Downloading Track Information Via Gracenotes

froggyted

Question

Hi.

I have a Packard Bell Easynote MX37. I'm trying to copy an audio cd using the preinstalled Roxio Creator 9LE, but i notice that it doesn't download the tracklisting. According to the Help Files it should do this when 'Enable audio disc information download' is selected in the Options tabs. I notice that the when i open up Media Centre the tracks are listed, but i want to burn using Roxio and import the tracklisting to the burned cd. Does anybody have any ideas? Am i supposed to enter a proxy server address in the Options tab? With my last pc i used Nero, and had no problems downloading tracklistings - in fact i think that Nero also used the Gracenote database. However, neither the Roxio Help files or the link to the Gracenote site give any useful information on setting this up, other than to select the aformentioned option on the Options tabs.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

13 answers to this question

Hello,

In the retail version of Easy Media Creator 9, setting that option does enable downloads from Gracenote. If you look further into the help system you should find a tiny note buried down the bottom underneath everything which says that not all features are available in some versions. It seems that nobody has bothered to tailor the help files to any specific version, so one-size-fits-all. :(

Your Roxio Creator Light Edition might not have this feature available.

Hi sknis. Neither of those options were available, but thanks for your suggestions anyway.

This thread got a little long and confusing with the OEM discussion and with the software options. Just in case I missed something.

Do you have Roxio Label Creator? If so, go to the top menu and select Tools. Options and Make sure that the box next to "Enable ..."

If you have done that and you still can't connect, there was a trick with an earlier version that did not want to go to the on line data base. Put a commercial disc into your burner. Go to Audio Tag Editor (again if you have that) and add the music that is on the disc. If you see the pop up on the top left of the screen, then you are in business and it should work from now on. If not, sorry.

And the software question; the Best software is ..................... the one that seems logical to you and that causes the minimum amount of crashes. Those are the two reasons I went to Roxio after owning and trying a bunch of others.

Thanks cdanteek, i'll have a good look at both of those. I've had all sorts of problems with both the dvd drive and Roxio recently. Firstly my pc wouldn't recognise the dvd drive, possibly as a result of recent software upgrades including Vista Service Pack 1. The Packard Bell site advised me to make some registry changes. This solved the problem, but now Roxio won't recognise the dvd drive, even though Windows Media Centre etc. do. Aaaarrrghhh!

Roxio EMC 9, 30 Day Free Trial.....Click here..

Nero 8, 15 Day Free Trial......Click here...

You decide!!!!

cd

That is a Ford vs Chevy questions :D

I prefer Roxio, but there are some who prefer Nero, or Ulead or Adobe or Vegas or… well you get the idea.

I guess with this being a Roxio forum it was a bit of a daft question to ask, Jim! :-) Are there any particulary reasons why you prefer Roxio; is it a more intuitive interface, or does it give technically better end-results? I have used an early version of Nero on a previous pc and found it did all i wanted it to in an efficient and sometimes humorours (the Roman crowd notification sounds!) way; however, my girlfriend, who works in IT, says the latest version of Nero has been criticised - i don't know whether you've heard any such thing?

With the LE version of Roxio i have i tried doing an audio copy and typing in the tracklisting. However, unlike the version of Nero i had, Roxio LE doesn't seem to differentiate between cd audio compilation and cd audio copy (viz. the 'Create Audio CD' option is to create a compilation and there's no 'Copy' option. As a result, the finished disc had a slight pause inserted in between what were meant to be contiguous tracks. I'm now going to try to copy the disc using the Copy Disc option. This should resolve this problem but won't allow me to add the tracklisting information to the finished disc, which is disappointing.

This thread got a little long and confusing with the OEM discussion and with the software options. Just in case I missed something.

Do you have Roxio Label Creator? If so, go to the top menu and select Tools. Options and Make sure that the box next to "Enable ..."

If you have done that and you still can't connect, there was a trick with an earlier version that did not want to go to the on line data base. Put a commercial disc into your burner. Go to Audio Tag Editor (again if you have that) and add the music that is on the disc. If you see the pop up on the top left of the screen, then you are in business and it should work from now on. If not, sorry.

And the software question; the Best software is ..................... the one that seems logical to you and that causes the minimum amount of crashes. Those are the two reasons I went to Roxio after owning and trying a bunch of others.

It isn't Free!

Packard Bell paid for that OEM software and that was passed on to you…

There is nothing wrong with bundling cut down software. I would venture that the majority of PC owners will never burn a disc in their life!

That OEM software is then bloated overkill for that group…

I don't know how many unopened copies of MS Works went into the trash on arrival.

Choice is yours, you'll spend the same for the Retail version of Nero or Roxio.

Ok, point taken Jim. I must admit, i haven't used the packaged MS Works - i prefer Word and Excel. Are you in a position to say which out of the Nero and Roxio packages is the better performer? I tend to use my burner for cd copying and compilations mainly, with the occasional dvd copy.

I totally agree Brendon. It smacks of offering you a 'freebie' merely to get you to buy something else. Mind you, the edition i have seems capable of most things and i could of course type the tracklistings in, but the fade-in and fade-out features are important when you you want to record a track for a compilation which runs into the adjoining track on the original. I also have Media Centre installed so i'll have a look at what that can do (not a lot, is suspect, although it does seem to download tracklistings ok); if this doesn't do all i require maybe i'll have to buy a copy of Nero, which i used with my last pc and found very capable.

I totally agree Brendon. It smacks of offering you a 'freebie' merely to get you to buy something else. Mind you, the edition i have seems capable of most things and i could of course type the tracklistings in, but the fade-in and fade-out features are important when you you want to record a track for a compilation which runs into the adjoining track on the original. I also have Media Centre installed so i'll have a look at what that can do (not a lot, is suspect, although it does seem to download tracklistings ok); if this doesn't do all i require maybe i'll have to buy a copy of Nero, which i used with my last pc and found very capable.

It isn't Free!

Packard Bell paid for that OEM software and that was passed on to you…

There is nothing wrong with bundling cut down software. I would venture that the majority of PC owners will never burn a disc in their life!

That OEM software is then bloated overkill for that group…

I don't know how many unopened copies of MS Works went into the trash on arrival.

Choice is yours, you'll spend the same for the Retail version of Nero or Roxio.

Hello,

In the retail version of Easy Media Creator 9, setting that option does enable downloads from Gracenote. If you look further into the help system you should find a tiny note buried down the bottom underneath everything which says that not all features are available in some versions. It seems that nobody has bothered to tailor the help files to any specific version, so one-size-fits-all. :(

Your Roxio Creator Light Edition might not have this feature available.

Hi Brendon, many thanks for your reply. I hadn't noticed that - the Help Files simply seemed to imply that it should work. In fact, i didn't realise that LE stood for Light Edition - i thought i had a full working edition! Now i know this i won't waste any more time trying to sort it out - thanks! I'm rather disappointed that this feature doesn't work, it means i'll have to manually type tracklistings in, which is tedious. The Light Edition doesn't seem to allow fade-ins and fade-outs either. Do you know whether the full edition has these features? I've previously used an earlier release of Nero, which i found very good, and incorporated both the fade features and Gracenotes downloads.

Archived