• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Vhs To Dvd

Wetoad

Question

This has likely been asked before. But.... here goes. I have Roxio media 10. I'm trying to "figure out" how to copy VHS tapes. I've gone to my capture video section and what I have is "there are no devices for this media type" when I go to this page. From reading the other questions, I see "Dazzle" mentioned numerous times. Do I need this software or something like before I'm able to use this option?

9 answers to this question

What types of VHS tapes?

If they are commercial (ex. Disney movies), I don't think you should bother. Unless I am wrong, they will have Macrovision encoded into the video which will in all likelihood send a signal to your computer that prevents it from copying it. :(

Guest RCD74
This has likely been asked before. But.... here goes. I have Roxio media 10. I'm trying to "figure out" how to copy VHS tapes. I've gone to my capture video section and what I have is "there are no devices for this media type" when I go to this page. From reading the other questions, I see "Dazzle" mentioned numerous times. Do I need this software or something like before I'm able to use this option?

You will need something connected to your computer to be able to capture from vhs tapes. I have a hauppage tv tuner card and have a vcr connected to it to capture from. I am not familiar with Dazzle but I am pretty sure it connects to your computer and then a vcr can be connected to that. You will need a "middle man" to connect your vcr to the computer. I hope that helps!

Rachel

Dazzle is mentioned because it comes included in Easy Media Creator 10 DELUXE Suite.

Is this a Dell computer that came with Roxio Media 10? How are you hooking the VHS up to the computer?

Dazzle is mentioned because it comes included in Easy Media Creator 10 DELUXE Suite.

Is this a Dell computer that came with Roxio Media 10? How are you hooking the VHS up to the computer?

No, I bought the software at Futureshop. To hook it to my computer I was using "Pure AV -Y Audio Cable"

We still need to know what you're hooking that up to on your computer.

As was mentioned earlier, you need a capture device - like a capture card or a device that converts the analog signal to a digital signal through the USB port.

We still need to know what you're hooking that up to on your computer.

As was mentioned earlier, you need a capture device - like a capture card or a device that converts the analog signal to a digital signal through the USB port.

I think you are correct about the capture device. I just assumed my computer had one since it's a Compaq Presario Multi media system/computer. and is just a couple years old. I was talking with a very computer literate friend today and he said that if my computer had a video capture card the program would recognize it. Now, I guess my next step at the moment is looking into to getting one of those cards as long as they are not too expensive.

Thank you to everyone for helping me figure this out! Very much appreciated.

Cheers

Karen

Now, I guess my next step at the moment is looking into to getting one of those cards as long as they are not too expensive.

If you have a video capture card, you should have ports similar to those on the VHS. They're usually on the back of the computer. The device should also be listed in your Windows Control Panel\ Device Manager.

You might also need a sound card for that video capture card and it depends on what you consider 'expensive'. You need to make certain that both meet the specifications for EMC 10. You also need to have enough expansion slots to install them.

While you're looking, take a look at the Dazzle devices. That might be the least expensive and easiest to use. Also, some camcorders have pass through signal converters, but if you don't already own one, that's probably the most expensive option.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Archived