• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"reading" Error

superumagon

Question

I have had this program for about half a year now, and it has been working fine most of the time. But, almost about a month ago, it started to have problems. It wouldn't be able to read the disc when I inserted it into the drive. After watching the light blinking for a while, it would stop blinking and turn off, telling me, "There is no disc in the recorder." This only happens with the DVD+RW drive. The CD+RW drive can read the disc and Drag-to-Disc works with CD+/-R's, but the DVD+/-R's aren't able to be read. Also, when I go to eject the disc, it sometimes won't eject and the disc tray will go in and out, and sometimes just stick out a little, without coming out all the way. If anyone can help me with these problems, thanks in advance!

7 answers to this question

I just tried to eject the disc from the Drag-to-Disc menu and it ejected it. Apparently, the program knows that there is a DVD disc in the drive, but it won't register it to open the contents folder or burn something on it.

The eject routine is unconditional, and doesn't need a disc in the drive for the command to execute.

A dirty read lens will produce the symptoms you're seeing

I have had this program for about half a year now, and it has been working fine most of the time. But, almost about a month ago, it started to have problems. It wouldn't be able to read the disc when I inserted it into the drive. After watching the light blinking for a while, it would stop blinking and turn off, telling me, "There is no disc in the recorder." This only happens with the DVD+RW drive. The CD+RW drive can read the disc and Drag-to-Disc works with CD+/-R's, but the DVD+/-R's aren't able to be read. Also, when I go to eject the disc, it sometimes won't eject and the disc tray will go in and out, and sometimes just stick out a little, without coming out all the way. If anyone can help me with these problems, thanks in advance!

Hard to tell but you could be looking at a drive starting to do bad. I suggest you first try a good cleaning. I use a cd which has 2 small brushes on it to clean well. If you get a liquid cleaning kit, only use water or pure alcohol.

Where can you buy one of those cleaning CD's? I'll try the water and pure alcohol. Maybe the drive's just a little dirty.

-Edit-

I just tried to eject the disc from the Drag-to-Disc menu and it ejected it. Apparently, the program knows that there is a DVD disc in the drive, but it won't register it to open the contents folder or burn something on it.

Cleaning the drive every so often is always a good idea, but from the simptoms given, door sticking half way open etc. I suggest at the low cost for new drive, trash the old one and get a new drive. How old is the drive you have and what make ? If the drive is still quite new and you just have used it a lot then cleaning might be the way to go. But once these optical drives start acting up it's usually a sign it's on it's way to the big drive heaven :)

Frank.....

Where can you buy one of those cleaning CD's? I'll try the water and pure alcohol. Maybe the drive's just a little dirty.

-Edit-

I can't promise a cleaning will fix your problem but depending on how much burning you do, it should be done at least monthly and that's not just on computers.

I think I got mine a Circuit City a while back but any electronics store should have them....Radio Shack, maybe even office warehouses.

I can't promise a cleaning will fix your problem but depending on how much burning you do, it should be done at least monthly and that's not just on computers.

I think I got mine a Circuit City a while back but any electronics store should have them....Radio Shack, maybe even office warehouses.

I got a disc cleaner CD at Radio Shack for $13.00; later found them at Bartell Drug Stores (regional chain) for $5. Shop around.

Lynn

Actually, Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, DirectCD, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) is notorious for being fussy about being read, and generally losing track of the data.

If you want the convenience, get a Flash drive (aka Thumb / Pen / Jump / Keychain drive).

If you want a backup, use a Sessions-based program, like Classic Creator or the built-in WinXP burning which works like drag&drop but is actually Sessions. And CD-R.

Lynn

Archived