

The disc plays back in many Blu-ray players, not playing back on the PS3 specifically is a bug.

After it was brought to our attention, we went through and removed specially calling out the PS3 on this feature on our product landing page to help avoid any confusion.

All of that said, I apologize. If you're not happy with the the update when released tonight, please send me a private message including your phone number and I'd be happy to give you a call and try to make things right.

It did take a few days longer to get the update ready, but it will be launched much later this evening so everyone will have it bright and early tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Confused .... the update is fixing the PS3 problem ? if so - thats awesome news....!

Just tested it on some avchd files and IT WORKS ! Awesome !

I even threw a menu in for good measure and played as expected ! This is what was expected when I first used Toast 9 based on what I read in the description which also was exactly and sorely needed in the avchd world of video ! If the elgato video editor could only do cut and paste in native avchd I would do the Elvis shakes .... Toast 9 can really take off with avchd ! Putting hi def video on cheaper dvd-r really makes avchd sweet - this was a crucial fix ... awesome.

Archived