• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rep. Berman: Pro-ip Bill Will Become Law In 2008

cdanteek

article

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.--Rep. Howard Berman, who heads a congressional panel in charge of writing copyright legislation, lashed out at Internet pirates this week and defended his effort to add stiffer anticopying penalties to federal law.

Berman, a Democrat who represents the congressional district near Hollywood, said at a technology policy conference here that he was on track to enact the so-called Pro-IP Act by the end of 2008. The bill ratchets up civil penalties for copyright infringement and creates a new federal agency charged with bringing about a national and international copyright crackdown.

Pro-IP Act by the end of 2008 article click here.

It's no joke. Top Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday introduced a sweeping 69-page bill that ratchets up civil penalties for copyright infringement, boosts criminal enforcement, and even creates a new federal agency charged with bringing about a national and international copyright crackdown.

Will they go after people making copies of out-of-print CDs?

What about the CD I aquired recently still in plastic-wrap that turned out to be warped, and I consider myself lucky to have extracted the contents to .wav and thence to a CD-R?

Lynn

If only they were so eager to address health care, poverty, or the national debt.

Now that's an idea! Actually do something to help people. So you think those running for office aren't sincere when they say THEY can make a change? Imagine that.

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more.

Hey, that all big business talking. When they loose money it doesn't matter what it is thet are loosing it on.They will fight that till doomsday. But they don't get a rats a%@ if people can but a loaf of bread or not.

Frank...

I can just imagine it . . "We didn't set the compound alight and burn the people - It was the 'Bunch DVD-ian' people who did it to themselves to stop our RIAA tanks going in and confiscating their CD writer."

:(

Archived